“Good Food, Poor Service, Reservation Problem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crater Lake Lodge Dining Room

Crater Lake Lodge Dining Room
Crater Lake Lodge, Crater Lake National Park, Crater Lake National Park, OR 97503
541-594-2255 x 3217
Website
Improve this listing
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
San Francisco, California
“Good Food, Poor Service, Reservation Problem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

We stayed at Crater Lake Lodge for two nights, and had two dinners and two breakfasts there. Portions are huge -- split one dish, even at breakfast, if you can agree on your choices, which we couldn't. Prices are high, but we knew that ahead of time. Service at every meal was very, very slow, sometimes quite competent, other times not.. Our biggest problem occurred on our first night there. We had made dinner reservations in May for the two nights of our stay, Aug. 11 and 12. After a day of driving, we were tired and really looking forward to a nice relaxing dinner in the Dining Room. But when we arrived at the appointed time, our resevation was not there, though it was recorded for the second night. The dining room was full for the entire evening, and the closest restaurant, at Annie Creek, was 7 miles away. The hostess told us that there had been several other parties whose reservations were also not there that evening. We spoke to the manager, who was apologetic, but all he could do was suggest we eat in the lounge area adjoining the restaurant, where they serve soup, salads, appetizers and desserts. We understood him to say that the meal would be comped because of their error. We put together a decent meal, though it was not at all the meal that we would have liked to have. Everything we had was very tasty, though, but the service was terribly slow. At the end of the dinner, we were told that only our two appetizers were comped, and we paid for our two soups, one salad, and two desserts. We were very disappointed by the entire experience, but once they had lost our reservation, there was really no way that they could make it up to us.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Bothell, Washington
“Don't miss this restaurant when visiting Crater Lake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

Contrary to what you might think, this is a great restaurant. If that sounds like a "warning" it's only because sometimes the "main attraction" restaurants aren't that great and are only trying to get people to eat there because of the 'name'. This isn't the case here. Reservations are required for dinner, but not for lunch. Lunch is served until 2pm daily and the wait was barely 10 minutes. The prices are a little more than you'd pay in a regular restaurant ($10.99 for an omelet) but the portions are huge. Service is great and the dining room is beautiful. Some of the tables have a view, however the room is a little cramped. Definitely worth a visit. In between lunch and dinner, they serve soup and salad only, so you won't be left out if you aren't able to make it until mid afternoon.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Ohio
“Try The Crater Lake Lodge Dining Room for Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

After seeing the prices, we decided to eat lunch at the dining room instead of dinner. The Crater Lake Lodge Dining Room opens up for lunch around 11am and it's "first come, first serve" as the hostess stated. You need reservations for dinner, which starts around 5pm.

The man who sat us (by the window after we asked) was also our waiter. I chose the veggie focaccia and my husband chose the spicy chicken sandwich. While we were planning to eat somewhere else the next day, the food was so good here, we decided to come back. I had the veggie pasta with the mushrooms on the side and my husband first picked the burger, but then changed his mind and had the chicken sandwich again (and my mushrooms).

This is crazy, but I also have to mention the Asian slaw. It tasted good! Most of the time slaw as a side is a throw away item and bland. You usually have to add salt or a sauce or something to have it taste anything other than bland. But here it was good.

One of the afternoons, we ordered dessert on the veranda and just stared out at Crater Lake. Their molten is very good and very rich. It made me wish I ordered milk with it.

The only complaint I had was (both days) I emptied my soda and by the time they asked if I wanted a refill and returned the filled glass to me, I was done with my meal.

Washington, DC
“Fantastic views of Crater Lake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

We stopped in aroun 11am, so DR was nearly empty. Fantastic views of Crater Lake from DR and the adjacent terrace. Breakfast was very good, service fast and friendly. Our server gave us directions for the most scenic drive to the coast.

Reservations taken for dinner service only.

New Jersey
“Crater Lake Lodge Restaurant -- Slow Service, Worse Food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

We recently visited Crater Lake. While we were enthralled with the view, hiking trails and beautiful lodge, we were extremely disappointed, with the restaurant at Crater Lake Lodge. For an extremely expensive restaurant -- the food was in some cases adequate (Filet Mignon, Pork Tenderloin) in others, terrible. For $34.00 I was served room temperature Seafood Alfredo, which advertised to include: Lobster, fish, shrimp and scallops -- contained only small amounts of flavorless shrimp and scallops in a thick, tasteless sauce.

Although the waiter returned with a new plate -- it was warmer but no better. The waiter did not ask anyone in our party how they would like their steak done. So we had one choice-- well!!

Before we tasted this food -- we had to wait 45 minutes for a 7:00 p.m. dinner reservations which I had made the first day the lodge opened in May.

Likewise the next morning we were served room temperature Oatmeal (which again had to be reheated).

Two days before we had stayed at Wawona Lodge in Yosemite where the food and service were a real value. They did not (as I believe is the case at Crater Lake) take advantage of having a captive audience.

I highly recommend Crater Lake Lodge -- but (if possible) eat elsewhere!

I