“Tanner-Beamer Trail” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tanner Trail

Tanner Trail
Begins at Lipan Point, a few miles west of Desert View, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ 86023
928 638 7888
Improve this listing
Bloomington, Indiana
“Tanner-Beamer Trail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This was my second backbacking trip. I will say first off, take plenty of water and if spending the night invest in a water filter to pump water. We did, as we also cook. Second, I can walk for days, but I do not like to carry anything. So backpacking is a challenge. My partners are quite experienced and are confident that I can do these trails. The Tanner was fabulous. Very difficult. You must be well conditioned. Started off with cool sections of patchy ice. Wear clamp ons, they are life savers. Then, the heat came on. Spectacular veiws. Can't say enough about them. Camp sites at the bottom available. Beamer, was another big challenge. Got a late start, and the temperatures were high. Slowly made our way to the LCR in the dark. Gotta love the challenges. Next day, back to the Tanner for the another night of star filled night sky. Began our ascent after a good breakfast. We were only going to the saddle, as we knew a storm was expected late that evening. The wind and rain came through the night and a little snow was falling as we awoke. Above us the rim was covered. How different everything looked. Beautiful. We headed up. Funny that I felt this was much easier than going down. We arrived at the top to a very HEAVY snow storm. Would not have had it any other way. Always be cautious of how and where you step, especially if the ground is covered with snow. Hind site. Should have had one more full day to enjoy the Beamer.

Visited March 2012

Ottawa, Canada
29 attraction reviews
“Excellent trail, very tough but well marked”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I can’t believe there’s only one review of this great trail in TripAdvisor! This trail starts about 100 m south from the Lipan Point parking lot and goes down to the river. You can leave your car at Lipan Point. I walked about halfway down the Tanner trail in March 2012, a total of 6 km down the canyon and back and it took about 3 hours. Despite the snow and ice during the first 600 m, it was relatively easy to go down. I stopped several times, took a lot of photos and checked the geology of the rocks very closely. It was a sunny day around 20C and I had about 2 litres of water in my light backpack and that was barely enough. The scenery along the way and in the bottom of the canyon was outstanding! I have to admit that climbing back to the south rim was very tough, it is STEEP and you have to pace yourself well. The trail is very well marked, no worries about that at all. Generally, I would highly recommend this trail in spring and fall time but might not go during a hot summer day. Be careful and if nothing else, have enough water with you, at least 3-4 liters per person if you go all the way.

Visited March 2012
none
“Very difficult, for experienced only! dangerous!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

This trail drops from Lipan Point down to the river. It is very difficult as it drops 5,000 feet and is poorly , or in most cases, not marked. If you get off the trail it is extremely easy to get lost and end up on a cliff or to an impossible area. . If you go in the summer and you don't bring 2 liters/ per day you will likely become dehydrated, confused, lose the trail and fall off a 3000 foot cliff and die. If you take a pee in the middle of the night from your tent, you will fall off a 3,000 foot cliff and die. If you go in the shade you will be bitten by a rattle snake. If you take any shortcuts at all you will get lost and die. If you do not shake out your sleeping bags in the morning, you will be bitten by a tarantula or scorpion. If you have any knee problems, then on the way down you will not make it and likely run out of water and die. If you go in the winter, then completely expect a BLIZZARD (yes a freaking blizzard!!!) to roll in while you are dangling off a 1 foot wide cliff that drops 3,000 feet. This blizzard will turn the cliff face you are clinging to to slippery mud, then you will slip off and die. ( FYI: I am not making this up, when my hiking partner and I climbed out of the canyon in March, we were met witha blizzard!!!!)
On your return, please, please, please , I BEG of you: split the ascent into 2 days. Only people of superhuman strength can get out of the canyon in one day and you and I are not 2 of them. Plan 2 DAYS for the ascent out of the canyon.
There is a wonderful book in the grand canyon gift shop that details approx 300 deaths in the canyon, all of them can happen to you on this trail. There is a great line in the book: "often in the grand canyon, the margin between life and death was a slim one." This applies very succintly to the Tanner trail.

Visited March 2011