“value for money” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kypseli
Leicester, United Kingdom
“value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Having just come back from this hotel I would recomend this to anyone my husband and I are very fussy about where we stay, The hotel was spotless comfortable and the food was very good for the price we paid we got a last minute deal the staff were so friendly and helpful nothing was to much trouble after reading some of the comments about this hotel before going I was a little worried let me assure you it was well the money and I would certainley go again

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

I have just returned from Zante with my boyfriend. We stayed in the Tsamis Hotel and Spa and really enjoyed our stay. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is really nice and modern. The hotel is right next to the sea. The pool area is lovely especially the floor with the affinity pool. The rooms are nice, basic and clean but from reading previous reviews before we went we were a little concerned, but I think people must have really high expectations or they just like complaining! The location is perfect as it's not right in the centre of the busy Tsilivi. Basically we were in the perfect spot to be able to travel up the island to the Blue Caves and Shipwreck Bay and down the Island to Turtle Island and Zakynthos town. We stayed Half Board but were able to swap dinner for lunch which was great as my boyfriend and I love to eat out. We were highly recommended by the receptionist to eat at the Greek Taverna just round the corner on the beach. I think it's called 'Roules', but don't quote me on that. We were so happy we went as it's owned by a lovely Greek family, where one of the family members sings with his guitar. The food was gorgeous! Very fresh and very Greek! I highly recommend eating there if you stay at the Tsamis Hotel. Overall we had a lovely stay and enjoyed our time there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

The Tsamis is OK, dont get me wrong, staff are very helpful and friendly and try to do everything to make your stay a good experience, but it cant take away from the fact that the hotel is just not 4 star.
It is basicaly an all inclusive provider and this means that the food is provided for the lowest possible cost and it shows. The meals are carvery style and limited in choice. The fish course is always the same and poor quality, the meat is also poor quality because the Greeks dont know know how to carve a carcass like the UK butchers, you therefore get loads of fat and grissle running through the meat.
Desert is always a sponge pudding with a custard type serving.
Best meal is breakfast, so my advice would be to go B&B and eat out at the many taverns which are always excellent value and quality.
The location is out of town, nothing wrong with that as long as you are aware when you book, that you will need a car or scooter to get anywhere as the buses are unreliable.
The rooms are basic greece, old hand held shower fittings. Have there people never heard of shower fixings to hold the sprayhead on the wall.
The hotel is located on a spilt level, the lower level nearest the sea has several cheap loungers sitting on a dirt base. The next level up is on grass, and then a very nice adult deck and infinity pool that they really should try to keep the kids out of. The main deck has the main pool and kiddies pool and is alongisde the bar where they will insist on playing music all day and evening. Why do they think we need music round the pool, we go on holiday to get some peace and quiet, not have to listen rave music all day. I asked if they could turn it off, but apprently its not allowed, unbeliveable.
Would I go back? No but then i would never go back to Zante again either, I thought it was a bit scruffy and I have visited many Greek islands and think it the worst I have been on. Zakynthos is a disgrace when compared to Mykonos.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

The Hotel is ideally situated in a lovely spot is right opposite it's own private small beach opposite the ionan sea which is ideal for a relaxing quiet holiday it's not full of tourists as it's tucked away from tsilivi but can be reached by a taxi around 10E or by a Bus outside the local kypseli supermarket 5 minutes on foot at around 9.50am.

Staff- Are very friendly and can't do enough for you especially the reception staff I must say a big thanks to all.. Very well spoken English and they give me much help on traditional greek restaurants around the area trying to keep away from the tourism of tsilvi.

Food- I would say the food when we went in the 1st two weeks of July their wans't a great selection for the English but I do have to say that we probably were 1 of two English couple who actually stayed in the hotel as they do not get many as most travel further into the city but nevertheless we made the best of it I would have preferred b&b because of the selection and we did eat out most of the nights during our stay. I would say the breakfasts were the best part as they were plentyful in the morning and had a wide selection of hot & cold food including cereals English Breakfasts, cakes etc this is the only reason I have giving it a 3 out of 5 for value and I was asked by the management team if the food was ok I politely said there wasn't a lot of selection.

Rooms
-Overall I couldn't fault the rooms were very spacious I would recommend a family room with a superior seaview you pay alittle extra but its worth it for the more modern rooms you will miss the seaview and taking in the tranquility if you get cheap garden view. Rooms were cleaned daily around the clock even though we were lazy in the second week and made the most of our lye ins.

Restaurants Near About.
-There are few tavernas near about which I would recommend in Kypseli you won't find Nightclubs/Pubs but good friends and Tavernas which remain to be authentic in this lovely island. Most of them are walking distance and very reasonable compared to tsivili for greek food if you need any recommendations then just send me a message I will be more than happy to oblige.

