“OK but not great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Denali Backcountry Lodge

You added Denali Backcountry Lodge to your Saves list
Denali Backcountry Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mile 95 Denali Park Road, Denali National Park and Preserve, AK 99755   |
New Hampshire
“OK but not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Denali Backcountry Lodge July 2012. This could be a once-in-a-liletime experience but it falls short. Ok, they do a great job in the middle of nowhere!! You are basically at the end of the road in Denali Park. There is no power and everything runs off of 2 generators. Water is supplied to the cabins as is power.The rooms are very nice. We had one that faces the river with a spectacular feel and I would recommend spending the small additional margin to get one of these. The rooms are luxurious for where they are. Your other option is camping at Wonder lake which is about 10 miles back up the Denali road. Big difference. The food attempts to be gourmet and is great for where you are. The staff is extremely nice. The place is very clean and well kept. Tara is a splendid host and tries to meet your needs. So what do I want, egg in my beer?
Where does it fall short? Well, we went there to hike. We figured with 2 full days available to us we might be able to have a guided all day hike. The lodge is not set up for this and prefers rather modest half day trips that start and return to their front door. They could easily do better. They were more concerned about getting us back for lunch. This is not a cruise ship!!You really ought to have a guide and not go off by yourself in Gris country. The evening movies are short park production Nature type DVD's which are boring to say the least. I know this sounds like picky stuff, but they need to be more thoughtful about their activites. There you are in one of the most remote and beautiful settings in the world and somehow, it is not exciting. I mean it really flops !! We did enjoy the bike ride to Wonder lake one afternoon on our own but I have to admit I wish I had some bear spray with me. So what do I really think? Go there but it might be more restful then you want and no one goes all the way there to rest!! Rest somewhere else. They need to kick it up at least 2 notches and provide some memorable experiences for those who want it.
Another option is to stay at the opening to Denali park and take a park bus in and the ranger guided hike. Two days of this would be plenty and alot cheaper.

Room Tip: Get the one on the river. Consider flying out directly to your destination and skip the return bus r...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
AlaskaGM, General Manager at Denali Backcountry Lodge, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
BDHNewHampshire,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay in July. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your cabin that faced Moose Creek. It certainly brings the wild of Denali closer to one’s accommodations. Deluxe cabins are available with either king or two double beds, and have a deck that looks upon Moose Creek.

Casual and moderate hikes are scheduled each day, with challenging hikes available on request. The lodge will pack a lunch for guests, and the guest can plan to spend from 6 to 8 hours with a guide in the backcountry. Challenging hikes range in difficulty, and can gain from 1500 to 2000 feet in elevation change in Kantishna. Bear spray is available for loan at the Front Desk. Additional trails are peppered throughout Kantishna, with a short transport to the trailhead. Guides can discuss backcountry etiquette and safety, and provide numerous topographic and local maps for the unguided hiker.

Please feel free to contact me with any further comments.

Tara Aller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Aberdeen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed for three nights and was extremely disappointed with this place. Firstly, on arrival at the railway depot, there was no-one to meet the train so there were no instructions as to where and when to get the bus to the hotel. Every other company took guests straght away but the Denali Backcountry Lodge bus did not arrive for an hour and a half. The journey is very long but the wildlife and scenery amazing. Grumpy driver loved the sound of his own voice and drolled out mind-numbingly boring facts and figures. On arrival at the Lodge, my suitcase was not on the bus. The staff did little to assist and displayed a 'couldn't care less attitude'. I had to persuade them to provide me with something to sleep in and other guests gave me toiletries as the hotel only reluctantly provided a toothbrush. The manager and guest rep were hopeless and showed no genuine concern for my plight. Only the assistant manager displayed any customer care.
The food was lukewarm each evening and of mediocre quality. The eastern european dining room staff were pleasant but their inexperience certainly showed. The 'activities' advertised are not good, and, although the 'hikes' were pleasant enough,they were more like strolls. Guests are very much a captive audience and at the mercy of what the staff want to offer. If this Lodge were anywhere else, it would not survive because of the inexperienced, poor-quality staff; low standard of food and wine and dreadful customer service. I know this is a wilderness but this Lodge purports to be something it is not! A two night stay is certainly long enough and is necessary because the timings of arrivals (8pm) and departure (6am) mean only one full day at the Lodge. Do not stay for more than two nights and fly out rather than take the return bus journey.I had high hopes for this section of my Alaskan trip but it was the most disappointing by far. I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
AlaskaGM, General Manager at Denali Backcountry Lodge, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
EP,

