A long (4-8 hours) on the South Kaibab Trail brings you to Phantom Ranch: a quaint collection of stone cabins, four 10 bed 'dormitory' buildings and a central 'canteen' (dining hall/store/ gathering place). BEST OPTION: a cabin w/ 9 of your best friends!
We stayed in the dorms. Due to a late start (8 a.m.) bottom bunks were taken. One toilet, one shower, one sink per cabin. Bedding and towel provided.
Your dinner reservation will be hiker-stew or steak. Both are delicious but hiker stew will save you $12. Opt for the 5 a.m. breakfast so as to be on the outbound trail as early as possible.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Phantom Ranch is a historic oasis nestled at the bottom of Grand Canyon. It is on the north side of the Colorado River tucked in beside Bright Angel Creek. Phantom is the only lodging below the canyon rim. The Ranch can only be reached by mule, by foot or by rafting the Colorado River. Overnight accommodations at Phantom Ranch consist of dormitory spaces and cabins. Cabins and dormitories are heated in winter and cooled during the summer months. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Phantom Ranch Hotel Grand Canyon National Park
- Phantom Ranch Grand Canyon
- Grand Canyon Phantom Ranch