“Sweet and Free!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bat Flight Program im Carlsbad Cavern National Park

Bat Flight Program im Carlsbad Cavern National Park
3225 National Parks Highway, Carlsbad Caverns National, Carlsbad Caverns National Park, NM 88220
+1 (0) 575 785 3012
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Caverns/ Caves, Outdoors
Valrico, Florida
150 attraction reviews
“Sweet and Free!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We lucked out on this as we had not originally planned to do the Bat Flight. As it turned out the population was moderately high, ~ 50,000 and so after listening to a nice presentation by a Park Ranger on the history of the program as well as the bats we were presented with a nice view of the bats exiting the cave. It would have been nicer with a little more evening sunlight but it was nice to see them come swirling out and over the rim. Definitely watch the weather and time of night as both impact visibility and even whether the bats exit in quantities that can be detected. The return can be seen for free as well if you can manage a 0500 rise/drive to the visitor center :-) It was a wonderful experience.

Visited June 2014

• Turkish first
San Francisco, California
42 attraction reviews
“A must see if you are at this park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

745 pm starts the ranger talk. The ranger will talk until the bats begin to come out. The ranger goes over rules and laws. Yes laws, no cell phones or any thing like that at all at this event. It is some federal law to interfere with the bats flying out of the cave by photographing or videotaping them. The bats keep coming out of the cave. Quite interesting really. Everyone is out of the cave by 7pm so don't worry about being overtaken by bats in the cave. However the seating is quite close to the cave entrance and some bats really came close to me. I watched the bats come out till it got dark and I couldn't see if bats were still coming out, about an hour. The bats started coming out at 8pm. Plan your trip bring a picnic basket while you wait, a hat and water. Thousands if not millions of bats fly over you so I would suggest a hat.

Visited June 2014
Meriden, Kansas
6 attraction reviews
“Not what I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

When we were told of the bat flight at dusk we expected a dark cloud of bats emerging from the cave and filling the sky's. What we saw was, well I'm not sure. As we set there awaiting the bats to leave for their evening flight to feed on the insects that had been feeding on us that day the area became very quiet. They said noise might disorientate the bats. I saw someone pointing so my eyes quickly followed. I saw a half dozen bats fluttering about. Before long a another few dozen appeared. They came out in small groups and once one flew threw the crowd of people. We set there for 2 - 3 hours and might have saw a couple hundred bats at most. Next came the trek back to the parking lot. Very steep up hill grade with no place to set and rest and no hand rails to help us old people back up. Would I go again, yes, would I recommend it, yes. I was just expecting more than I got. The scenery was beautiful and the drive was pleasant. Check the reviews on the hotels before staying at any. Some come with very poor ratings. All are extremely over priced for what you get. Try the pasta at the historic hotel downtown. They make their own Alfredo sauce and it is the best I've ever had.

Visited July 2013
Granbury, Texas
7 attraction reviews
“Great to see, if the bats come out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I was so glad that when my family and I went to see the bats, many came out. Apparently, we were lucky as it was pretty chilly and very windy that day. I loved the atmosphere. It's not easy with younger children that, as you are supposed to be very quiet for the bats' well being, and probably yours. We showed up at the last minute, while the tour guy was telling all and answering questions. It is wheelchair friendly, though the person may have to sit at the very top in their chair if it is crowded. Amazing experience, and a must see!

Visited April 2014
Bloomfield Township, Michigan
91 attraction reviews
“Not for Everybody”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Staff did an amazing job. It is just to scary for me. For me personally, It is meaningless. It doesn't do anything for me. I am just speaking from my stand point of view. People are different. I would much rather enjoy the caverens. Carlsbad Caverns without a doubt are the most spectacular caverns. It was a truly amazing experience, that I will never forget. But not the bets.