Thank you for your comments of your stay. The bus departs from the train station daily at 1:30 PM to Denali Backcountry Lodge. This allows for the traveler to tour the Denali National Park Visitor Center, gift area and bookstore, and eat lunch between the train arrival and bus departure.

In the event luggage is delayed, toiletries are available at the Guest Service Desk, and additional toiletries are available for purchase in the Gift Shop. We strive to provide guests with amenities that ensure comfort in a wilderness setting.

The bar includes a wide selection of liquor, beer, and two dozen wines during dinner service. Dinners include fresh Alaskan fare and seasonal creations at the Chef’s discretion. The guests are welcomed by staff from around the world, who ventures to Denali to explore the region and provide a high level of guest service.

If you have any further comments, please feel free to contact me directly.

Tiburon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

II had read the reviews and was a little leery about the resort - my fears were unfounded. we took a loonng bus trip and were rewarded by seeing grizzlies and cubs and caribou. The scenery is magnificent. We were surprised how quiet it was. Our cabin faced the creek so that may have been why - other noises were drowned out. I don't know if they have anything larger than double beds. It is very difficult for two adults to sleep comfortably. We arrived in time for dinner and while the kitchen offered well-prepared food there were not a lot of options for vegetarians or non-meat eaters. The second night we were served salmon and chicken. Breakfast and lunch was okay.
The guides were knowledgeable - they take a two-week crash course before guests arrive. We had lovely hikes and flight-seeing, gold panning and bike riding are available. A short walk to Fannie Quigley's cabin is a nice diversion.
Rather than take the arduous bus trip back out (it leaves at 6AM) we took a flight out with Kantishna Fly Service. What a treat! The flight was to take us to the park entrance but we asked our guide, Kurt, to take us around Mt. McKinley (Denali) and it was a beautiful clear day. We saw hikers coming down off the mountain and hidden valleys and glaciers. It was worth the extra cost.
The mosquitos are bad and even with spray and protective gear we got bitten. It was worth it. A truly magnificent place left to explore in the states. There is plenty to do and evenings offered nature movies and talks.

Room Tip: Stay on the creek in an end cabin.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
AlaskaGM, General Manager at Denali Backcountry Lodge, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
KikiK1025,

Thank you for your comments of your experiences in Denali, and at Denali Backcountry Lodge. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your creekside cabin, and the serenity of the landscape in Kantishna. The lodge offers 42 rooms, 12 of which include king size beds and 30 include double beds. Cabins with king rooms are included with Superior or Deluxe room types, which are an upgrade from the Traditional room type that offers double beds. I apologize that a cabin with a king bed was not available during your stay.

The Kantishna Air Taxi offers a magnificent flightsee trip of Mount McKinley just ¼ mile from the lodge, as well as transportation to other locations. I am delighted that you enjoyed the flight to the park entrance, and were able to experience the park road from this perspective.

If you have any further comments, please feel free to contact me.

McLean, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Spent 2 nights. You arrive at 8 pm on day 1 and leave at 6:10 am on day 3. In other words, for the price of two nights you get one full day (day 2) for activities, which can include a hike in the morning and an activity-"lite" in the afternoon. Afternoon "lite" activities include things like pretend gold panning and "fishing" which is nothing more than gettting dropped off 1/4 mile from the shallow end of the lake with poor equiment and lures bought from Overtons. You couldn't cast far enough to get past 2' of water. No guides, no knowledge, etc. Other activies include "talks" by undergraduate college students. All of the staff was friendly but were out of state college students and none were Alaskans nor going to school in AK. Food was fair, but some entrees were cold and it was by no means gourmet.

