“Unbelievable!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Often called the "Shangri-la of the Grand Canyon," visitors can hike, camp or just soak up the sun around these beautiful falls where rushing water spills from red cliffs into brilliant aquamarine pools.
3 attraction reviews
“Unbelievable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The falls themselves were gorgeous. The pools were shallow enough to wade on and the climb down Mooney Falls wasn't too difficult; climbing up was much easier. The trek from the hilltop was a bit daunting but became easier as we walked along the trails. Many parts of the trail was shady to provide relief from the sun. I would recommend staying at the lodge the first night to relieve the feet and then head out to the falls the next day. By far, Havasu Falls was my favorite; the colors of the cascading waters were breathtaking and the shallow pools added more to the lovely ambience. I sat on a picnic table that somebody had laid out in the middle of the pool while my husband swam like a happy child. The campgrounds were fairly pleasant and we pitched our tent right next to the rushing river bed. Be warned: the temperature dropped approximately 40 degrees so it was very chilly for us throughout the night. It was also very windy so keep your cargo inside if you can. There were enough campers around that we didn't feel like we were in danger. The Havasupai people were friendly enough to us and even waved at us during our hike. The town of Supai itself was unfortunately a bit unkempt and dirty. It wouldn't take much to make the village a bit cleaner for their sake but it was what it was. The lodges were very minimal but after camping outside, we were eager to hit the clean sheets, shower and running toilets. Overall, it was a trip that will stay with us for a lifetime. I'm not an outdoorsy person, but I managed to complete the trek and enjoy it as well.
FYI: be prepared for the last mile hike back up the hilltop; it's pretty steep and it definitely left me winded.

Chandler, Arizona
“Havasupai Falls and village - nature being destroyed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

First, I would like to share the that the falls themselves are beautiful. The hiking trip is worth seeing the falls and the beautiful great southwest. My family and I hiked in from the top and spent three days. We stayed at the lodge in the village. If I were to do it again, we would stay at the campground. The village is a sad, littered, filthy mess. I can not believe that the Indian people could treat their land with such disrepect and disgrace. The amount of trash, litter and feces laying everywhere is overwhelming. We saw emaciated horses and dogs. The entire area is completely destroyed with trash- and not just a little trash - huge piles and disregarded items laying about. Outside the lodge near the entrance is an overturned waste cistern of some sort. The animals eat out of the trash ( my children tried to feed the sarving animals, but there are too many). The horses are not only starving but also tortured as they have large sores all over them from the daily 8 mile packing hike back and forth through the canyon.

Again, the falls are beautiful and , thankfully, not destroydby the locals yet. The village and animals that you must see to get there make it very hard if you have repect for nature.

Visited March 2013
8 attraction reviews
“Water water everywhere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place is beautiful! You should really consider the $80 helicopter ride out :-)
There are waterfalls EVERYWHERE! We had a blast :-)

Visited September 2012
Portland Oregon
“Havasu Falls in Feb.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from 2 days visiting the four major falls. I have been a Veterinarian for 30 years (small animal). I came expecting to see some very poorly conditioned horses and dogs. I would suggest that all of the dogs that I saw were very well cared for and very pleasant to be around. None of them were below expected weight and all of the ones that I saw were eager to run and engage people. I saw one dog that had a stifle problem, but if you live an active life this is a possible consequence. As far as the horses, we did not see any dead horses. They could have used some grooming to make them look more like a Derby contestant.
They also have places where the packs have rubbed the hair off, but this would be expected from any true working horse. These animals are truely working animals and I believe the people who have written about their poor condition are mistaken. We did see more trash along the trail than I would like, but the trail seems to be more of a road for the residents of Supai and I doubt that any of the roads in this state would look any better without people constantly cleaning them. As for the falls, they were magnificent and almost unbelievable. We visited Feb. 22-24th and there was only one other tent in the campground and very few people visiting the falls. Finally, the residents of Supai were all very nice and welcoming. Just my two bits

Visited February 2013
San Francisco, California
8 attraction reviews
“Oh, the water!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

If you are reading this, perhaps you are considering visiting the falls...
Consider no longer! GO!
The mineral waters here were held sacred for a reason. This oasis and piece of heaven will dazzle with its cerulean waters falling 3 times in grandiose fashion.
Bring your swimtrunks, and if you can't handle the hike, take the helicopter ride!
Or a donkey.