“Spend Your Money and Time Somewhere Else...” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Deserts, Waterfalls, Outdoors
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Often called the "Shangri-la of the Grand Canyon," visitors can hike, camp or just soak up the sun around these beautiful falls where rushing water spills from red cliffs into brilliant aquamarine pools.
Los Gatos, California
“Spend Your Money and Time Somewhere Else...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I can honestly and sadly say that I've visited Havasupai 5 times... The first was by myself and each time after were with different friends. I wanted my friends to see experience the falls----it took five times for me to realize that I had been a fool for supporting these people (and calling them people is a stretch)...

During my first visit I was in shock as I walked through the village. I saw a dead horse in someone's front yard upon entering... I quickly noticed that all of the animals (mainly the horses) were malnourished with open sores... Many were tied up to trees with no shade or water. And the locals were incredibly rude during every visit... As one person said in their review "They would mumble under their breath and roll their eyes". During my first visit I remember lying on my towel at the first waterfall with other hikers. I heard some yelling coming from behind the falls. I thought I was hearing things because what I heard was so absurd I must've been delusional. I asked the person sitting next to me if people were yelling "F You" from behind the waterfall and she said "Yes, it's some local guys messing with us"... I bit back! Three guys appeared from behind the fall and left... Lovely!

With each visit I had hoped that there would be change: I was sadly mistaken! There are so many national and state parks that are far more interesting and beautiful than this place; and places that will put your hard earned dollar to good use... It's also 10 miles in: which isn't much but once you've set-up your tent you can hike and see all there is to see in a couple of hours... Please save your money and time on a place that truly deserves it...

Visited September 2013

Pleasant Grove, Utah
“I would NEVER go back.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

The falls are beautiful yes but seeing first hand how they treated the animals especially their horses I would not have supported them. Several of the horses were bleeding from their saddles if you can call them that. No water provided for them after that long hike....it ruined my whole trip. I hope something is done for these animals.

Visited June 2014
“THEY LOST MY BAG!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Paid for two pack horses, $374, only 7 of our 8 bags came to the top. The large duffel that was lost had 4 North Face Sleeping bags, a tent and clothes totaling around $800! Management would not claim any responsibility for it and after speaking on the phone 6 times the stopped taking my calls. If you go, don't pay for horses.

Visited May 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 attraction reviews
“Havasupai Falls Is Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Havasupai Falls is amazing! It's a must do for everyone. Yes it can get very crowded at the campgrounds but you need to be calculated in everything you do.:

1. Regarding the wait for use of the porta potty. if you get up early (7am or earlier) you're least likely to have to contend with the line at the porta potty.

2. Picking a place to set up camp. People are constantly coming and going from the campground. When you get there initially, you may not get the ideal campground, but if you're flexible and don't mind moving once you've set up roots, you can probably get a better place to set up camp in the morning as people leave.

3. If you want to enjoy the falls without the crowd, make sure you go early. The falls will be practically empty the earlier you go.

4. If you decide to have a donkey bring your gear from the campsite to the trail head, make sure you coordinate the arrival time. We had to wait roughly three hours for the donkeys to bring our gear. Waiting for your gear to arrive was no fun.

For more information, visit this site.

Visited July 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
25 attraction reviews
“Backpacking to Havasupai Falls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This was my second backpacking trip to Havasupai. The first was 4 years ago in March 2010 and the most recent was April 24-27, 2014. Both were Boy Scout backpacking trips for Troop 131 out of Scottsdale, AZ. This time around a few of us stayed in Seligman in a hotel on Thursday night. The hotel was Canyon Lodge - great accommodations for $60 per night. Dinner at West Side Lelo's, also highly recommended. The rest of our group camped at Hilltop next to the trailhead. It was my understanding that it was very cold and windy at night. It was chilly and windy in the morning while waiting to start. 4 years ago in March it was very cold on the top and I wore more than I had planned down, which presented a bit of a problem, since my pack was full. This year I had to resist the temptation, as I knew from experience it would warm up once we dropped down into the canyon. The drive from Seligman to Hilltop took 1.5 hours. There were 24 of us, 15 scouts, aged 11-17, and 9 adults. We all carried our own gear (tents, sleeping bags/pads, toiletries, clothes, water, etc) and used the mules/horses to carry down the food/cooking gear. We did the same thing 4 years ago and this worked out great. The hike down took approximately 3 hours to the Village of Supai, where we stopped for an ice-cream/snack, and then another hour to the campground. The campground is well maintained and scenic, located between Havasupai and Mooney Falls. This time we were near the end of the campground, approx. 5 min from Mooney. We were near the 3rd outhouse and crossed 2 bridges to be on a strip of land between two streams. It was actually very nice as it was off the main bath and I felt like out gear was safer when we were off exploring the falls. Past reviews said squirrels were bad and would get in your snacks. I did hang my snack bag from a tree, but never saw any squirrels. The tribe dogs were opportunists and would hang around if they could get some food. Water from the spring was fine and located near the beginning of the campground and the compost toilets do not smell, so that is another plus. The first day, we explored Havasu Falls. The next morning we were due for bad weather and the rain did come, but thankfully just for a few hours. The sun came out at 10am and we were able to descend through the tunnels and down ladders to the base of Mooney Falls. There was no line at 10am. My friends were there Easter weekend and had to wait in line 2 hours to get to the base of Mooney. From there we followed the stream down to Beaver Falls. Not sure why but this took much longer to get to then to get back. Maybe we made lots of stops along the way - there were several water crossing and ladders. Water shoes were great. Loved Beaver Falls - very beautiful and less crowded. On the way, look to the left and there is a metal ladder high up on the canyon wall leading to an old Uranium mine. On Sunday, it was time to head out, the gear has to be ready and at the corral first thing in the morning. We took advantage of empty coolers to let the 4 younger scouts put their tents and sleeping bags on the mules to lighten their loads for the uphill section of the hike. The hike out was approximately 1 hour to the village and then another 4.5 hours out for a 52 year old with a 35# pack. I think our fastest group was out in 4.5 hours total and slowest at 6.5 hours total, not including the break time at the village. We cached about 8 gallons of water at the base of the canyon for the return. That also lightens the load, so you don't have to hike 8 miles with 3 liters of water. The hike out is tough with a pack, so keep it as light as you can. I weight 135#, so 35# was a little more than I would have liked, but is was doable. Trekking poles are highly recommended for the down and up. This is a great backpacking trip - not too difficult, but a challenge and scenery doesn't get any better.

Visited April 2014