“Start Early” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Hiking Trails, Trails
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: One of the two superhighways into the Canyon, the other being the Bright Angel Trail, this path runs along a ridge offering stunning views. During the summer, visitors are advised to bring at least two quarts of water along because it can get very hot and the trail offers no shade.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
21 attraction reviews
“Start Early”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Strap on your headlamp and start your hike before sunrise. If you hike at all it's easy to see the trail. The advantage even in April is that your return is not as hot as it might be. I hike regularly (twice a week) hike and know my limits so I turned around at Skeleton Point, 3 miles 2,000'. I was glad I did. Although I started at 6am, the sun was already beating down as I returned as the trail was mostly sunny.

I'm glad I did this hike first. It was a challenge with many beautiful sights.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Phoenix, Arizona
6 attraction reviews
“If you only hike the Grand Canyon once...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Most people hiking down to Phantom Ranch and back usually go up and down Bright Angel Trail. The scenery is very nice but you really don't get to see the Canyon until you're almost near the river. Just in case you only make the hike once, at least hike down the South Kaibab trail and back up Bright Angel. South Kaibab gives you magnificent views of the Canyon that you can't experience on the Rim, nor the Bright Angel Trail. I've hiked up and down and across the Canyon numerous times and I'm still in awe of the beauty every time I make the trek.

Visited September 2012
Orange Park, Florida
21 attraction reviews
“Day hike to Ooh Aah Point”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a fantastic, must do, short day hike for those without acrophobia and who are in good physical condition. RULES: Bring adequate water and wear proper shoes. I actually saw a woman in fashion boots with a 1-2" heel and I saw teenagers in flip flops. Hike smart people. This is the back country not the shopping mall. WARNING: Mules (they are not donkeys) have the right of way! This means that THEY own the trail when coming up or down. Respect these wonderful animals and listen to the cowboy for direction. Always move towards the canyon wall or in a safe spot off the trail to allow the mule train to pass. It took my 13 year old son and I about 40 minutes to reach Ooh Aah Point and about twice that to climb back to the rim. This is a crowded outcrop with lots of spectators. Be mindful of each other and hike early to beat the crowds!

Visited March 2013
San Marcos
8 attraction reviews
“Nice trail plus tip for making it longer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I enjoyed this trail but I personally liked Bright Angel trail better. This trail does offer a view of more of the canyon itself. Bright Angel trail is blocked on both sides so you don't see as much but the trail itself I thought was nicer. You can hike all the way to Tonto trail and cut across 4 miles to Bright Angel and up that trail for a 13 mile hike. My husband and I did this but first walked from the visitor center to this trail (not recommended because it made our hike about 15.5 miles total). We are in what I could consider very good shape and we found this to be very challenging. If you do the 13 mile loop bring A LOT of water and make sure you are in great shape. It is harder than you would expect.

Minnesota
15 attraction reviews
“A little tricky!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have to say I wasn't feeling my best the day we hiked this trail. The views are spectacular & magnificent ... basically the trail follows a ridge line and all the way up you are on the "outside" so when you meet someone, my advice is to stop and let them pass. There's not much trail etiquette ... my feeling is that the exhausted souls heading UP THE TRAIL, have the right of way without question (my husband and I had a big debate about this). My feeling is that your pretty rickety on the way up so people headed down should just get out of the way. DON'T MISS ANY OF THESE TRAILS! they're spectacular ... but hold on to the kids!