“Around the Bend in the best out of Flagstaff” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Offering guided hiking, sight seeing tours, backpacking trips and custom private tours of Grand Canyon National Park. We tour 365 days per year, seven days a week!
San Francisco, California
“Around the Bend in the best out of Flagstaff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

We found Around The Bend Adventures through these tripadvisor.com recommendations, and your continuous praise for Wes and his crew was right on. On a coast to coast driving trip, we arranged with Sarah, spoke to Christine to confirm, and had Wes as our tour guide. Each person exhibited the epitome of professionalism, and at the end, you feel part of the Around the Bend family, all the while having accomplished one of the greatest and most fun feats, hiking the spectacular Grand Canyon. They say that "as much as you've seen of the Grand Canyon, the first time you see it, it never disappoints". That was true, and true with Around the Bend too. We would recommend Around the Bend to anyone! and if it's your first time, do the Kaibab trail Day Hike.

Ottawa, Canada
“Better than I could have imagined”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

Around the Bend took us on the South Kaibab trail in icy weather down to Phantom ranch. To be truthful, I really thought the weather was going to ruin our plans but the guide REALLY pulled an amazing day out of his hat. I learned a lot, saw a lot, and came away KNOWING I had a once in a life time experience that I'll always cherish. The food was great - and they even catered to some specific concerns I had. We were only a group of four - I don't know how common such a small group is but that was really nice too so we could go at our own pace. I'd definitely say this is a worthwhile trip to do and I think it's a much better look at the canyon instead of just seeing it from the rim.

Ventura, California
“Worth the money!! And cost less money than other guided trips...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

This guided trip was much more educational than going without a guide would have been. Because they knew where to take you, it wasn't as crowded but you got to see the same sites. Wes was fabulous--funny and nice. We went very early in the season (mid-March) and they were willing to take us (just 2) even though no one else signed up!

Sydney, Australia
“Brilliant Local Guide to one of the Wonders of the World 10 out of 10 from me!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

In January 2010, Wes Neal took me on an overnight hike down the South Kaibab and up the Bright Angel Trail, camping at the Bright Angel Campground next to Phantom Ranch. I've been lucky enough to travel lots of places and do lots of hiking, especially at home in Australia but this was an absolute standout. Wes went completely above and beyond all my expectations. When I booked it felt like a lot of money but pretty soon after I arrived it became apparent I had got a bargain. Wes was a lovely bloke and as a single gal travelling alone I couldn't have asked for a more perfect gentleman. He was very focused on safety without making me anxious and was constantly encouraging when I was finding the terrain incredibly tough without ever being condescending or annoying. As we hiked Wes shared lots of great stories about the geology, history and folklore of the Canyon which really added to my experience of the place in a way that wouldn't have been possible without this true local knowledge. The Grand Canyon is a majestic place, and whilst it's breathtaking from the top, I didn't really get its true appeal until I was inside it. If you are in good enough health to take one of the hikes down I very highly recommend it; if you're not sure what you can handle send Wes an email, I exchanged about 15 with him when I was planning my trip! This was truly one of the best cusotmer service experiences I have ever had and I hope to save up and come back to beautiful Arizona to take a river trip with Around the Bend to spend longer than 2 days in the Canyon one day in the future. Other tips - pack light, clip your toenails and take a camelback instead of a water bottle.

SC
3 attraction reviews
“WONDERFUL TRIP!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

We had a great day with Wes. He's knowledgeable, personable, and you can tell he enjoys his work. We did a day hike on the South Kaibab trail and I was nervous about it because I'm 50 and not in great shape. Of course I was the slowest headed back up. Wes hung with me and kept me encouraged. He's a great guide. I don't hesitate to recommend him and if the chance arises we'll certainly use him again.