This is not a traditional Alaskan "lodge" but is a very overpriced hotel with some basic activities. Don't think you are getting a bargain fishing lodge, because you aren't, unless you are going to be self-directed.

Further, and somewhat surpricing, because there is only one road in Denali it has quite a bit of bus traffic. Therefore, sometimes it seems more like a busy road (NYC) than the backcountry.

There is no view of any alpine mountains from the lodge. There are some nice hills and a pretty river. In order to see any real mountains you have to go on a hike.

Be prepared to spend 10-12 hours on the bus....while you may seem some wildlife, you can see the same wildlife and probably get equal or better narration from the park service buses, for free.

For a family of 5 we spent almost $4k! My recommendation would be to stay outside the park and take the park service buses for day hikes. The road is 91 miles. You aren't missing much if you go only 45 miles in and skip the other 45 miles. We happened to get very lucky and day 2 was the only sunny day we had in AK, therefore we McKinley on our "strenuous" hike. But in conversations with many others, most had the usual AK experience of it being obscured by clouds.

Because of the price and demographics, people seemed to be only staying 2 or 3 nights so there is minimal socializing.

According to an employee, the lodge was purchased in 2011 from its founding family by a resort company, and this may have had some impact on the place.

Of our two week vacation in AK, this was rated the worst segment by my family and the worst value by me.

(If you still want to go and money is no object, I'd recommend taking the bus one way and flying one way, unless you really like long bus rides).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kley P,

Thank you for your comments. Your comments assist us in constantly improving the experience for our guests, and providing great guest service. The 95-mile bus ride through Denali National Park features a narrative tour along glacier-carved valleys, the snow-capped Alaska Range, vast tundra, and spruce forests. The landscape often unveils herds of caribou, moose in kettle ponds, wolves, grizzlies with cubs, and Dall sheep clinging to the sides of rocky cliffs. The buses allow the visitor to safely view wildlife at its most raw moments, and gain glimpses of Mount McKinley at many viewing points. The Eielson Visitor Center hosts a myriad of Denali-inspired works from the artist-in-residence program. Natural history displays allow the visitor to connect with the land, and short trails overlook the braided Thorofare River.

The lodge is nestled in a valley on Moose Creek in Kantishna, with spruce and aspen peppering the land. The Wonder Lake shuttle transports guests to viewing of the Alaska Range and Mount McKinley on two scheduled departures, and upon request. The Blueberry Hill trail overlooks Wonder Lake with occasional visits from loons, trumpeter swans, and the ptarmigan, Alaska’s state bird. It is time spent for quiet reflection, photographs, rigorous hiking, or fishing along the shore. Fishing is often better rewarded with a walk out to a section of the lake that allows for easier access to deeper waters. Waders and rubber boots are available at the lodge, and fishing equipment is provided. Moose Creek is conveniently located near the lodge, and fishing licenses can be purchased at the front desk.

I apologize for the food being cold during your stay. I have communicated this with the Chef, and we work to ensure the food is hot, and meets or exceeds the expectations of our guests.

The staff at the lodge strives to provide a memorable experience of Denali through storytelling, tundra walks, gold mining history programs, and various cultural and natural history programs. The staff brings their talents and passions to a place where guests can choose to hike rigorously or relax quietly in a secluded gazebo.

If you have any further comments, please feel free to contact me.

Lapeer, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Would have rated okay if less $$ but for the money I expected more. The trip into the lodge was exciting and the bus driver said we got lucky with the wildlife we saw(most within the first hour of the trip-wish I'd just done the tundra tour). But honestly we saw more wildlife and up closer when driving in the pennisula. With the rain it was hard to see and the window was rigged so it kept falling down and we got wet-also made it difficult to take pictures. When we got there the first thing I was thrown by was we were told we had to ask for room keys-they don't lock the doors-we asked anyway. They said they have no theft problem and I asked if they were going to be responsible if another guest stole from me-nope.

