This lodge was probably my favorite of the 4 lodges we stayed at while visiting Glacier – Waterton. This is an old, historic lodge, so YES, it’s noisy and the rooms are kind of small. But the location is fantastic. Sitting right on Swiftcurrent Lake, the lodge has a wonderful porch with lots of chairs looking out over the lake and the surrounding mountains. You can see Grinnell Glacier from the hotel and wildlife on the mountains across the street (although I was disappointed that I didn’t get to see a moose!!).
There are lots of chairs around the large fireplace in the lobby and they are always full. One of my favorite things was coming out of our room in the morning and being able to smell the fire burning downstairs.
We ate breakfast in the restaurant each morning. The only “ala carte” option offered was cold cereal. The buffet was standard breakfast buffet offerings with eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast, waffles, cold cereal, oatmeal, fruit, etc. for $14.95. Lunch at the lounge included soup, salad, buffalo burgers, wraps and sandwiches. Dinner selections included chicken, fish, and pasta dishes. I had the bison stroganoff, which was very good. My husband had grilled chicken. It came with 2 pieces of chicken – one was a little dry, the other one was okay. We were there at the end of the season and many of the summer workers had already left. Service was a little slow, particularly in the lounge, but the staff was always friendly.
There are quite a few hiking trails that take off right from the lodge. There is also a boat trip from the back of the lodge as well. The boat goes to the end of Swiftcurrent Lake and then you hike a .2 mile trail over to Lake Josephine where the boat tour continues. At the end of Josephine Lake, the boat docks and you have the option of getting off the boat and hiking from there. This can cut down the length of a hike by 2 – 3 miles. Grinnell Lake and Grinnell Glacier are popular and worthwhile hikes from here.
At our end of the lodge, it was 4 stories. There is an elevator, but it is pretty slow, so the quickest way to and from your room is the stairs. If you don't want to climb stairs, request a room on a lower floor. If you don't request a lower floor, they will most likely put you on the top floor. We were on the 4th floor, so we were far from the bustle of the lobby. You could, however, hear people walking in the halls and we could hear our neighbors a little as well. One of the ladies on our Red Bus tour claimed she was kept awake by her neighbors snoring!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1914, Many Glacier Hotel is situated on the shores of Swiftcurrent Lake and rests at the base of Mt. Grinnell inside Glacier National Park. The hotel has 214 rooms and offers a fine dining restaurant, lounge, apres fondue, gift shop, and snack shop. Red Bus tours, boat cruises, and other activities, including David Walburn's evening entertainment are available at this Swiss-style lodge. All guestrooms at Many Glacier Hotel are rustic, yet comfortable. In keeping with the era in which the hotel was built, the rooms offer guests modest amenities and old-world style accommodations resulting in a one-of-a kind, National Park lodging experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity so you can book your Many Glacier Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Many Glacier National Park
- Glacier Hotel
- Hotel Many Glacier
- Many Glacier Hotel Glacier National Park, Montana