“Nice campsite in Death Valley” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Texas Spring Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Death Valley National Park
Texas Spring Campground
Rt 190, Death Valley National Park, CA   |
Wellington, New Zealand
“Nice campsite in Death Valley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We hadn't planned to stay at Texas Springs but when we visited in October the other two campsites in Furnace Creek were closed. But we were happy with Texas Springs and even being the only one open it was still reasonably quiet. The toilets were clean, and you get a nice view from your campsite. We enjoyed the fire pits, but definitely bring your own wood with you, the general store in Furnace Creek are well aware they are the only shop around! If you're coming from Vegas and planning to stop on the way to get supplies you might be disappointed, as we were with Lathrop Wells. It's a weird little place with just a petrol station/store/diner/brothel with lots of alien paraphernalia - truly bizarre, worth a stop to get some petrol and have a look but if you're self-catering stock up before you leave Vegas. It gets really dark in the desert and it's much easier to set up camp while it's daylight. The stars are amazing though. Definitely recommend the $5 shower and swim at the furnace creek resort, the spring fed 29'C pool was definitely a highlight, and it's valid for 24 hours so if you go in afternoon after your finished hiking you can take an early morning swim before you head off the next day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Shoreline
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Has plenty of spacious sites. The A loop is tents only, we parked our popup here next to a little creek. Nice spot under trees to set up chairs if its hot. Restroom is cold water only, no showers, nice and clean. You can swim and shower at the resort for $5 per day. A very pleasant desert experience, close to most of the must-see sights.

• Stayed February 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Arriving after dark, we first found Furnace Creek, but even for the time of year (late Nov) it seemed quite full and didn't have very clear instructions. We found Texas Springs much more accommodating and it was an amazing but eerie place by the moonlight. Had a little trouble with the payment machines taking ages to read our card - think they may have been solar powered. Good facilities, some newer, some needing work. No showers but for one night it's perfect. Good size pull through sites for campervans/RV's with your own picnic table. Would recommend doing the Mosaic Canyon walk whilst your there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxnard, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I choose this campground without even looking at Furnace Creek since I knew it was higher, smaller and often less crowded than furnace creek. Lack of reservations may contribute to the lighter use. I stayed in October. Springtime would be much busier and I would probably be inclined to reserve a site at Furnace Creek if I went in the spring. This campground caters to both tent campers and RV'rs. It has tent-only campsites and generator use is not allowed- (another attraction for me, as I am a tent camper.) About 2/3 of the tent-only campsites are located at the lower end of the campground and have varying degrees of vegetation, though only 3 or 4 sites at most offer any kind of real shade. Many of those tent sites are also spaced fairly well apart, compared to other sites. When I arrived late Friday evening, I found the campground lightly occupied overall but most of the lower loop tent sites were taken, so even though they were more spacious, the area was crowded. I like to get out of my car and walk around a campground before I select a site and and it became apparent that there were some noisy, boom box type people in the lower loop. True desert rats enjoy the quiet of the desert and are respectful of others when they have to share their environment. Obviously, these were pikers, so I moved on to the upper end of the campground, where there were a few quiet campers spread well apart. The upper loop has more of a parking lot effect, but with the few campers there spread out, it was quite nice. I would have enjoyed the area less if the campground were at max capacity. There was somewhat of a view of the valley floor, and proximity to the springs and mudhill formations was nice. The no-generator rule was violated by one party in a motorhome early both mornings while I was there, It was clearly one of the quieter 4 stroke generators, but still loud enough to wake me up. There is plenty of bathroom capacity and they were in fairly clean condition- probably more from light use than attentive cleaning. Most of the bathrooms have nice, large utility sink stations near them. I knew these would be there, so I left my bucket and and wash basins at home, saving a bit of space in my compact car. Depositing dish water or other wastewater on the ground is prohibited. The main attraction for me was that a very nice hike to Funeral Slot Canyon (aka Furnace Slot Canyon) originates from the campground. This mostly trail-less 8 mile hike is not in any printed guide books that I am aware of and is not for novices, but is a very worthy venture for experienced hikers.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

After much computer research as to which campsite to stay at, when we arrived, we went to see both the biggest one (Furnace Creek) and Texas Spring. It was late October, and Texas Spring didn't have as many shade trees, but it was a lot emptier. We found a decent site with a little bit of shade. We liked the location of the site and the campground. Not too far away from most of the things we wanted to see. It was close to the Furnace Springs resort too, which was really convenient for the daily replenishment of the ice for our food. It was a little unseasonably hot when we went, and so one afternoon we enjoyed the pool at the resort as well.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Texas Spring Campground? Share your experiences!