“Beautiful setting, ridiculously overpriced hotel.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Many Glacier Hotel

You added Many Glacier Hotel to your Saves list
Many Glacier Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Highway 8, Swiftcurrent Lake, Glacier National Park, MT 59434   |
everett, washington
“Beautiful setting, ridiculously overpriced hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

I would have loved this hotel if it hadn't been so overpriced. The location is just lovely. I was traveling with my two grandchildren. We had a "value" room. It was in the basement so when we looked out the window we saw the feet of people walking by. If the room had cost $50 I would have been satisfied with it. But it was $142 per night. We won't stay there again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for first night of our honeymoon. We hiked in the evening and next day. Our shower did not work! I called the front desk and nobody was able to do anything about it in a timely manner. After some repeated asking, I was given 10% off our bill.

My mom stayed at Many Glacier hotel a week before that, and their shower did not work either.

This was not a huge deal to my wife & I as we had been adequately warned about the hotel being in poor repair and not elegant in any way, and you're paying for the view, etc. But I wish I had checked that everything in the bathroom worked first thing, as then we might have been able to switch rooms.

We also hiked to Grinnell Glacier in the morning. We hiked the whole way from the hotel, and we were faster than the dual boat ride (cost $22) to the base of the mountain. I'm sure the boat ride is nice for the view & relaxation, but it is not necessarily any faster than walking. (We're in good shape & we were in a hurry though.)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
western Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

We spent 3 nights at this motel in 2 rooms with a connecting bathroom. The place looks great from the outside, and is in a spectacular location, but the motel itself is a dive. I think it may have been quaint in the 1960s and was due for major renovation in the 70s, and now is just run down. Our room seemed dirty, most likely from the age of the furnishings and carpet. There is no air conditioning, which may be reasonable given the usual temperatures there, but you can't even open a window because the screens are in shambles, and the room quickly fills with bugs. The "shower" is an ancient tub with a jerry rigged curtain surrounding it, with no walled support, or anywhere to put your toiletries. When I fell (no bathmat) the drain pipe came apart, and the bathroom filled with water. As I was trying to clean this up, I had the opportunity to look under the tub, where there was at least a half dozen partially used bars of soap and other items probable left over the past ten years. The meals are way over priced, as is the motel itself (there is no competition) though the service was reasonable.
I'm sure this motel will continue to fill its rooms due to its location and lack of competition, but in any other business climate this place wouldn't stand a chance.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

We stayed at Many Glacier Hotel on August 9, 2009 for two nights. We had reservations. I specifically selected a room overlooking the lake, and am glad I did. We were on the third floor, room 354. There is an elevator.

The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. We had a room which shared a balcony with the adjoining room. Standing here offered some breath-taking views of the lake and the mountains. The hotel is older - thus it is missing some of the luxuries one might expect in a hotel. It was a smaller room with no television. In addition, the bathroom was rather “cozy” as I found I kept bumping into the shower walls. Also, we could hear some noise at night from the hall. Still, when we travel, we always try to stay in the park hotels - and understand that historic buildings that are 70-80 years old have their "quirks". This building and the location is a real gem in the national park system.

I would comment on the person at the front desk. She was extremely helpful and accommodating. We had hiked in that day from another area in the park, and I left my credit card in the car (which was parked several miles always, and to which I had to take a bus back to get later in the day). She let me check in without out as I promised to bring by when I got back. I am grateful to her for that!

The service at the restaurant on site was slow - compared Lake McDonald. We noticed that during the evening dinner and the breakfast the next day. Our waiter was good, but it took him a while to find our table. The food was good – but nothing outstanding.

Again, you stay here for the view - and it is amazing. I strongly suggest this hotel, and would also encourage making reservations on the lake side and have a balcony! Some friends we met hiking in reserved several rooms – but one was on the lake side., which they used to meet and enjoy a glass of wine while looking at the “Alps in America.” After all, it’s ALL about the view.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

fourth trip to many glacier. some of the reviews are inaccurate and wrong. . it is not ever!! loud, noisy or not clean.
if you want a days or holiday inn with tv, air conditioning(not necessary), pool then go there. yes the rooms are not large but they are clean and glacier will be undergoing a
multi million doolar renovation.
if you wanta very friendly staff with good food(especially the breakfast) and in beautiful setting were you can easily access easy or challengingf trails or boat tours of both lakes
this is the place.

• Stayed August 2009
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

We stayed here for three nights. The first 2 nights we were in a family suite in the annex. All it really was was 2 rooms connected by a bathroom located in the annex. We had 1 small balcony that faced the parking lot. The last night we had 2 separate rooms that were in the main lodge off the lobby.

Rooms are typical National park style: no amenities per se, no hair dryer, old furniture, lumpy beds, tired flooring, one bathroom was old fashioned and cute with a freestanding claw foot tub, the other was a modular shower, no tv. The rooms off the lobby pretty noisy. The service was just ok. When we were there there was a power outage for 8 plus hours - no explanation or communication was given to the guests. Some complimentary coffee, hot cocoa or iced tea would have gone a long way. The staff seems very young and inexperienced. They are not maximizing the potential this hotel has.

The restaurants are really basic with pretty much the same menu everywhere. The food is ok - nothing fancy. There are not many fresh vegetables served either. We made due with the little convenience store in the basememnt for breakfast cereal, milk, muffins. We went to the Swiftcurrent lodge 2 nights for dinner just for a variation and it was a bit better.....although a long wait.

On a positive note: the views are spectacular! it was very pleasant sitting on the back porch facing the mountains. The exterior of the hotel is very nice - done in a Swiss Chalet style.The lobby and other public areas are nice. They had some kind of musical entertainment every night. Although there were families there, most of the guests were in their 50's and older.

There aren't a lot of options if you want to visit this side of the park. For all of the negatives, it was worth it. The hikes from here and Switcurrent were gorgeous. The boat ride was an enjoyable way to begin and/or end a hike. Make sure to reserve your boat spot well in advance as it was sold out when we were there.

PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Spent one night at the Many Glacier and wish we had stayed elsewhere in the area. The view was absolutely stunning but the room left a lot to be desired. This was the most expensive hotel we stayed at in a 10 day trip to Glacier and Yellowstone. The hallway to the room looked like an old ship. Once inside the carpet was old and worn, the room must have been last done in the 60's or 70's. Paneling on the wall, furniture that looked like it came out of my grandparents house 25 years ago. No place to put any toilitries or clothing. When I return to this area again I will not stay here. Maybe stop by to enjoy the view from the deck or lounge at the fireplace with a drink but sleep somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Many Glacier Hotel? Share your experiences!