“Simple clean and updated” 4 of 5 stars

You added Stovepipe Wells Village to your Saves list
Stovepipe Wells Village
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   Highway 190, Death Valley National Park, CA 92328   |
Hotel packages
“Simple clean and updated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was pretty impressed with Stovepipe. Often when there aren't many choices in a destination, places can get sloppy. I didn't find that here. The basic room I got was small but clearly updated and clean. It was no nonsense but definitely did not feel worn or dingy in any way, it was perfect for me. No tv or closet but for a one night stay it did what I needed it to. they had some cool decor also with great death valley photographs and pages from old publications.

The restaurant is decent and although service was a little slow, I went on a shoulder season on a Monday and they were clearly slammed, probably not expecting the big crowd that night. Service was still polite, they got me what I needed, and the food was decent.

The Badwater Saloon has a pretty impressive beer selection for such an outpost. The bartender was friendly, helpful, and did a great job. They also seemed to have a lot of tequilas.

There are also gift shops and helpful folks at the front desk.

If you're looking for a clean crash pad to get some food and clean up after a day of hiking around in the heat, I think you'll like this spot. I was Travelling alone and had a very full day rolling in there, so I found it to be a prefect spot before taking off early the next morning.

Also a travel note... They said it would be loud at night because a sand storm was raging, however I usually sleep with ear plugs so it didn't bother me a bit.

Room Tip: They have an explicit website which explains the types of rooms and who they are suited for. I foun...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

686 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Mannheim, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We did not have that many choices for lodging in Death Valley NP and as we did not want to camp and Furnace Creek was too expensive for us, we decided to stay at Stovepipe Wells Village. You get a simple room (bed, table, bathroom) in a motel-style complex with a shop, a restaurant, a bar and a pool. The rooms seem to be pretty old and they do not do much to really keep it up-to-date. Besides that it is not very clean either. For the money we paid, you would normally expect more, but as you are in the middle of nowhere you have to take what you can get. Very nice for us was the terrace you have in front of each room (a table and some chairs). You can sit there in the evening, enjoy the evening sun and see the great sunset in the desert.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Basic motel with friendly staff. You're paying for the location. Better value than the ranch at Furnace Creek. The room was clean, etc. We liked the timer in the shower to encourage you to take shorter showers! The restaurant was ok: food was fine, service variable.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Campinas, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed there 2 nights, end of march/begining of april.
The thing to know is that the rooms are pretty simple. But I found our comfortable, clean and quiet at night. Well, after all you're in the desert!
The location is fine to discover the Vallley and all the interesting viewpoints.
The pool is really a good ideia to refresh after a hot day! So is the bar, well, the saloon (very funny for a stranger like me).
At night the restaurant serves one of the best burger I've ever had. And for dessert, the hot cookies with a vanilla ice-cream was a pure delight. Big breakfast to start well the day
I liked it. Unpretencious, nice service, good location. Would recomend it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Death valley isn't cheap to sleep in unless you stay here or have an RV you can hook up as furnace Creek is pricey and panamint springs is miles away from most of the attractions. Its a basic motel but clean and all the staff were friendly helpful and attentive. Room was basic and a little dated but serves its purpose as a place to crash after a hot day exploring death valley. Pool looks nice but was late when we arrived. Bar was quiet but served cider which is nearly impossible to find outside of an irish bar in nevada and callifornia so gets a gold star for that alone. Dinner was amazing and well priced-one of our cheapest but tastiest meals of road trip.lots of film memorabilia on restaurant walls from films filmed in DV. Breakfast average but lots of choice. Shop is well stocked and gives motel guests a free bag of ice and has cheaper gas than furnace Creek. All in all we really liked our stay here.

• Stayed April 2013
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The last time I visited Death Valley I stayed at the Furnace Creek Inn. Although the hotel was nicer than the Stovepipe Hotel, I opted to stay at the latter because of its close proximity to the Mesquite Dunes. I did not regret my choice.

The hotel is clean, has a fridge, coffee maker and TV. I also really enjoyed the quality and scent of the shampoo, and lotion provided by the hotel. They have dispensers for the shampoo and lotion rather than small bottles usually given at hotels, which I really liked. The gift shop had nice souvenirs, and the worker (Karen) was extremely friendly and helpful.

The service at the restaurant was good, a huge improvement from the last time I ate there. I ordered a salad and it was very watery, with very few beans. I didn't enjoy it. My friend ordered a veggie burger, which she said she really enjoyed. Perhaps I will try that next time. The margaritas were weak and cost $8, which I thought was really outrageous.

The pool was decent, and clean. There was a worker checking the water while I was there.

I must say that what really sets this place apart from the other hotels is the location. Watching the dunes at sunset is an absolute MUST. They are so close to the hotel that you can go at sunset and sunrise without having to drive more than 4 minutes. I also went stargazing in the parking lot of of the Mesquite Dunes area.

If you are looking for a great location to be in, stay here. I paid $146.00 for my double room bed (20% spring special).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Geyserville, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed here years ago, and the place does seem a bit improved; fresh, nice linens, better bathroom; now boasts a nice bar with great draft beer selection for after that hike on the dunes. Speaking of which, although the Furnace Creek places are nicer, this is the must stay for photographers, needing to be out on the dunes at sunrise/sunset.
That said, it's overpriced, and staying here is all about the beautiful Death Valley National Park; the motel is just average.

Room Tip: Get a standard or basic room if you don't need TV; much quieter (neighbors)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Stovepipe Wells Village? Share your experiences!