“My favorite Glacier Park Lodge” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Many Glacier Hotel

You added Many Glacier Hotel to your Saves list
Many Glacier Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Highway 8, Swiftcurrent Lake, Glacier National Park, MT 59434   |
Grapevine, Texas
“My favorite Glacier Park Lodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

This lodge was probably my favorite of the 4 lodges we stayed at while visiting Glacier – Waterton. This is an old, historic lodge, so YES, it’s noisy and the rooms are kind of small. But the location is fantastic. Sitting right on Swiftcurrent Lake, the lodge has a wonderful porch with lots of chairs looking out over the lake and the surrounding mountains. You can see Grinnell Glacier from the hotel and wildlife on the mountains across the street (although I was disappointed that I didn’t get to see a moose!!).

There are lots of chairs around the large fireplace in the lobby and they are always full. One of my favorite things was coming out of our room in the morning and being able to smell the fire burning downstairs.

We ate breakfast in the restaurant each morning. The only “ala carte” option offered was cold cereal. The buffet was standard breakfast buffet offerings with eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast, waffles, cold cereal, oatmeal, fruit, etc. for $14.95. Lunch at the lounge included soup, salad, buffalo burgers, wraps and sandwiches. Dinner selections included chicken, fish, and pasta dishes. I had the bison stroganoff, which was very good. My husband had grilled chicken. It came with 2 pieces of chicken – one was a little dry, the other one was okay. We were there at the end of the season and many of the summer workers had already left. Service was a little slow, particularly in the lounge, but the staff was always friendly.

There are quite a few hiking trails that take off right from the lodge. There is also a boat trip from the back of the lodge as well. The boat goes to the end of Swiftcurrent Lake and then you hike a .2 mile trail over to Lake Josephine where the boat tour continues. At the end of Josephine Lake, the boat docks and you have the option of getting off the boat and hiking from there. This can cut down the length of a hike by 2 – 3 miles. Grinnell Lake and Grinnell Glacier are popular and worthwhile hikes from here.

At our end of the lodge, it was 4 stories. There is an elevator, but it is pretty slow, so the quickest way to and from your room is the stairs. If you don't want to climb stairs, request a room on a lower floor. If you don't request a lower floor, they will most likely put you on the top floor. We were on the 4th floor, so we were far from the bustle of the lobby. You could, however, hear people walking in the halls and we could hear our neighbors a little as well. One of the ladies on our Red Bus tour claimed she was kept awake by her neighbors snoring!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

We only stayed one night (between Rising sun and Swiftcurrent lodge). We lucked out and got an excellent room in the annex with views of The lake and a balcony at the end of the annex. We couldnt have been happier for the price we paid. Nice room, bathroom, clean, spacious, quiet although if you wanted to nitpick you could hear some people thru the walls as I read before booking but this was not an issue and very minimal. The location is just breathtaking. Relaxing on the deck in the sun after a day of hiking was great with a Kokanee (must try this beer). We ate in the bar and were disappointed. I didnt care for the menu in the main dining room...too gourmet for me. Better to head to the cattle baron for a steak... HUGE steak. Rent a canoe or kayak whle there. we took the boat back from the Grinnell lake hike. Its cheaper to take it one way, but you may have to wait w/o a ticket. Just enjoy the scenery.
This was the best of the 3 places we stayed, but all were good in their own way.

• Liked — THE VIEW!
  • Disliked — Restaurant service...no busser working...slow service, so so food
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Elyria, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

Wow... Unexpected stay during a rainy backpacking trip. The room was outdated but the experience on the whole was one of the best I've ever had in a hotel. Great staff, bar, food and shops. The lobby was right out of movie. Our room was 'lakeside' and the view was unbelievable. If you've been to the property you will know what I mean, if not it's worth a night or two stay while you tour Glacier Park.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

