“This hotel saved our trip!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Denali Park Village

You added Denali Park Village to your Saves list
Denali Park Village
2.5 of 5 Lodge   |   Milepost 231, George Parks Hwy, Denali National Park and Preserve, AK 99755 (Formerly McKinley Village Lodge)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$165 (USD)
Eagle River, AK
“This hotel saved our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

This hotel was wonderful! They are pet-friendly and family friendly! It is located right on the Nenana River and there is a walking trail along the river - beautiful!

We had a terrible experience at a neighboring hotel and we came to Denali Park Village instead. The Front Desk Assistant Manager, David Orlando, was wonderful! He came outside to meet my husband and offered us a better rate than normal for a last minute booking because of the issue we had previously with McKinley Chalet Resort. His kindness did so much to negate how upset we were. Before we spoke with him, we were ready to turn around and leave Denali National Park.

He provided a king size bed in a non-smoking room with a mountain and river view! He was welcoming to our little dog and made sure we were on the first floor near the door. I can't say enough about this hotel. Thank you Denali Park Village and especially David Orlando!

Room Tip: If you have a dog, stay in room 211 - King size bed with a view of the river and mountains in the ba...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeff B, Operations Manager at Denali Park Village, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
We are happy to hear that you had a great time at the Village and thank you for recognizing David Orlando. He is a wonderful employee who genuinely cares about guest service. Our team is very passionate about Alaska and we want to see everyone enjoy their stay.

Thank you again for the review and we hope to see you again someday!

Jeff - Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
Davenport, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Please look for a place that will have more and better amenities and options for the money. We are on the land portion of a Celebrity tour. Do not stay in buildings 100-600. Apparently 700 &800 are newer and better and by the river. But still, $3.25 for a bottle of soda. You are trapped here and that is their plan. This place smells of a development allowed by some lobbyist for aramark in Washington and is certainly not designed as a help for the public. More like a way to make money. I am at a loss for an understanding of any excellent or very good reviews for this place except that they were apparently in the 700 or 800 building. The others do not have a microwave, a fridge and no AC. I really do not know the area but I'm sure you can do better if you try.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Dale33897,

I am very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at the lodge. All the rooms were remodeled over the winter and are of the highest standard in Denali. Nevertheless, we failed to meet your expectations. Please give me a call at 907.683.8900. I am interested in learning more about your experience so that we can improve.

Travelers are raving about these Denali National Park and Preserve hotels

San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The Denali Park Village: There is no way out of the Village area. You are trapped and the prices somewhat exorbitant. Eg: $32 for two bowls of oatmeal and two cups of coffee. Now had we been smarter there is a service there that we could have used and bought a take-out for one half the price. Education comes expensive. The Village is nice, the room service abominable. We had to call for an afternoon pickup of the room AFTER our Denali tour.

We found out later from a friendly employee that it is possible to get a ride for $1 to the other - I'll call it downtown - area, and you do need to buy a meal there. This by the local Salmon Bake Restaurant. Look it up and get their Shuttle number.

Room Tip: Get the phone number of Salmon Bake to call for a shuttle to "town".
Wayne, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Can't say enough good about Denali Park Village. We arrived to a warm, inviting lobby with personal guest services who greeted us and escorted us to our charming cabin-like room. Two queen beds and a little frig made it perfect for my husband and I along with our two boys. We loved the little balcony overlooking the river, perfect for evening cocktails or a quiet time to read up on Alaska. Loved the Starbucks in the lobby for quick snacks and coffee along with the personable and knowledgeable wait staff in the restaurant. Great breakfast buffet and late night snacks. The Roadhouse restaurant, also on the property was terrific for the kids. Food was delicious and dart board, pool table and air hockey kept everyone happy. The grounds of the facility were very picturesque and we even saw a moose grazing along the road on our short walk home from dinner. For a large group wanting to explore Denali and get a feel for the locals, we couldn't have asked for more. All transportation needs were handled seamlessly. The service was exceptional.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We are glad to hear that you had a wonderful time at the lodge! The Roadhouse and the entire Miner's Plaza are new and a great place for kids and families.

Thank you for the review and also for the kind words about our staff. We have a great group of employees and it is always good to see them get compliments. Hopefully we will see you again in the future.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The setting of the hotel is beautiful with trails and nice views. I used the laundry facilities as I was halfway through my trip; they had a good set up for that. Room was simple but clean and recently done and practical. Perfect after a day of touring. My building had a nice patio with chairs overlooking the river. Great place to unwind after visiting Denali park. My only negative is the food. We had breakfast and dinner there. It was over priced, and just OK. I think the whole area does not have a large selection of dining options and that may be part of the overall experience!

Room Tip: Try to get a room in a building further away from the main building, where all the buses drop/pickup...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jeff B, Operations Manager at Denali Park Village, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you for the review and we are glad you enjoyed your room, outdoor seating areas and laundry room. I apologize that our restaurant did not meet your standards. We have two restaurants on site and are always looking to improve. If you have any specific feedback please call me at 907.682.8900 so I can learn more.

mt. morris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed in the newer part of the village and what beautiful rooms. It had a king size bed and a small table and chairs but had plenty of room because it had sliding doors with a patio with table and chairs that made the room seem larger. We had a view of the river and could walk the short trail behind the rooms.Only thing it didn't have was a fridge for my husbands' medication. there was a couple of places to eat and some shops to shop, Quaint and nice.

Room Tip: Rooms with a river view. Buildings 7 or 8.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and we are happy to hear that you had a wonderful time at our lodge. We made many renovations over the winter that have greatly improved the lodge. We are glad you enjoyed your room and trails on the river. Hopefully we will see you again someday!

Jackson, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed here 1 night out of a cruise tour package so I am not aware of the breakdown on cost. It was clean but no a/c - which I made it ok. I was not expecting anything fancy, but I was also expecting a little bit more room. If I had booked it myself I would have gotten a bigger room with a frig and for sure a bigger bathroom. As I said, as part of a cruise package I was unaware of the different choices they offered. As far as people and cleanliness goes - it was great!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the positive review and we are glad that you had a great time in Denali. Some of our rooms are on the small side but that is usually not a concern since many cruise passengers only stay one night. For those on longer stays, it is a good idea to upgrade to the 700 building or a room with 2 queens at booking so you have more space.

Thanks again for the review and hopefully we will see you again someday.

Jeff - Operations Manager

Been to Denali Park Village? Share your experiences!