“Great value! But......” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Perch Resort

and 1 more site!
You added The Perch Resort to your Saves list
The Perch Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Mile 224, Parks Hwy., Denali National Park and Preserve, AK 99755   |
Nova Scotia
“Great value! But......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I loved our cabin on this property - an A frame by the rushing river, it was cosy and extremely comfortable. And the price was great.....under 100 dollars, and just a short driving distance from the entrance to Denali Park. But - the one drawback was the shared bathroom facility. It was moldy and mildewy, and for the entire time we were there, there was a dirty towel on the floor behind one of the toilets, that looked as though it was there to sop up a leak. The showers were rather grungy too. If the bathroom had been cleaner, I would give this resort a much higher rating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reston, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights while visiting Denali NP. To get your keys, you have to go down a pot hole filled road and up a steep hill. The check in clerk was fast and efficient, but not very welcoming and not forthcoming with information. There was no information available up there at all. I could've used a local restaurant directory. Maybe they have check in all the way up that hill to keep you from bothering them.

The cabins are small, basic and worn, but clean. The bed was reasonably comfortable and had a very nice quilt on it. Lighting is a bit dim, making it hard to read at night. After a long day in Denali, I was pretty tired anyway, so this wasn't too much of a problem. The shower stall in the bathroom is pretty small and cramped.

Given the prices in the area for other accommodations, this is a good value for someone on a budget. Just don't expect a warm welcome!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

STOP, FOR YOUR OWN SAKE PLEASE DO NOT BOOK,
We have just returned from a 3 week holiday to Alaska and Canada and this is the only thing I could complain about, the rest was wonderful.
This hotel was dirty and run down, I could not possibly of stayed.
Toilet was filthy
Holes in bathroom walls
Ripped paper on bathroom walls
Crumpled sheets on bed
Tap in bathroom not working
Basically I think this may be ok for a run down school camp but I would certainly not let my children go to it.
We checked in saw the state of this accommodation and had to leave, we were told to contact Expedia regarding refund and although they did try to help they had already paid the Perch.
After a number of emails re refund the Perch has not even got back to me (what a surprise)
Don't let this place ruin your holiday, there are lovely accommodation places near by, luckily we had booked another hotel for the following night and they managed to fit us in.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Denali National Park and Preserve hotels

Surprise, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I chose this resort based on reviews in Trip Advisor and was sorely disappointed. I paid $101 per night for a green chalet cabin for 3 days. When I arrived on September 11, 2012. It was so cramped with spartan basic rustic spae, I could not believe it. There was a double bed with a bench at the base for luggage and hardly any room around the bed on all three sides to move. A sink with no countertop in the main room and a cramped closet sized bathroom with a toilet and a small shower completed the space. There was a little toilet paper left and no spare. My wife and I decided we would not shower. I went back up to the main office on the dirt road that serviced the resort, reluctantly because it was in such terrible condition that the exposed large rocks and pot holes combined to make a very rough ride. I asked for a spare toilet paper roll and then said how disappointed I was by the chalet. I also found out that this was the last week they were open and that the restaurant was closed for the week. I told them the restaurant was the big draw and I was also disappointed it was closed. I was offered a larger chalet. The larger chalet was from the grey colored group of chalets. It was much roomier and had two double beds whcih we did not need. My wife took a shower and then I took a shower. In the middle of my shower with a headful of shampoo, the hot water died and I was greeted with a torrent of ice cold water. I couldn't finish the shower and was left to my own devices tp clean up. Needless to say we did not shower the next two days. Upon leaving I ran into another guest who told me they too had no hot water but there was hot water at the bath house whcih required walking in the cold after showering. I cannot recommend this place to stay but the bus driver on the Denali tour said the restaurant deserved its reputation...

Room Tip: Only stay in the grey chalets with two double beds.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
penzance
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed here with my dad and my sister. We had a cabin with single, double and loft and private bathroom. Storing our luggage was the most difficult thing..just no real extra room. We really only slept there so it was fine. You dont park right infront of your cabin either..so have to schlep you bags a little bit but not bad. We werent looking for a 4 star alaskan adventure so for us it was fine. Its like 10 miles from Denali National Park and away from all the cruise ship people so that was a bonus. The resturants near by were both really good. Had the best pizza at Panaram Pizza and great breakfast at the Perch resturant.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Crans-Montana, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Extremely rough and basic. If you've been camping this may be an improvement. While the beds Sleep 4 , doing do would leave no room to put luggage. The cabin is really tiny. One guest has to climb a high vertical ladder to get into top level bed. I go to the gym regularly and struggled. Could never get your luggage up there. Floor dirty, but there's no way you coud get a vacuum cleaner up there. Only the male in our group braved the unsavoury shower. I didn't wash for the 2 nights I'd booked there.

No wifi in cabin as described, only in breakfast room. Cabin so small you wouldn't want to spend any time in it other than sleep. No facility to make a hot drink.

I only booked as all other accommodation was booked, but on arrival several vacancy signs posted. So recommend you don't book this if nothing else available and take your chances on arrival.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
fernley nv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

my wife and i stayed at the pearch in sept, 2 wks b4 closing.my son who lives in anchorage was getting married there.we 1st stayed in cabin 4 the first night with no bathroom,it seemed like a long walk at four in the mourning,so the next 2 nights we decided to upgrade to cabin 10 with a bathroom,we were happy for that,the room was cozy and comfortable.the restaurant was only opened for breakfest and it was good.the wedding turned out great and the roasted pig cooked on the spit was awesome.the wedding was on the back deck of the pearch and the weather was really nice,great timing.the next night we ate at the pizza pup,the pizza was one of the best we ever had,with a crunch to every bite.overall we had a great time staying at the pearch, and josh and paul are really good people[owners].thx, gary and kim dolling.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Denali Bluffs Hotel
Denali Bluffs Hotel
#6 of 7 in Denali National Park and Preserve
3.0 of 5 stars 343 reviews

Been to The Perch Resort? Share your experiences!