“Shocked at this place” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Trailer Village

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Canyon National Park
Trailer Village
You added Trailer Village to your Saves list
Grand Canyon Village, 1/2 mile from South Rim, adjacent to Mather Campground, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ 86023   |
Tampa
“Shocked at this place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We have been traveling over 16 months, visited over 120 RV parks, writing a book about RV-ing and shocked to see this place. The roads and sites are crumbling, almost the worst site we have ever seen in terms of level...our back wheels were off the ground, no Wi-Fi, no showers in the camp, the bathrooms were clean but aging, and this place was not cheap! The NPS and Xanterra should be ashamed . You check in at the gate and the person there had all our dates wrong and the computer was down.This is no place for a large class A.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Xanterra, Manager at Trailer Village, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback here on TripAdvisor. I apologize that we failed to meet basic expectations during your recent visit.

Should you decide to take another trip to the South Rim, please don't hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do to make your experience much more enjoyable.

mharding@xanterra.com

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed here during our recent trip to the Grand Canyon. Our site was E25. It was extremely un-level. The best I can say is it's close to the canyon and yes a free (blue route) shuttle is right at the entrance to the RV park and it does have hook-ups. It also has all the acorns you want dropping on top of your RV. Kind of sounded like popcorn popping all night long.

The price is steep for what you get. You are right on top of your neighbor. Couldnt sit at our picnic table because I didn't want to look at neighbors sewer line, while eating.

Again it is close. But for 37.00 (including tax) a night roads should be better, trees could be trimmed, grass could be cut, and pull through could be level. Also don't forget the additional cost of getting into the park, which is on top of this.

If you have a toad, stay at one of the parks outside the park.

The park is a must see. We watched a wonderful sunset and then had a great dinner at the Arizona Room. We then had to run to catch the last bus which runs at 9:30pm. Otherwise it would have been a long walk back to our RV.

• Stayed September 2012
Xanterra, Manager at Trailer Village, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback here on TripAdvisor. Trailer Village is scheduled for a remodel of the sites and roads next summer. We will do one half of Trailer Village one month and then the other half the next month. We are also remodeling the two bathroom facilities (with sinks and toilets) that are located in Trailer Village although most RVs have their own bathrooms. This will be nice for those that don’t like some pop-up tent trailers. Camper Village in the town of Tusayan is close by and you can stay there for $40 to $55 depending on the amperage you need and whether you want water and electricity. Flintstone Village in the small community of Valle is considerably less expensive than both Trailer Village and Camper Village but it is also a one way drive of just under 30 miles. My hope is that if you return, you will see a much improved Trailer Village and not have any desire to stay outside the park. Should you decide to make another trip to the South Rim, please don't hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do to make your experience much more enjoyable.

mharding@xanterra.com
Aarhus, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Overall a good campground and a nice base for visitng the Grand Canyon.

Postives

• Free shuttle bus that takes you to canyon view points
• Staff in the campground reception was very helpful and friendly
• Bathrooms as well as public areas of the camground were cleaned regulary

Negatives

• Showers are around a half mile walk from the campground cost $2 and were very busy expect lines during peak periods.
• Camground has the parking lot feel, many units very close together. I would not recommend for those who want to spend a great deal of time at your site or want privacy.
• Bathrooms are aging and in need of an upgrade

Hartsburg, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The roads are in disrepair, and the sites a tired looking, but hey you're right in the heart of the grand canyon south rim! No wifi but they have decent cable tv. Would stay here again!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Port Macquarie, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

The sites are not level and you feel like you've been put out of eyesight for other visitors. The restaurants are dated and could do with a freshening up, the food is pretty avenge too. No showers here either. The shuttle buses are excellent and get you to all other areas in the park easily. Best part was when an Elk just strolled up to our site, antlers the whole bit, very cool. Oh yeah no pool ere either.

York County, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I was once again more than underwhelmed by the quality of the RV facilities at our National Parks. Although not tightly configured "parking-lot style" like Yellowstone, the RV sites were adequately long and provided basic electric, water, sewer, and cable, but many (including ours) were unlevel side-to-side as well as front-to-back. Unfortunately the bathhouses did not include showers and lacked even simple shelves and/or hooks necessary to hold your shave kit. I imagined some bureaucrat in Washington declaring, "Let them use their RVs." when I asked the host where the showers were. I was told to follow a paved path for a short 5-7 minute walk to the nearby Mather Campground. They tell it to you this way so they don't have to say it's nearly a mile round trip (I measured it at 4/10 of a mile each way from the RV village entrance. If you're in the back of the village you'll walk least a mile. Luckily they do have parking if you can drive and avoid having to take a shower after walking back from your shower). Did I mention they are coin operated? Two dollars for eight minutes. This is long enough for most folks but you can't incrementally add additional quarters so if you have long hair enjoy the extra minutes of hot water to "get your money's worth." Forget wi-fi or cell coverage at this facility. We were consistently frustrated when the local market wi-fi was down for over two days (the "IT professional was out sick" we were told). I just can't help from feeling RV'ers are second class citizens at these National Parks and that the RV facilities are just an afterthought. Unfortunately they are the only game in town so if you want to stay at the park you'll put up with mediocre quality and lack of amenities. I would consider the RV park in Tusayan if I returned. Tusayan is just 7 miles South of GC Village just outside the park.

Xanterra, Manager at Trailer Village, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback on your stay at Trailer Village. We use feedback like yours to monitor, and ultimately help improve, quality levels at all of our in-park facilities.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for an experience that did not meet your expectations. I would also like to apologize for the misinformation you were given with regard to the location of the showers and other in-park amenities. I have shared your comments with my fellow team members so we can look for ways to improve.

I hope your recent experience doesn't prevent you from returning to the South Rim and staying at Trailer Village or any of our other in-park lodges. If you return, please let me know so I have an opportunity to guarantee your complete and total satisfaction.

Grand Canyon South Rim
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

This was an awesome park for r.v.'s. The best about it, it's right in the park. And if you don't want to drive around to see the sites, there is a FREE shuttle that stops right at the campground. Perfect! The only downside..no showers here. But full hook-ups make up for that. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Trailer Village? Share your experiences!