“Good enough considering the environment” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort to your Saves list
Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Highway 190, PO Box 187, Death Valley National Park, CA 92328   |
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good enough considering the environment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Room with 2 queen beds gave us enough space for a family of 4. Shower was Not good. Swimming pool was lovely and my boys enjoyed the basketball court.
Food was reasonable and though the set menu in the main restaurant was quite expensive they let us share it so we got 2 menus for 4 people with $ 6 extra for the use of salad bar and that made it quite good. The steaks were big enough for 2 by British standard.
There isn't much else in the area and perhaps a bit of competition wouldn't go amiss but the set up was much better than what I expected after reading some of the reviews.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

After leaving Yosemite, we drove to Death Valley for a three night stay. Two of those nights were at the Furnace Creek Inn, and one was spent camping. Because the camping night was in between the hotel nights, we asked if we could leave the luggage we didn't need in the hotel, to avoid it frying in the car. Edna was extremely helpful and had our luggage put in her office where she could lock it, and even had it arranged to be brought up to our room for the following day. The staff at both the Inn (fancier) and the Ranch (casual) were very nice and helpful. The Ranch and the Inn are about a mile apart, so we drove to the Ranch a couple of times for groceries from the general store, and food at the restaurants. The rooms we had at the Inn were nice, with a lot of the features original to the 1920's, when the hotel was built. We had a room that shared a long balcony porch, where we sat in the evening watching the sun set behind the desert mountains. The pool is great, and open late. It's big, and even during a busy tourist season, we were usually the only ones bathing. Over all, it's a great oasis in what is the hottest place on earth...

Room Tip: If your budget can swing it, ask for a king room, attached to the balcony, over looking the garden o...
Albany, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

I called from England to check on our upcoming reservation. A very rude woman answered and hung up on me when I asked for the front desk. I had her on speaker phone, my husband said maybe we were just disconnected. So I rang back another time, the woman said "I am the front desk and I have other guests to take care of now" and hung up!!! We were shocked to say the least. I have sent a message to the xanterra corporate office, but now am desperately looking for another place to stay as I cannot give business to this place! I've never experienced such rudeness from a business that wants my money!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

After a long days travelling and getting into Death Valley whilst it was pitch black, reception staff were helpful in checking us in. The welcome at this time was the pool that was open till late, and needed to cool down. Now for me a one night stay is more than sufficient. I used one of the restaurants for a take out and ordered a bowl of chilli, however didn't expect it to come in a plastic coffee cup. The rooms were we're fairly basic, but did have air condition which is well needed.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

My wife and I stayed here on our way from Las Vegas through to Yosemite. Given the location, you can't complain about the accommodation. The rooms were very clean and the air conditioning worked great. The location is very central to all the popular sights to drive to and the bar and restaurant at the end of the day is a great end to the day. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. I would use it as a stop of point for one night only if you're planning a trip as while it's an interesting place, it's not somewhere you want to stay for too long unless you're really into rocks and blistering heat.

Word of warning, if you need the toilet, wait until you get to your room back at the Ranch, as opening the door to one of those public toilets on the side of the road is like opening the door to Satan's den. I watched my wife's knees buckle as she cracked the door before turning away quickly. Being somewhat interested in what could cause such a reaction, I approached and was confronted with something I've never experienced before. In fact I think I heard a demonic voice willing me to enter, and a head rotating in the darkness, but I couldn't be sure as my eyes were watering too much. Just hold on, or find a bush that is taller than 6 inches..!!

Overall it's a really good place to stop off on your way through and given its location, you can't complain. If you're from a country which doesn't have extreme heat, make sure you drink plenty of water and wear a hat because this place is hot and you will lose fluids without knowing it. Beer doesn't replace fluids either..

Room Tip: All rooms are in a good location, away from the road and noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We, family of four, stayed for one night at the ranch. Staff were generally friendly, at check in and in the restaurant. Our rooms were ok, maybe a bit outdated, but large and clean. And the air condition was strong, maybe a bit loud, but keeps the room cool, also in the July heat.
The location of the hotel is excellent, in the middle of the Death Valley, with all of its sights nearby.
We enjoyed the pool, helped us to cool off in the heat of July.
My only complaint would be that the prices, especially in the restaurants and the shop are high - but you are in the middle of the desert and there are hardly any alternatives.
Tip: Look at the stars in the night, there is a beautiful dark sky

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

After a 7 hour drive from Yosemite, through Death Valley, Furnace Creek is a welcome oasis. I imagine that most visitors are over nighters on the way to sin city, therefore some niceties like a cold one on arrival would be very welcome. Unfortunately the bar doesn't open bar until 7 pm, however you are invited to drive down to the sister resort the Furnace Creek Ranch, less than a mile away, to quench your thirst but if we wanted to do that perhaps we would have booked there?
The Inn is a pleasant establishment but suffers from lack of investment. We were greeted by a lovely lady ( Edna?) with a quirky sense of humour, the room was comfortable although the plumbing desperately needs an overhaul and the air conditioning is likely to keep you awake. Dinner was restricted to an all you can eat affair with the "ranch" the only other alternative. I would like to give the Inn a better revue but they have you by the short and curlies and they know it!.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!