“Natural Forces at Work” 5 of 5 stars

Phoenix, Arizona
13 attraction reviews
“Natural Forces at Work”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

I'm not that used to Tripadvisor, so spent considerable time on a review of Havasupai Falls. I didn't know I had only one chance to put photos up. So I'm using this review to add some more. If you're familiar with Havasu Falls, the flood made big changes to the landscape. Standing at the edge of the Big Gully between 50 Foot Falls and the old Havasu Falls bridge is awe-inspiring, considering the flood was a small to medium event. The new smaller falls below Fifty Foot are elegant and are fun places to swim.

If you are a geologic person, a trip to Havasu Creek will be a very memorable trip. If you're a hydologist, there are classic hydrologic event to observe here. If you're an ecologist, you've got a chance to see Havasu Creek riparia at ground zero and measure for the future from that.

A general observation of many reviews is the taciturn nature of Havasupai tribal members. Many Native American people respond to a little personal warmth and a smile. I'd bet with a little effort, one might get a smile. There are some pretty good places to sit in front of the Post Office and Community Center about 6 AM in summer. It's very refreshing when the plaza is geting hosed down to settle the first dust of the day. Tell White Owl chris says hello.

Venice, Italy
3 attraction reviews
“Blue Water Paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2007

The falls are absolutely amazing, the town is horrible. Hundreds of stray dogs, even horses, port-o-potties completely filled (yes it's as disgusting as it sounds).

If you can looks past the town and the way the Indians live and treat the land it's a beautiful place!

TORONTO,ONTARIO
3 attraction reviews
“worth the hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2006

Got an early start at the Hualapai Hilltop. My girlfriend and I spent the night before at the Grand Canyon Caverns Inn a 63 mile drive from the hilltop. With the early start we avoided the heat and carried the recommend amount of water for the hike.( 5 litres one way) Even though the hike was not as hot as expected we really needed the water. It is 8 miles to the lodge and another 2 to the campground. It is a combination of rock,gravel and soft sand terrain. So bring supportive hiking shoes. It took us 3 1/2 hours . The water falls are breath-taking especially after the hike.
Havasu falls is amazing. Mooney falls is a harder descent and not for those who are afraid of heights. Your scaling down the cliff with chains,poles that are attached to the cliff and a wooden ladder that is not very secure. There is a sign that said," Caution at your own risk". You will also descend through two small caves. It is much cooler at the bottom of this fall and visually incredible.
We only stayed one night at the lodge and wished we stay for another day. We hiked out the next morning at 6:00am. For those who are not in shape, the return to Hualapai hilltop will be challenging. We made it out in 3 hours and 15 minutes. The best trip ever.

Pittsburgh, PA
“havasu heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2004

This is the best part of the grand canyon!! We visited in May 2003. The hike was not as bad as we had imagined. The hardest part is walking in the deep sand in the village. I cannot describe exactly how I felt when I came around the bend and saw Havasu Falls!! I was overtaken by its beauty. The people were all friendly, and the village dogs were a charm. My partner cut his foot on a rock so we took a helicopter ride out of the canyon for $80. We had to wait in line a while, but it was not that bad. After we left, we went to the Grand Canyon National Park.
It was just okay compared to Havasu. I am glad I chose to hike down to Supai rather than the Bright Angel Trail in the park. I don't think it would have been as nice. We took a short cut through a dirt road in the desert to get there. We only saw one other SUV, and they were from Pittsburgh as well!!! They gave us directions (THANKS). When you get to a fork in the road, a sign tells you to go left, but go right. Going to the left is a dead end. Go right and stay to the right the whole time, you will drive past a farm and have to open a few gates along the way.
Make sure you close them back up!!!I only recommend taking this shortcut if you have an SUV and know how to use 4 wheel drive. Be prepared to see no other vehicles along the way. Its remote!! I highly recommend hiking Havasu.