We stayed at Manny Glacier Hotel during Labor Day weekend 2008. The lakeside room had a beautiful view and was worth the extra money. The scenery around Manny Glacier Hotel is the best of any lodge in this park. Although the room was small, it had a lot of charm and it felt like we went back in time. The walls of the rooms are thin, so please be considerate of other guests when making noise and having a loud conversation. The main room of the lodge had a beautiful fire place and it was relaxing to sit and watch the sunset after a long day of hiking. We ate at the Swiftcurrent Inn 1 mile up the road and the Italian food was great. If you are looking for a special place to stay in Glacier National Park, treat yourself and your significant other to one night at this historic lodge. You only live once! We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

I agree with most of the reviews--the location is incomparable, rooms are simple, clean & noisy. I wasnt sure I should stay here but took the risk--I am so glad I did. It is the best view I have seen from a hotel, period. Located on a lake, with views of so many mountains. I loved sitting on the deck and watching the weather traveling over the mountains, the moose in the lake and the bears on the hill across the street from the hotel. Yes, the walls are quite thin--bring earplugs. I am a day hiker and didnt have to move my car for days--so many trails nearby the lodge. I found the mini-mart in the basement very helpful for that quick cup of coffee, snack or the huckleberry soft serve ice cream (not to be missed). Note that parking lot can fill in the evening (one evening I returned to find a herd of mountain goats in the lot). It is not an upscale property so dont expect many services or ammenities--you stay here for the views, convenience and animal sightings. LImited restaurants--make dinner reservations as the main one gets busy. The Swiftcurrent down the road also looked fine, but didnt have the views.

Taunton, Ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

Loved our stay at the Many Glacier. Stayed in a standard room, which was a good size and had a big bathroom with shower. Staff was friendly and helpful. Lobby with fireplace was our favorite spot to relax after day of hiking and sightseeing. Cozy room with large glass windows overlooking the lake.. Saw many bears in the area and also longhorn sheep and moose. Great place for viewing animals. The views of the mountains can’t be beat. The Many Glacier is a wonderful experience and I would recommend this place highly

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

On our way into Many Glacier, we spotted 2 grizzly bears from the road (and also 2 other nights during our trip). The Many Glacier Hotel resembles a Swiss Mountain lodge with its theme and beautiful mountain scenery. We checked in around 7pm and had no difficulties. The lobby and huge fireplace are so cozy!! The lobby has plenty of couches and chairs surrounding the fireplace and large windows to sit and enjoy the lake and mountains.

We booked a lakeside room and were given a room on the 3rd floor with a balcony. The views are outstanding of the lake and mountains!! My husband spotted several bears on the mountain just from our balcony.

The room is rustic and cozy. I enjoyed the bear-claw bathtub. The bathroom sink is actually in the bedroom, which allowed more room in the bathroom. It made it easier for us to get ready in the morning.

To much of our surprise, we didn't mind not having a TV or radio. I think I actually enjoyed not having a TV for a week!! We didn't spend much time in the room, but our time spent in the room was very comfortable. Be prepared though... it was very chilly in our room at night. We stayed at Many Glacier the last week in August and the temps were in the 30-40s at night. It was very windy and we could feel the wind coming into our room. I guess that is part of having a lakeside room!

The hotel offered bagged lunches for $8/person. You have to order by 8pm the night before at the information desk and they are ready by 7am the next day. We ordered lunches x2 during our stay. The portions are very generous, but they only have 3 different sandwiches that you can choose from. Also, be careful to check your bill. We were overcharged for several lunches (about 16 additional, LOL). The manager took them off with no problem on our checkout day.

We ate at the bar our first night and we were less than thrilled. We thought the burgers were dry and the menu had little to choose from. The main dining room, Ptarmigan, was much better, but a lot more expensive. The dinners were priced $20 and higher.

The hotel gift shop has a lot to choose from and it's nice that it stays open until 10pm. We also took advantage of the snack store for some food for our hikes. We also enjoyed that right behind the hotel is a boat dock and access to trails.

The location of this hotel is excellent. I loved the overall rustic and cozy feel. We will definitely be staying here again on our return trip to GNP and highly recommend this hotel to our family and friends!

• Liked — The cozy, rustic feel of the hotel.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Many Glacier Hotel? Share your experiences!