“CarlsBAD is GOOD!” 5 of 5 stars

Ga
10 attraction reviews
“CarlsBAD is GOOD!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We booked the two tours ahead online- Lower Caves and the Kings Palace and then did the Great Room on our own. The price is right- don't be afraid to spend a small amount of money (less than a movie ticket) on the guided tours. Debbie D was our Lower Cave expert guide- She was fabulous and so funny and fun. Being in my mid-50's and not terribly athletic, I was a bit nervous, at first. This was a great trip- I didn't have any problems at all. Our guide was a great teacher and took the time to demonstrate and talk us through every step. I will never forget this trip- The Carlsbad Caverns are tremendous in all ways. Take your children- take your friends- take yourself!!! Just go! The gift shop and cafe offer a lot and everyone there was helpful and kind and I could tell they actually loved their jobs. Btw, we brought gloves and didn't need them- the park provides them, but do bring 3, yes, three AA batteries. Wear a long sleeve T-shirt and long pants, socks and hiking shoes or sneakers with good tread.

Dickinson, Texas
7 attraction reviews
“The Wonders of Nature”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Originally we intended to spend one day at the caverns. We took the self-guided tour beginning with the elevator decent of 750' and then maneuvered through the mile and a quarter walk through the Big Room. The elevator is a life savor for those who cannot make the long walk from the natural entrance.

The first day I took picture after picture as we strolled through the 56 degree cavern. With every turn you are faced with a different formation, color, size, and texture. The variety was unlimited. The handrails are very sturdy and you are not confronted with steps. Very different from the caverns I remember in other places about 30 years ago with wet slick steps, etc.

After we finished that tour we went back upstairs to get a snack before the bat ascent. The food was good for an attraction like this.

We decided to return the next day and actually enjoyed the walk better because I did not have my camera plastered to my face. It was so beautiful. If we are ever back in the area I would love to return again.

We also did not have to pay since we had a Seniors Pass to the National Parks. Worth the $10 we paid for it and it lasts a life time.

Meridian, Idaho
19 attraction reviews
“The caverns are BIG, but they are caverns are DRY.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

When going into caverns you are hit with the power and grandeur of mother nature. Unfortunately, when this park was developed they did not take into account the affect of putting a paved parking lot over the main portion of cave. This means that the cave has no ground water dripping down on the formations, keeping the wet and keeping them growing. The sheer size and variation is worth a visit, but do not expect to see a living cave. My first trip was in the 1950's, where we had a ranger guide, dirt/gravel paths and a live cave. Our last trip we had headphones and a recorded narration, paved paths and a dry cave. For a live cave, check out Kartchner Caverns in Benson, Arizona.

Visited September 2013
New London, Mn
8 attraction reviews
“Great stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Stop here on my trip from Colorado to Texas.
The Cavern went down 750 feet. It took about an hour to reach the bottom. The elevator was great to get back to the top.
I reccomend this to anyone that isn't afraid of Caves etc..
It didn't feel enclosed here lots of room.

11 attraction reviews
“Awesome! A must see!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Our family thoroughly enjoyed the caverns. An inexpensive family adventure. We took the natural entrance which was a good walk with steep inclines. (Self guided tour) Inside, the natural wonders are beautiful. We had an enjoyable & tasty meal at the restaurant.