Food was okay but limited (not to my liking) and for 3 days I only ate chicken and one dry sandwich and only drank water and 2 cokes bacause I couldn't find anyone to serve me soft drinks (the wait staff doubles as housekeeping and noone was ever in the lodge). I am a picky eater and there wasn't much selection-i.e. dinner one night was Salmon or chicken, brussel sprouts and rice. The welcome speech wasn't very informative (optional activities)and after dinner we went to sign up for the hikes and they were all full-we were told we could do a hike on our own w/o a guide or wait a day to get on a guided hike the next day but we weren't going to be there! They only take 11 people per hike and more people then spaces available...the next day it rained and alot of people cancelled so we were able to do the "moderate" ridge hike-described as switchback trail. It was straight up for 40 minutes before I asked how much more "up" and I was told we go up until we go down! Another woman and I turned back and found the road to walk back was flooded and we were stranded near the Kantishna roadhouse. The back country lodge doesn't have a phone so the roadhouse had to call the air service to call the lodge to get us a ride back because the road was washed out. If I were going to stay again I'd try the roadhouse-they serve liquor (back country lodge serves beer and wine you pay for IF you can find someone to serve you and not before 2:30 pm after the day trippers leave since they are all gone waiting on those people). I'd ask about activites though-boring unless you want to hike from morning until bedtime. Can only stare at the beautful scenery so long. When we went in the roadhouse for help there was someone at the desk-we had a hard time finding anyone at the back country lodge as they were all off doing hikes or serving the day visitors-also saw another post that mentions the day trippers didn't leave much for the overnight guests at lunch and that's what happened with us-limited condiments left me a dry ham sandwich and water for lunch! I asked for a coke but they said they couldn't serve that with lunch-it was in the other building and not possible. The dining staff was nice and friendly but not experienced. I wanted a coke with my dinner and I asked when I sat down (both dinners)-I finally got it when they saw me get up and go start upstairs myself AFTER I was done eating (a piece of chicken and some water). Drinks available consisted of watered down lemonade, coffee, tea and water. Can't even get a soft drink (I would have paid ANYTHING for some caffeine and I don't drink coffee-had a headache and tired from the withdrawal-can you tell I'm a coke-usually pepsi but coke would have done-addict?).

There weren't any bikes left, and other than old board games and hiking.....NOTHING to do. I think this lodge would be great for 20 somethings in excellent shape that wanted to hike all the time (be warned the hikes are most likely rated by the guides who are young and hike daily-the moderate walk I would consider difficult and at 50 I'm not in bad shape-walk 5-6 miles a day at home). They need to consider people who are young enough to hike all day like that most likely can't afford that place-and the guests that can afford it need something else to do. Other than some young people with their parents most guests were our age or older. They need a pool table or fooz ball (I'd have paid to play those) or other activities like a scavanger hunt-anything other than staring at the river and woods. My husband doesn't read and likes a beer in the afternoon and he was going nuts-nothing to do and when he was able to buy a beer he bought 2-3 at a time b/c he didn't know when he could find someone to serve him another one. The day we were there all day he had 4 beers -but would have had 6 or 7 if he could have.

The trip back we experienced a rock slide and we were running late for the train. Our driver seemed to not be in a hurry and still took forever at the snack stop-which he should have skipped. The driver stopped to talk to his supervisor on his school bus route and cvhat with other drivers after that! Then the bus broke down and it was a hose that was replaced the day before (I think I read someone else had a broken down bus on another trip). The driver had his own tools (noone answered the sat. phone and he had no radio but the other buses did so he asked them to call for help)-he went to fix it and it took an hour-all because the mechanic didn't tighten the clamp and it fell off-making us miss our train! The other buses that were caught in the rock slide made the train but we pulled in as it pulled out! After a huge argument they did offer to pay the difference between the cost of the bus and the train. Nice way to get people to take their bus instead of the train! Free woulkd have been more like it and then I still wouldn't have been happy about it. I would have taken the bus if that's what I wanted and the bus had no bathroom (neither of them)-spending 16 hours on a bus was no fun and I wanted the train so I could move around due to a hip issue (it's okay as long as I can get up once in awhile but as it was..for 3 days after this I couldn't move.

The long story short we found Denali disappointing-the best part of the trip was the kenai pennisula (and we spent 18 days traveling from Fairbanks to Denali to Anchorage and 10 days in a motor home doing Wrangell-St Elias to Valdez and then to the pennisula-we did it all).

