“Needs a major room renovation” 3 of 5 stars

You added Many Glacier Hotel to your Saves list
Many Glacier Hotel
Highway 8, Swiftcurrent Lake, Glacier National Park, MT 59434   |
Denver, Colorado
“Needs a major room renovation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The exterior of the hotel and views are BEAUTIFUL. The rooms, at least in the area we stayed, were VERY out dated. For over $200 a night, I would expect a lot better. The carpet was green, indoor, outdoor carpet, the furniture and decor from the 1970's, the bathroom very much like a cheap motel. The bed had crumbs on it from the previous guests. The restaurant was very pretty and remodeled but the food was very mediocre and over priced. You definitely are paying for location and views. There is no internet, cell phone service or television so be ready to let the outdoors entertain you. The grizzlies we saw on the road there were the highlight of our trip!

Room Tip: I believe there is a wing that has been newly remodeled. Try to request one of those.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I was here in July 2012, enjoying the wonderful mountain air and the beautiful sights that are Glacier National Park. While I was shopping in the Many Glaciers Gift Shop, I saw a beautiful hand painted ornament with a mountain goat on it. There were three different ones, a Bear (blue in color), a Wolf-?(red in color) and the goat (green in color). I just had to buy the green goat, it was so cute! Along with a few other things....I brought all my goodies to the cash register. I paid, I received my bag from the clerk....and then I left.
I didn't look inside my gift shop bag, because I was too busy eating the delicious Huckleberry Ice Cream! I didn't think to "check" my bag either. Well, I put the whole bag (unchecked since it was handed to me) into my suitcase for safe keeping. When I got home a week later, I realize that I was missing the ornament! I was crushed. I only spent a little bit of money on souvenirs for myself. In fact it was the only thing I did buy for myself. My husband got a t-shirt and I got the Christmas ornament. I figured it wouldn't hurt to call the gift shop and see if they would offer some kind of solution for me.
It took a bit of time for the call to go through, but I was determined to locate my Glacier Goat Ornament. The (manager?) woman that took my call was wonderful. She got my address, tracked down my ornament amongst all the other stuff in the gift shop and mailed it to me within a week. I was ecstatic! Nobody had to help me out... it's not like I could prove it (I had the receipt, but whose to say whether I got all my items or not....), it was just a nice person who wanted to be helpful and sweet. I was thrilled that people like that are still out there! I want to give a BIG SHOUT OUT to the AWESOME people at the Many Glaciers Hotel Gift Shop! You are wonderful and made my Christmas truly special this year! Every person that came to the house and saw all my Christmas ornaments would hear the story of my Glacier Goat! I was a featured item on the tree this year and I will cherish it always. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

It is unbelievable to see places such as this nestled in the United States. I really don't know why anyone would leave the states because there are so many treasures. I was enchanted by this place. The main lounge area was beautifully decorated and quaint. I could sit and stare at the lake all day. I felt recharged and relaxed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Staying in one of the balcony rooms overlooking the lake, you get the feel of how the privileged of generations past spent their vacations, arriving at the Park by the Great Norther Empire Builder and by an old red bus from the station. You can easily overlook the tiny room with no TV and instead enjoy the beautiful sunrises and sunsets over the mountain peaks around the lake.

The restaurant is unique, the breakfast bar and dinner selections were quite adequate.

Room Tip: Choose a balcony overlooking the lake
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We spent two nights in Many Glacier Hotel in late August, staying in an unrenovated room located on the floor right above the lobby, facing away from the lake (Room 225). The room was comfortable but pretty basic (except for a lovely claw footed bathtub), and, obviously, a lake front room would have been better, but we were very pleased with our stay, loving the amazing location, spectacular views from the lobby, and historically interesting architecture. We also stayed at East Glacier Lodge, Prince of Wales and Lake McDonald Lodge, and although it is difficult to compare them, I was happy that we included Many Glacier because I thought it was in one of the most beautiful areas of the park with access to some great hikes. Two tips: Be sure and take the free tour of the hotel given most afternoons by a park ranger. Also, if you want to take the hike with a ranger to Grinnell Glacier, make your reservation as soon as possible for the early boat that the group takes to cross Swiftcurrent Lake (it was full when we tried to do this on the afternoon before we wanted to go).

Room Tip: Book your room as early as possible for best selection. I'd go for the view across the lake ove...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We spent 5 nights in Glacier National Park, two of which were in Many Glacier Hotel and we had a wonderful time. The scenery throughout East Glacier is really special and this rustic lodge was a fine setting for for a vacation. One tip: like most of the lodge restaurants, this one can be pricey. For dinner, drive a mile down the road to the Swift Current Motor Lodge and eat at the Italian Garden resturant which is part of the Motor Lodge. It's a nice drive, they have excellent food and the prices are geared towards backpackers so you'll save quite a few dollars.

Room Tip: For the most scenic view get an "outside room" (facing the lake) with a balcony
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in this lovely historic lodge. Our room had been updated and was small but very nice. The common areas (including the grand lobby fireplace) are lovely. The views are breathtaking. Swiftcurrent Lake is pristine. This was our fourth stop in Glacier National Park and the location was the loveliest. The 4 stars earned are for the hotel itself - not for the dining service, which I will highlight below. I include it in this review because you should be warned that when you stay here you are captive (hostage) to their dining options if you do not plan ahead and pack in some serious food.

Now the warning. When you are at this hotel you are about an hour's drive from the nearest off-site restaurant and the on-site food service is completely inadequate for the number of people they need to accomodate. On our first night we went down to the Ptarmigan dining room (which does not take reservations) and were told the wait would be an hour and a half. (We were already hungry, had a hungry kid, and had wanted to make it to the evening ranger talk. A ninety minute wait to just get seated was not an option.) We were told to try the Swiss Lounge.

We then went over to the Swiss Lounge, which is a casual, pub-style restaurant, and which was also completely full. We asked to do take-out and one staffer told us that would be fine - to order from the bartender. We selected what we wanted from the menu but the bartender refused to put in an order for take-out and said they just "don't do take-out."

The Swiss Lounge has no hostess and no wait list. If a group at a table gets up to leave, it's a free-for-all as to which guest grabs the table first. Hungry people were milling about the tables, strategizing as to which table to hover by. We tried a couple of times for a table but were elbowed out by others who had arrived after us. (How frustrating!) After a while there were a few seats open at the bar. We grabbed them and tried to order there but the bartender again refused to put in an order for us because my daughter (the hungry child) was under age and so legally could not sit at the bar (even if none of us ordered alcohol). We considered having her hide somewhere else in the hotel and just ordering a bunch of food for the two of us and bringing it out to her - like a dog - but that was too pathetic.

None of the staff offered to help manage the hovering crowds in a fair or orderly way. And at this point we were regretting not putting our name on the 90 minute wait list for the Ptarmigan room. So we returned to our hovering strategy and had to be so aggressive (downright rude) to get a table that I literally stood right next to it until the people started to leave and I immediately sat down as soon as the first person got up. They, at least, were sympathetic to our plight (unlike the staff) and warned us that the service and food were very slow. It also wasn't very good.

To be fair, I should add that there is also a small convenience store type of place on site that has trail mix, soda, chips and hot dogs (like you'd find at a gas station). One staffer suggested we eat our dinner there - doritos and granola bars for dinner, oh my! - I guess we weren't at risk of going hungry.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a remodelled/updated room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Many Glacier Hotel? Share your experiences!