After hiking 5-6 hours down the South Kaibab Trail, the first thing that greets you is the sign, welcome to Phantom Ranch, it's a different world, lots of trees, the river, first thing you head to is the dorms, they have two for men and two for women, 5 sets of bunk beds in each, my friend and I tried to get down there early to get a bottom bunk. The beds are very comfortable, they come made up. They give you a towel and a bar of soap, there is a shower, sink and toilet in there. Once you shower, you head to the dining hall/beer hall to relax and socialize with other hikers. Everyone is tired and happy to be there. You have your choice of a stew dinner or steak dinner at night. All steaks are prepared one way, well done...best choice stew dinners. Eating is family style...stew, salad, corn bread, chocolate cake all you want and it's delicious. Steak dinners are served at 5, Stew at 6. At 8 it becomes a beer hall again. They have a few gifts, post cards which will be stamped that they are carried out by mules...they knock on the doors at 4 a.m. for breakfast and so you can get an early start up the trail. Generally your hiking in the dark...Breakfast is plentiful, scrambled eggs, pancakes, bacon, coffee, etc...I've stayed down there 4 times and love it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Phantom Ranch is a historic oasis nestled at the bottom of Grand Canyon. It is on the north side of the Colorado River tucked in beside Bright Angel Creek. Phantom is the only lodging below the canyon rim. The Ranch can only be reached by mule, by foot or by rafting the Colorado River. Overnight accommodations at Phantom Ranch consist of dormitory spaces and cabins. Cabins and dormitories are heated in winter and cooled during the summer months. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia so you can book your Phantom Ranch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Phantom Ranch Hotel Grand Canyon National Park
- Phantom Ranch Grand Canyon
- Grand Canyon Phantom Ranch