“Great place, shame about the food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort to your Saves list
Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Highway 190, PO Box 187, Death Valley National Park, CA 92328   |
Los Angeles, California
“Great place, shame about the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

There are only a few places to stay in Death Valley. We chose to stay at the Ranch which was the best option financially, geographically and recreationally for our family of five. It was a great place that allowed us to explore and experience Death Valley. The swimming pool was a carrot for the booking but we were too tired from hiking to make use of it. Talking of carrots .... the rating of an average score was because of the below average and over priced restaurants. My suggestion is to bring your own food as a refrigerator is provided but cooking would be a problem as there is no microwave. The Ranch was not alone in providing below par food. We also tried the Furnace Creek Inn which was very disappointing as we had to return a burger twice as it was hardly cooked and we needed a magnifying glass to find the salad hiding in the salad wrap! Stovepipe Wells Village food was no better with cold soup and coffee.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This review is for the Inn. First of all, it is important to understand that although this is a beautiful and unique place, the high cost of staying and dining here is due to its remote location in a national park. If you come here expecting the most modern luxuries and numerous staff to fawn over you, you'll be disappointed.

This was my second stay here, and it was as wonderful as the first. The setting is beautiful and almost otherworldly. Our room overlooked the oasis and was clean and comfortable. The inn is the perfect place from which to explore Death Valley. I hope to return.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Furnace Creek Inn is perfect for Doing Nothing, Doing Something or a bit of both.
Bring your edibles and bud to enhance your awareness of this majestic oasis in this vast desert. What I really enjoy about crashing here is the balcony overlooking the magical garden with dim lights to show you the way not... a pool to pretend in, yep, I seemed to be always one step ahead of that sea monster that would pop in and out if the pool without speaking.
Staying in this oasis in a prehistoric world conjures up images of strange sea creatures enjoying life as it is!
A nice bottle of vino in the evening (and the rest in the early morning), various munchies, and silence except the running water and occasional unidentifiable mystery sound from the sky...
Silence is the nature of my way... windowpane guided me to new soundscapes, and with my eyelids closed I toured the universe but with the edibles, I knew I was walking (like marshmallows) on a planet we call Earth. Faces in the Wind is proudly displayed everywhere.
What to do in Death Valley? Ride the winds... enjoy the melting rocks while creating rock people to help ward off all unpleasant sounds. Remember: silence, walking, dreaming with your eyes wide open, enjoying the cloud formations, feeling the desert vibe, swirling colors abound, conversations with my rock creations; sit for a while and enjoy the total happiness of being one with yourself!
So many fantastic colors makes me feel so good! Now I understand as silence blares in my head! At one point hiking, I was in Adventure Time land; way too much fun!
Spend your day tripping the canyons with the silence so profound you can listen to the walking insects. In other words, the profound silence interrupted by the thundering feet of an insect passing by.
If you have a high clearance vehicle, do Darwin Falls, Racetrack (if you see a wooden tiki mug from the Philippines hanging at TeaKettle junction, that was mine from the blazing past), Titus Canyon, and I could go on and on; if you do not have such a vehicle, no worries as you are surrounded by fantasy earth!
Ions of rocks surround you as your feet grind the ancient rocks into a fine sand.
Shhhhhhhhhhh I am melting into this rock becoming part of its formation; now I understand all the faces I have been seeing... Ooooh the colors are so draining.... Can you understand my imaginary pleasures?
The Furnace Creek Ranch is perfect for whatever gets you through the night.
Life is Good!

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This hotel has it all, history, location, service, and one of the best swimming pool views in the world ( hot spring fed too ).
If you want more activities than normal hotels can offer just head over to the ranch and you have everything from horse riding to a lovely museum - I will be back !!

Stayed January 2015
Cambridge, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

If one is looking for a clean, reasonable place to stay in Death Valley, this is it. Rooms are clean and comfortable, doors are thin (not soundproof), with outdoor sitting area. Food at restaurants in the compound is reasonable and good. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the apple pie at the 49r Cafe which was one of the best I have had -- a crispy old fashioned lard? Crisco? crust, apples not overcooked or over sweet. Not much else I can add to other reviews.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Bourbonnais, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Historic Lodges of the National Parks have made it to the top of my (& my wife's) Bucket List. We've never been disappointed. The Furnace Creek Inn was no exception. It's perfectly located right in the heart of Death Valley. We stayed for 3 nights while we hiked and covered almost the entire park site seeing the marvelous surroundings. The Inn, although a little pricey for the average traveler, was top notch and exactly as we had seen many time on our Great Lodges of the National Parks video. The accommodations were excellent took us back to a time when the rich & famous came to visit the Inn in the early 1900's. The staff was outstanding, the food great and the setting & location was perfect. We couldn't have been more pleased and would return in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: They all have great rooms but maybe try one overlooking the pool fed by a natural underground spring...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Bozeman, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Death Valley is a pretty stark place but the diversity of scenery at Furnace Creek is delightful. We stayed at the Ranch Resort and had a very nice room overlooking the golf course with palm trees and huge mountains to the west. Within walking distance we had the Furnace Creek visitor center where we enjoyed an excellent NPS evening program. Unfortunately, due to budget cuts to the NPS, they only had sufficient staff to offer evening programs Thursday through Sunday. We got to see one and it was extremely interesting and well-done. Also within walking distance of our room was a very pleasant surprise--a large swimming pool fed by warm 85 degree natural spring water. Even though the weather was only in the low to mid-70s the pool was fabulous for swimming laps. Not to mention the backdrop of mountains and palm trees. Also within walking distance were several restaurants and the very interesting Borax museum. A great location and nice rooms made for a great two day stay.

Room Tip: Rooms to the west have a nice view
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!