“old motel with an impressive sounding name” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Panamint Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Death Valley National Park
Panamint Springs Resort
You added Panamint Springs Resort to your Saves list
40440 Hwy 190, 32 Miles West of Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley National Park, CA 92328   |
Dagupan ,Philippines
“old motel with an impressive sounding name”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Don't let the name fool you as in reality its a rundown motel room and we were just wanting to leave it ASAP. The restaurant, staff are all warm and friendly and helpful though which sharply contrasted the motel facilities.

Room Tip: This place is good only for short stopover, food and drinks but stay somewhere else if visiting deat...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is a review of the campground at Panamint Springs. I have camped here twice, both times during spring break. Relative to the other campgrounds in Death Valley, I rate this one a close second.
Pluses: Hot shower (as long as you want!) to wash the dust off; availability (spring break is the busiest time and the campground doesn't fill up till later in the week); resembles a campground with separate spaces and most spots have at least a little shade (most of the Death Valley 'campgrounds' are no more than a gravel parking lot); great view of the Panamint valley and surrounding mountains; proximity to restaurant and mini mart across the street; and price was very reasonable.
Minuses: distance - it's about 30-70 miles to the main attractions in Death Valley, requiring a ride over 5,000 foot Towne pass; there is only one toilet in the men's room; and the wifi is pretty much non-existent, I was able to use it sporadically between 7 and 9 in the morning (but hey you are 50 miles from civilization!). With that said, there are some workarounds. There are some nice clean restrooms in the mini mart across the street, if you can't wait. I was able to get AT&T 4G service for a short period of time going up the grade to Towne Pass, enough time to call the wife and send a couple emails out. I suspect the signal was coming from the south end of the Panamint Valley so the road to the south may have coverage too. As far as distance, there is a lot of stuff close by in the Panamint valley if you are a decent hiker: Darwin Falls is a 15 minute drive to the trailhead from Panamint Springs and is a short hike to a series of cascading waterfalls along a scenic canyon, a nice contrast to the dry desert; Surprise canyon on the east side is a longer hike along a creek within a scenic canyon, without the falls but with an abandoned mining town at the end (4 wheel drive road to get to the trailhead but I was able to get there in the family minivan); and there are some abandoned mines to explore on BLM land on the west side of the Panamint valley, talk to the mini mart clerks for directions.

As mentioned above, for Death Valley I rate this a close second only to the Furnace Creek Campground, mainly due to the better location at Furnace Creek. However a spot at that campground is difficult to get without advance reservations. Otherwise I recommend staying at Panamint Springs.

Room Tip: Outside sites on the northeast have the best view. Inside sites to the southwest have the most shad...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Tucson
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I got in just before dark and checked into an RV site overnight. Lights were out in the bathroom/shower bldg. with no switch in sight so walked over to the gas station where we checked in and they got the maintenance person to get them on. Very disappointing as I was looking forward to a nice hot shower after a long days ride but found the bathroom and showers were quite filthy- wet floor around toilets, tissue, paper towels and garbage on the floors, the overhead light fixture was laden with dead bugs, sinks, showers and floors dirty so I had to forego the shower. Also the door to the bathrooms weren't very secure either. There were overflowing trashcans and misc. junk from the approach behind the bldg. that appeared to have been forgotten. I recall the clerk who was pleasant remarking how they didn't charge for the showers....thank God for that!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Panamint springs was our first night on our trip back home to the midwest after heading out Santa Monica. After making it through the Sequoia National Forest and Monument, we got in very late. I called them and informed them I would be late, and as I got to panamint springs the gas station was closing up and as I pulled in the attendant was able stay open and get me checked in. The room was not anything to celebrate about, but just having a three bedroom room to comfortable accommodate me and my family was outstanding. We did have a cooler with plenty of ice, so one night (less than a 15 hour stay) was nice, not sure about multiple nights there. I would say that if my wife and I make a trip back out west I would stay another night or two.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Mateo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Panamint Springs (Resort) is a old school road house... No more, no less... You can find similar spots in the Australian outback... It is a gas station (hint, the gas is not cheap), a store...not well stocked, but well enough stocked... a bar, with food, surprisingly good food... bar food... There are some rooms... there is a campground across the road... (I was camping)

It sits on an alluvial fan... the desert below... The location is spectacular. Camping is inexpensive, and they separate those of us with tents from those with RV's and generators... there is Wifi, but it is painfully slow (what did you expect, you are in the desert)

I strongly recommend the place... but I like to camp in the desert... I came to Death Valley for the desert... my fellow campers came for the desert. We found the desert and a good place to camp, with ice, and food, and drinks...

Don't come here expecting more, but come here for what it is...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Ghent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the cottage which had a refridgerator but no microwave so we had to walk to the gasstation to heat the bottel for out toddler, but that was the only inconvenience. The cottage was simpel but clean and comfortable. Watching the sun go down and the moon rise in this quiet corner of the np really was special for us, loved staying here. The restaurant is also nice. There is no wifi but hey, we didn't really expect it anyway.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chardon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed overnight on March 2nd in the Cottage. The cottage is under a tree and is not physically connected to the hotel rooms. It was basic but very comfortable, clean and quiet. It also had a small refrigerator (requirement for medication) and TV so we had everything we needed. We drove in from LAX and this was a great location to rest up and be ready to start hiking Death Valley the next day without doing a lot of driving. Across the street is the campground which has some nice short nature trails in the front near the road. We would not hesitate to stay in the cottage again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Panamint Springs Resort? Share your experiences!