“Either very good or excellent, depending on why you are there” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mather Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Canyon National Park
Mather Campground
Save Saved
You added Mather Campground to your Saves list
Grand Canyon Village, Near Mathers Amphitheater, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ 86023   |
Branford
“Either very good or excellent, depending on why you are there”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This campground compares favorably, but not remarkably, with other campgrounds. I rate it "very good". But... given the utter unavailability, as well as VERY high prices of any motel rooms within 20 miles of the canyon, I rate this campground "excellent". I booked the site very last minute, all of the other lodging had been sold out months earlier. Clean, but not spotless. Quiet, especially given how big a campground it is. All of the facilities were well maintained. The check-in was a problem, as the campground office was literally never open while I was at the campground. THey were closed when I arrived at 8PM, closed the next morning when I went out for my run over to the North Rim and back, and closed when I got back at 8:30 PM. I wound up "checking-in" when I "checked-out" on day 3, but they gave me no problems. Given the rustic nature of much of the "in the park" lodging, I think the campground represents an excellent value for visiting an amazing National Park.

Room Tip: In a lot of campgrounds, going all the way "to the back" means a quieter campsite. Here &q...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

244 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Edwardsville, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

There was a lot of space and privacy at our site (#292 I think), and it looked as though most of the sites had the same. The showers are far, but it's not really a big deal. They do cost $2 for 8 minutes, but I didn't really mind that. I think it's pretty helpful in the conservation effort, and the shower felt fantastic after exploring the rim and some of the trails all day.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Booked two nights here.
Pitches were big enough for us to spread all our gear out
Toilets were clean and tidy
Showers clean & good value
Bus Shuttle was close by
Village Shop fully stocked and not too expensive

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cotswolds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

A very big campground but plenty of space on each pitch. We had 2 nights here, the first of which was good and the second a disaster. No fault of the campground but a six hour thunderstorm over our tent caused us to wake up at 3am lying in 4 inches of water. Stayed the rest of the night in the car and packed up the following morning in the rain.

We used the showers and found it difficult to get hold of 8 quarters each, we needed 24 in total for the three of us to shower. They weren't the cleanest campsite showers I've used but given ow busy it is they aren't too bad.

Room Tip: Choose your pitch carefully, avoid through routes but stay an easy walk from the rest rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Nova Scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We spent 3 nights in the campground and thought it was a great place. All of the sites are spacious with room for more than one tent. There were two washrooms on our loop. A trail leads directly to the shuttle stop for access to the rest of the village. There is showers and a laundry mat at the entrance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is a wonderful campground. Some sites are close to the amenities, some are further into the pines. Depending on what you want, this campground has everything. My best advice is to do your research. I chose site 232 as it was far from the well-traveled roads in the area. This site backed into the forest, and on either side were campsites that were not on top of me and provided a bit of privacy with the trees and brush. Bathrooms are close by in nearly any site, but, I wouldn't recommend staying close to them as the hand dryers are very very loud.

The shower and laundry facilities were great. Bring quarters and you can get clean easily. Stalls are small, but the water is good with mild pressure. Showers are $2 for eight minutes, and, that's really enough time. Trust me.... time yourself in the shower next time!
I didn't use the laundry, but whatever you need is right there. Phones and a handy internet (pay) access is there, too. Park rangers are incredible. Thank you!!!! Trash and recycle bins are situated to give you the means to keep your site clean.
By the way... you do NOT want to leave anything out food-wise even for a minute unattended. The marvelous and fun to watch ravens will swoop down and take it in seconds. Elk will wander near, too, so the park wisely will not allow clotheslines or other "lines" to stay unattended as the elk may get tangled. This wasn't a bother for me. My rain tarp lines were high and short, clothes line and hammock dismantled when I wasn't there. Carabiners are fabulous for easy up and down. Hard sided latched containers made for easy storage of everything, though I kept my food in a cooler or in my truck. Just in case!
There are paved paths to walk or bike on and a free shuttle bus to take you anywhere you want is close, too. Just get the guide and find the route you want. The buses run frequently. Very, very nice.
Grocery store is close, too. Walking distance if you need a thing or two.

Fire ring has a grill that flips out if need be.

It's a great campground.... enjoy!

Room Tip: Oak loop has nice sites. Look at the campground map before choosing. The first loops (especially on...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We booked the mather camp ground on the Labour day weekend 2012. The loop was tent only loop. Very quite and lovely camp ground. Showers and laundry was close. But the flush toilets in teh camp sites could be cleaner.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Mather Campground? Share your experiences!