“knees better be in shape” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Hiking Trails, Trails
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: One of the two superhighways into the Canyon, the other being the Bright Angel Trail, this path runs along a ridge offering stunning views. During the summer, visitors are advised to bring at least two quarts of water along because it can get very hot and the trail offers no shade.
Statesville, North Carolina
“knees better be in shape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

south Kaibab was a test on anyones knees . switchbacks were too numerous to mention but the views were awesome,,, once you get your first view of the colorado river you wont forget the scene

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Arizona
15 attraction reviews
“Steep but incredible trail to hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The Kaibab trail is steep no matter how you look at it. The views of the Grand Canyon are unmatched no matter how far one hikes up or down the trail. Be prepared for sore calves after hiking downhill for almost a mile, but a delight in being in a special place.

New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
“Hiking this trail was the highlight of the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This day hike was absolutely AMAZING. I was all set to do Bright Angel when someone recommended doing this hike instead. I'm so glad I switched. The views were out of this world stunning. My husband and I hiked to the first stop, Ooh Ahh Point, and then on to Cedar Ridge. We turned around at Cedar Ridge and all in all, accounting for snow/ice, breaks, and numerous photo ops, it took us about 4 hours to go down and back. The hike is not for the faint of heart and if you go in cold weather be aware that it can be snowy in some places, icy in others (especially on the initial switchbacks) as well as muddy or dusty in some spots. Yak Traks were an absolute necessity. The hike up is really as challenging as people warn. If you are in shape you will likely be fine but even if you are in moderate shape you will be huffing and puffing. I can see how walking sticks would be helpful. I received good advice and layered appropriately and brought a lot of water. I was surprised how much water we drank, even in the colder weather. The views along this hike will take your breath away and stay with you forever. Definitely, definitely hike into the canyon if you have the time. The experience is priceless.

Phoenix, Arizona
7 attraction reviews
“1st timer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went with a big group, it took over 4 hours to hike down and closer to 5 to hike up. Stayed at Phantom Ranch overnight to rest my legs but they were still really sore hiking up. Would only recommend if you are used to hiking in elevation.

Monette
3 attraction reviews
“I DID IT!!! OOH AAH POINT SUNRISE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I am scared to death of heights so I think the fact that we got uo ay 4:00 am to catch the first shuttle to yje South Kaibab Trail was what did the trick. I have alway dreamed of seeing the Grand Canyon so just being there was AWESOME!!! With my fear I figured I do all my seeing from the top and afar but going down the trail in the dark with a flashlight was actally perfect because I couldn't see the huge dropoffs to the side of me. The trail wasn't nearly as hard as I had anticipated. I have very bad knees but made it to OOH AAK Point just fine. The SUNRISE was soooo worth it. The rocks just take on all kinds of colors as the sun begins to hit them. We didn't go any further because of the knees and was afraid climb back up would be too hard. We spoke to folks that were going all the way t o the bottom. HOW COOL! They had sent there tents and gear with the mules that were going down later and hiked down. I didn't know you could do that. The climb back up was harder as expected. We just took it slow and easy and made it fine. It is filled with switchbacks some steep, but if my knees and I made it most anyone can. Now I will say there was probably a lot of adrenal helping me along 'cause as I said this was my lifetime dream trip. Be sure to take your own water as there is no fill point unless you go on down about 1 1/2 mi. farther and back at the top.

Visited July 2012