FYI-We would not have received a refund on the train (they wanted to blame the rock slide) if it weren't for the nice people at Alaska Denali Tours. They obviously fought for what was right! We still had to pay for the bus but we didn't lost the over $400 on the train by missing it.

Long story short-stick to the pennisula and skip Denali all together-unless your lucky enough for the mountain to be visible there's nothing special about it!

Room Tip: If you insist on going try the Kantishna Roadhouse-it's family owned instead of corporate and se...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
AlaskaGM, General Manager at Denali Backcountry Lodge, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Claire M,

Thank you for your review and candid comments. The Denali Backcountry Lodge staff strives to provide exceptional guest service, and for guests to experience the grandeur and wildness of Denali in comfortable, and well-appointed accommodations. Room keys are provided on request upon arrival at the front desk and at any time during a guests’ stay.

The program at the lodge includes various outdoor and indoor programs. Guided casual and moderate hikes are available each morning for a variety of hiking abilities. The maximum number of 11 guests per hike is to ensure an intimate guided hike, and minimize the impact on the trail. Wonder Lake shuttles are available in the morning and afternoon to explore a self-guided trail, and experience the beauty of the Alaska Range. When Mt. McKinley makes an appearance, additional shuttles and viewing times are arranged for guests to catch a glimpse of this majestic mountain.

A gold panning demonstration features the simpler life, some one hundred years ago, when miner’s panned the same Moose Creek. The botany walk features the diversity of the tundra along a quarter-mile trail with no elevation gain. Fannie Quigley was one of Kantishna’s most infamous gold miners, and the interpretive walk to her cabin off the park road is a way to step back in time during an era of gold fever and mountaineering.

Naturalist programs follow dinner, and the Program Lodge hosts a variety of natural history films on Denali National Park, and other Alaskan favorites. Other special programs arise based on holidays and special times in the season. The lodge bar includes beer, wine, and liquor for enjoyment during many programs.

Hike descriptions are carefully considered, and I appreciate your comments regarding the descriptions of moderate hikes. I apologize for the inconvenience the morning of your hike. The Denali Backcountry Lodge does have a phone, and I will ensure that this is communicated to staff in neighboring lodges.

Chef Benjamin Phillips and his culinary team bring Alaskan seafood and meats, nightly homemade desserts, and tasty appetizer creations to the Denali experience. Four weeks ago, brussel sprouts were removed from the menu, and other fresh vegetables currently compliment the entrees.

Thank you for your comments, and if you have any additional suggestions, I would be happy to speak with you.

Denali Backcountry Lodge
Strasbourg, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

90 miles into this AMAZING Denali National Park! Surrounded by the spectacular landscapes and the wildlife of Alaska - this alone is worth the stay at Denali Backcountry Lodge.
The cabins are cozy, well equipped and have thin walls. You can hear what's going on all around you and the boardwalks are noisy. Meals are just okay.
The main lodge is comfortable and a good place to hang around, enjoy the appetizers and a drink in the evenings and see the natural history presentations.
We stayed here for 3 days and weren't bothered by any 'crowds' but then we were away hiking all day and enjoying the outdoors. There are guided hiking tours or you can go on your own with your lunch bag. Staff will take you to the trail heads and get you at the end of the day. They are very helpful and will go out of their way to accommodate you. We loved this lodge and the beautiful setting at 'the end of the road'.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Granger, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

If you make the 90 mile trip into the backcountry of Denali National Park do yourself a favor and stay a few nights at the lodge. The trip in is unbelievable with views of mountains and wildlife but being at the lodge really sets the stage well. The service is top notch and everyone is so friendly as they accommodate all of your needs. The food is amazing. You wouldn't think it would be so good considering it all has to flown in but it was outstanding. The rooms were exceptionally clean and it was the most comfortable bed I had while in Alaska. They have plenty of activities scheduled with hikes and such or you can just relax by the river that the lodge sits on. Add this to your trip, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for one by the river.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Denali Backcountry Lodge? Share your experiences!