“Another Great Vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Acadia National Park

Sponsored by:
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Newtown, PA
443 helpful votes
“Another Great Vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2006

Out second trip to Acadia in the past 5 years. I definitely recommend taking the mail boat from Stonington to Isle au Haut. Just an beautiful, remote island. Enjoy the phots! These are from late August.

Miami, FL
55 helpful votes
“A bit of everything.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2006

We visited Acadia National Park during July 2006. We did this with two kids, 10 and 6 (boy and girl). It was a fantastic experience. I suggest you start at the visitor center, and talk to a ranger, tell him a bit about your abilities, and limitations, and let them suggests hikes accordingly. Do start your visit with a drive through Park Loop Road. This is a great way to see all the major stops along the park. If you stop, park, and so some of the trails along the way, it could take you all day. But what a day it will be!!!
Do stop at Thunder Hole, and see the amazing views, water crashing against the rocks. Also stop at Sandy Beach, great to see the topography around the beach. As a Floridian I found the water too cold to swim in, but definetely worth the look, and there is a nice trail from there also. You just can't leave the park without stopping at Jordan's Pond for Popovers in the gorgeous outside restaurant. The vanilla ice cream, with a popover and chocolate sauce is to die for!!! You can do a five mile walk around the pond after if you want to burn the calories!! It was amazing!
If you have a car get out of town and drive to Schoodic Point, amazing views and a nice drive. Also do a carriage ride and see the park in a way only pedestrians, or cyclists can, as there are no cars allowed on the carriage roads. Overall it was an amazing experience, and would return again and again.

5 helpful votes
“have to love the fog”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2006

This would be the trip I want to take since I returned to NJ in 1999. Well six years later it happened I packed up the motorcycle and I was off. This would be a week long ride where I would ride the back roads to the coast of Maine and spend a few nights at Acadia National Park. Well I made the coast but still had a days ride till Acadia so the spot I tryed to camp that night didn't soot me so talking with that National Park Ranger I told her Where I was heading and my plans to camp at Acadia National Park. She informed me that the camping in the main park would be tough without a reservation, but if I didn't mind to go to the smaller island and at the eastern tip of that island is a park campground that would soot me and my expectations of the Park. As it turned out it was just great. It was a short bike ride to the main park and well I didn't mind riding through the winding roads of Acadia Naitonal Park.
I fell asleep each night to the sounds of the Fog horn at the point.
The trip was well worth the wait.

Whitehall, Pa
19 helpful votes
“Love it,”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2005

I went to Bar Harbor and Acadia 2 years ago only for a day and night, It was beautiful but there was not enough time to see all the things. So, this September we went again this time we camped for 4 nights and stayed at the Harborside Marina the day it rained. We saw so much more because we had the time, we went on a sunset cruise, biked the carriage roads, hiked around sand beach, we ate at Jordans (known for their bluberry pancakes) and of course we had our lobster at THE PIER ( amazing) its better to eat the lobster bake on the outside upstairs so you get the smell of the ocean. Shopping in Bar Harbor was fine, it is a cute little main street. Ill go back every year. Being from Maine and not living there anymore Bar HArbor and Acadia definately worked for me. I had the ocean,camping, outdoors all trip. I recommend you go at least once. Vacation what you make of it. Ask the locals where to go. I recommend more than a day probably 3minimum if you plan on doing the park and bar harbor. The best time to go is the middle of september if you dont mind it little cooler.
lan on doing the park and bar harbor

WA State
69 helpful votes
“Was OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2005

Only spent the day there, so with that in mind I thought the park was so-so. The woods were lovely, dark and deep, but I only saw 3 deer in the morning and a couple of hawks. The tidepools were almost devoid of life. The northern woods would be more to my taste. The trails seem well marked. Nice view from Mt. Kahtadin even with its relatively low elevation. Frankly, after seeing Mt. Rainier or the rain forest or the coast in the Pacific northwest I was disappointed. I think it's wonderful that this place is set aside, and as with most national parks it sees WAY too much traffic. Personally, I wouldn't make it a destination in itself...would go out west for something of that nature or head to northern Maine for camping.

Been to Acadia National Park? Share your experiences!