“overpriced and I would look elsewhere” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Denali River Cabins

You added Denali River Cabins to your Saves list
Denali River Cabins
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Mile 231.1 Parks Highway, Denali National Park and Preserve, AK 99755   |
Bangkok, Thailand
“overpriced and I would look elsewhere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were two couples who stayed for 3 nights in July. The cabin rooms are very small and there was no hot water for the entire time for showering. We would have left after the first night had we not prepaid,
The staff were very nice and friendly, the problem seems to be with upper management or lack there of. The restaurant food was good and early breakfasts were no problem. There looked to be much better places to stay around Denali.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Clarksville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Cabins are basic. There is no refrigerator. We stayed by the river cabins, which I don't suggest as it has partial view and river color is dark due to silt. It is 6 miles drive to Denali park entrance.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Whidbey Island, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

The cabins were on the small side (two small beds barely slept four), but we didn't go to Denali to stay inside! While the room was very basic with few amenities (I expect a little more for the price) our room was very clean - a must for me. There was a bit of traffic noise which was mostly masked by the rushing Nenana River. The exceptionally friendly staff was very helpful when it came to requesting information regarding nearby hiking trails and more. As a plus, the white river rafting and interior tour buses both made stops at the cabins. On the downside, Denali River Cabins did not offer a tram to and from sites (we were able to bum rides from the great guys at Denali Cabins) although they do pick up and drop off from the train station.

Room Tip: The riverfront room was worth the extra price.
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Mattress was one step above real camping, but impeccably clean room, bath and external sink. Cute little places with a fresh-cut wood smell, and river rapids sounds to lull you to sleep,though occasional road noise on the bridge. Inexpensive breakfast, and coffee. Tip: Book your bus tour of Denali with your hotel reservation for not only a discount, but to enjoy a larger window and more comfortable seat on your way to the DRC other privately owned Doyon indian hotel, Kantishna Roadhouse, where you enjoy a luxurious camp lodge, hiking, lunch, cool bartender who I could have talked to ALL DAY, and a choice of gold panning or dog sled educational course. Our driver was THE BEST, highly skilled, with an interesting background of slavic folklore, and a really amazing gift for storytelling. What could have been a too-long drive was delightful with his stories and snack breaks, hot drink breaks, homemade cookies rivaling Ms. Fields and a crazy Willie Nelson-like dog mushing trainer at the lodge. Consider the flight back if weather is clear over McKinley.

Room Tip: All cabins seem same. River view would be a plus, as well being at the extreme end of the path. Sau...
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

First time in Alaska and a travel company sent us here when I asked for a "rustic but upscale" cabin experience! Wow, not what I ordered!! It was like camping out but with a roof over your head. Beds like stone, heater that smelled of propane when lit. Worried I would die of carbon monoxide during my sleep. Dark and dreary room with ratty old bed spreads, TV with only 2 channels and a shower stall that you cracked your elbows on when washing. Come to find out there were tons of great places in walking distance, so stay anywhere but here!

Room Tip: Get one next door!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Denali National Park and Preserve hotels

Fairbanks, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Our unit we slept in on the night of August 9th had no hot water the morning of the 10th. I had to report it through the toll free number, because no one answered the front desk phone. The person said the maintaince guy will be out in 30 min. After more than an hour we came back from breakfast and still there was not hot water or any sign of hot water. Being in this business myself I understand that a hot water boiler break on a Saturday at midnight. I asked a housekeeper if it was not possible if we could not use a bathroom of a room she busy cleaning. She said she already did the bathroom but would ask the supervisor. Supervisor said to see the front desk. Front desk said the guy was notified and that I should see the manager. I said to her all I ask for is just a bathroom we can take a shower and get on our bus that was leaving in 1/2 hour. My wife saw a different housekeeper and ask for a place to shower, and all answer she got was "It's not my problem"
This was the worst customer service I ever experienced, and will not stay there again.

Bellefonte
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

It's not the Ritz but I wasn't expecting that. The cabins are small but very cute and rustic. The beds weren't very comfortable but we were able to sleep. The carpet, bed linens and blankets seemed pretty old and need to be updated but they were clean. We felt like we were "roughing it" and had a great 2 nights. It got pretty chilly by morning but the heater in the room was warm. We got a note in our registration packet that they were having problems with the hot water. This seems to be an ongoing problem but it is in the middle of the wilderness. We let the water run for about 5 minutes before getting in and it was warm enough.

The location was great! We arrived by train and the shuttle picked us up at the railroad station. The two excursions that we booked picked us up right outside the lobby which was very convenient. The river was nice and offered some relaxing walks along the rocky beach. The restaurant was good but a bit pricey and did not have many choices for picky kids.

The people at the lobby desk were very friendly but they didn't know much about other activities in the area. It would have been nice to have a map and a list of activities that we could look at. We had already booked 2 excursions but had time to do a few more things. When I asked for ideas or suggestions, they pointed to a table with a few brochures and told me I could find more information on the computer.

It was one of the less expensive places to stay in Denali but it wasn't cheap. It was a unique place and I'm glad we stayed there. I'm not sure if we'd stay again because we like to experience different places. Denali is just an amazing location and it doesn't matter where you stay. Just enjoy being there!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Denali River Cabins? Share your experiences!