My wife and I stayed here in June 2013 as part of our Honeymoon. I know, nothing says romance quite like roasting to death in Death Valley! What can I say, I am the last of the true romantics!
It should be pointed out that the motel isn't at Stovepipe Wells - it IS Stovepipe Wells!
Other than the general store/gas station across the road, there's nothing else here. If you arrive late and have missed the restaurant & general store's closing, you've had it!
We had booked directly with the motel and the check in went smoothly enough, although there was a bit of a queue. The staff were pleasant enough.
A word of warning when you get to your room - if the door is bathed in sunlight, be wary of the door handle: it will be red hot.
Opened the door to the room and it became immediately apparent that the room hadn't been service by housekeeping. The dirty bed linens were pilled up in the middle of the bed. There was also a terrible smell coming from the bathroom.
My wife went back to reception to report the problem with the bed whilst I brought our bags in from the car. I also investigated the smell in the bathroom. It stemmed from the fact that the toilet was blocked - completely.
I joined my wife in reception and had to wait approximately 15 minutes to be served again (it was busy in there and a group of French tourists were having problems with their credit cards.) We were eventually moved to a different room, which was much better.
The food in the restaurant was, we felt, expensive and of not particularly good quality. The breakfast buffet was terrible. It was clear that the food had been standing there for quite some time and had congealed.
To be fair, it wasn't all bad - their pool was excellent. It made a nice, refreshing way to relax and was open until midnight. In the main, the staff were very friendly and chatty. It is just a shame that so little care seems to be taken with the food and cleanliness.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stovepipe Wells Village hotels, located right in Death Valley National Park is the ultimate destination for adventure travelers. Authentically western, rustic yet comfortable, Stovepipe Wells Village, with its unique hotel, Death Valley restaurant and Western saloon, has been at the end of the trail for vacationers since 1926. After hiking around the badlands, sand dunes and canyons, Stovepipe Wells hotels in Death Valley is more than a welcome sight with our friendly, knowledgeable staff, great food and cold drinks. It's a place where history is made and legends born. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelsClick so you can book your Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel Death Valley National Park
- Stovepipe Wells Village Resort