“great place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Panamint Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Death Valley National Park
Panamint Springs Resort
40440 Hwy 190, 32 Miles West of Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley National Park, CA 92328   |
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed here for one night in September 2011 and loved it. The room was clean with a lovely 4 poster bed. We loved the huge selection of beers and it was amazing relaxing on the bar terrace with a beer to watch the sunset. The bar staff were lovely. The pizza was great. I've given this 5 stars, as for the price I thought it was a great budget place to stay, and I have quite high standards - other stays on our road trip included MacArthur place at Sonoma, the Awahnee and four seasons vegas. I would look forward to staying again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Alta, Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

We stayed at the water only sites of the RV park as the hookups were full. the "park" is a rock/gravel parking area and nothing special. there are a few small mesquite bushes next to each site (and a few larger trees in the full hookup area) The views of the Panamint Range are great at sunset. I was a bit disappointed we payed $30 for a water only site, but we also had 3 dogs which they hit us at $5 a pop, per dog. Kinda weak...

The biggest bummer about this place was the gas station lights across the street blasting all night and the (what I assume) is the facility generator going 24/7 over that way, too. It unfortunately takes away from the peaceful setting and star gazing a little. Granted, I'm pretty sensitive to noise, but I could even hear the generator IN the trailer.. so it must have been loud for other campers and motel guests as they were closer to it.

The bathrooms were OK... I didn't shower, but they seemed about avg looking.

The bar was great... 184 beers to choose from, including about 10 on tap. One of the best selections you'll find anywhere! The restaurant had little atmosphere, so we chose to eat in the bar. The bar was a little too dark, but we loved the bar counter.. a really cool twisted wood varnish with branches underneath.

The food: we had some chili poppers (jalapeno) and they were very good.. above avg..

dinner salads were also very good.

I had the blue cheese/bacon burger (excellent) and the wife had the3 veggie pissa (excellent).

I'm not going to dwell too much on the prices because this place is really isolated... but I do have to say $18 for a burger/salad and $21 for a small pizza is pushing it, even for it's isolation. The gas station is also a rip at $5.48 a gallon... heck, we could have filled up in Furnace creek, which is even more isolated for under $5 gallon. However, I'm not too upset as the food was very good and we needed gas.

Service was pretty good. The bartender was nice.. and the camp host from the RV park was nice and informative, and was in the bar area talking to people giving tips on the area.

anyway, all that aside... I'd have to say it was a cool place in a cool setting. Probably won't go back, but if in the area, will stop by for a beer and burger. :)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Oceanside, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

Overall our stay was nice - friendly people, nice RV park, but the shower room and rest room was closed three of the four nights we stayed there and had to go use the bathroom in the resturaunt across the street. Not a big deal since we showered in the trailer but I would expect the facilities to be functional in a park I'm paying to stay at. Will probably try StovePipe Wells or the Furnace Creek ranch RV parks next trip, especially since you have to drive over Towne pass to get into DV from Panamint Springs.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Death Valley National Park hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011 via mobile

Chances are the campground is going to be empty even though they will tell you on the phone that it will probably be full and reservations are highly suggested. DON'T give them your CC number! Go there and look the place over first. The water smells, there is little pressure and the power is low voltage which might damage your RV.
The sites are long but the connections are not in the middle and the plug was broken on my site. If you get there and decide you like it, then give them your cc as they will not let you out of a reservation.

• Stayed October 2011
Carson City, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed at Panamint Springs RV park the last week of October 2011. We have a 25 foot fith wheel. We come to Death Valley a couple of times a year and have stayed in several places inside the park. We really enjoyed this RV Park. Being out side of the park is nice because we can use our quads and do a lot of off roading! The gas is expensive but it is every where in the park.

The people that worked in the store and resturant were very nice. We ate at the resturant and the food was just okay. Because of the location a bit pricey but the porch is a great place to have a beer and watch the sun go down.

The Wifi worked with a few outages. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Corona, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

I stayed one night in a small room with one bed. The room was clean, bed comfortable, but the shower had a...hmm...dripping water. Unusable. In the middle of the night, the guy next door, woke me up; he was snoring so loud I could not get back to sleep. I guess the walls are so thin you can hear every noise coming out of every room.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

First of all: I am not particularly picky, and I wouldn't have minded this hotel except for the terrible smell in room 8.

I can't even describe what it smelled like - something between animal and wet dog and decomposing road kill. Once I fell asleep I was oblivious to it, and I guess after a while you don't smell it anymore, but ugh, when you leave the room to go outside and then come back in - yuck! That really turned me off. Comparing notes with other travelers, this wasn't the case in other rooms. Just make sure, if you're booking shortly after I post this review, that you're not getting room 8, or check with the owners that they have managed to get rid of the smell.

I stayed here in mid November, and if you're going to stay in Death Valley in a room, then you don't have many options. This is a convenient one, and not as expensive as the one right smack in the centre of Death Valley (Furnace Creek). I didn't stay at Furnace Creek, but went to the bar and restaurant - avoid that one, it was the slowest and most bland experience. The restaurant at Panamint Springs Resort (this one that I'm writing about) was so much better. But anyway, let's get back to the review of the hotel. The place itself is rustic, and the setting is scenic. Just be aware of a few facts to see if this is the right place for you.

1. There is no TV, which for me is perfectly fine.

2. There is actually a WIFI connection, but it's spotty since it uses a satellite link that goes up and down. Don't expect to do any Skype on it (and in fact the owners ask you not to do that). For casual email that's OK... just don't attach large files to your mails and hold off sending your prized pictures of Zabriskie Point and Devil's Golf course :-) HOWEVER given the fact that you are otherwise completely incomunicado in Death Valley (there is no phone coverage) - the WIFI is a godsend.

3. You might be laughing when you read this, but in the winter time, it actually gets really cold at night here. Only the next morning when poking around I discovered that there is actually an oil heater in the wardrobe that I could have taken out and switched on. Oh well. Just remember that there is one!

4. What you will really appreciate in the winter - warm water! The bathroom is impeccable.

5. There is a generator nearby that makes quite a bit of noise. During the night it gets much quitere - the generator still runs, but much at much less power (it seems). I had no problems getting to sleep - but if you are a very light sleeper, keep this in mind.

6. Food: the restaurant is OK, and the beer selection - as others have indicated - is out of this world. ;-) Breakfast isn't included in the lodging price, but it's $10 for the buffet which is average.

7. You'll need to pick up and the keys from the petrol station next door.

I would have given the place 3 or 4 stars if not for the smell.

Room Tip: Avoid room 8, it smells terrible! Depending on when you read this, it might be resolved already...