Amenities
-Hotel boasts a lovely main pool right overlooking the sea which was very well maintained and in a nice spot the restaurant area is very modern with comfey chairs and tables in and out of the sun again with views overlooking the sea "very fancy"

Things to do
-Around Kypseli there is not much in the way of Night life apart from the above i would say its more like a caribbean island in the way of relaxation you could do it in about a week we went for two but then booked a few trips and travelled to Tragaki/ Alykanas/Alykes/ for a bit more civilisation without it been to overcroweded.

I would recommend this hotel deffinately most hotels in Zante charge you for the Aircon which I think is shocking it's like paying for water... This was of the very few which it was included and we had no problems here the room was kept at a cool temperature all day/ night.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Thessaloniki, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

We stayed in this hotel between 7 and 14 August 2010 and we strongly felt that this is definitely neither a 4-star accommodation nor a good value for money. Specifically we booked a so called “superior” double-room on a half-board basis for about 130euros per night, but to our disappointment the only superior thing about the room was the nice sea-view. Otherwise, the room was totally inferior.

On arrival, we were checked-in by the receptionist who proudly informed us that our room was equipped with a safe box (what a breakthrough!) BUT! It would cost us 2 euros per day to use it! For a so-called 4 star hotel that was absolutely ridiculous, as this is a basic and standard free service in every decent 4-star hotel. In addition, when asking for a map of the area (the ones that every hotel provide you with on arrival), we were offered a map for 3 euros! It was then clear that these people were trying to rip us off.

Regarding our superior room, it was very annoying to see that the room had absolutely no toiletries. So if you really have to stay there, be prepared and bring your own soap etc. The only think that looked like soap in the sink was a re-filled dispenser of female vaginal wash! When complaining to the receptionist about this, we were told that this was mistakenly placed there. So they replaced it with a similar dispenser with no label on! My explanation is simple: These people collected every single dispenser they could find and filled it with soap, thinking that no-one would bother to read the labels!
More on the room: the bathroom was really small (so small that one could not stand in front of the sink if the door was open. A miserable and moldy shower-curtain made it look even more miserable. The double bed we asked for was two single beds (with old mattresses) placed close to each other. Regarding the decoration of the room, it was bad. These people need to consult someone about decoration and interior design immediately. The television was also very small with a very limited selection of channels.

The house-keeping was also problematic. Some day they would forget to leave toilet paper, some other they would not leave clean towels etc. Regarding the free internet, you need to get a card with a password form the reception in order to log in. If you are lucky and the computer is not used by some child, you might connect to the internet. BUT! The connection is so slow, that it will take you about 3-4 to load a page and you will never be sure if you are logged off. P.S. The password card says that this service costs 3 euros per hour! However, I have to admit that I was not asked for money. I guess they have probably realized that this charging is absolutely ridiculous.

About the area: the hotel is located in Kypselli away from any kind of civilization. So if you really have to stay there, make sure you have a car. The island is wonderful and you wouldn’t like to miss it. The private hotel beach is nothing I would recommend. Very small and rocky and I am not sure how safe this is for children. However, the island is full of wonderful beaches. So this is not a real problem if you have a car.

On the other hand, the pool area is nice. The food is more-or-less OK. However the desert variety is really poor.

All in all, this is definitely not a 4 star hotel and not a good value for money. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone who has previously been to some decent 4 star hotel. BUT! If you really have to stay there, be prepared and manage your expectations!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Belgrade, Serbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

I strongly recommend the Tsamis Zante at Zakynthos as the best located place with quite neighborhood, but with good connection with all the other places on the island that one wants to see and visit. An excellent base for getting to know the real Zakynthos.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

Our first impression of the hotel wasn't too good.
The check-in was poor, the receptionist wasn’t very welcoming, we had to hand out our id, and were explained all the things we had to pay for. More on that later.
We received the room key with a plastic card attached to it to activate the electricity. Already by the sight of the deteriorated and sticky plastic card, that was already broken a few times and taped together,…. I feared this wasn't going to be a 4-star experience, and certainly not the experience we’ve hoped for when we saw the slick internet site.
The hotel consists of two parts. A main building and next to it a number of bungalows divided into 3 floors with rooms. We got a room on the ground floor in the bungalow section, with so-called view on the garden. We were very disappointed because the room was very dark and damp and we had the feeling being in a basement. The garden-view was in fact a poor excuse of a garden and we had the feeling they were breeding crickets on their small grass-strip.
We asked the receptionist for a better room in the main building. The receptionist suggested a sea-view, for an extra of € 10 per night, and was apparently not too surprised we didn’t want the room. So finally we moved to a room on the 1st floor with a amazing view on the swimming pool and the sea.
The room itself was basic but ok. The funny thing was the tiny television, with the size of a shoe box and with only 1 watchable European channel, with poor sound. We had the impression the hotel didn’t pay for a television connection, and was actually broadcasting free channels from an internet site with a poor connection. Pretty pathetic for a so-called 4 star hotel.
There was a safe in the room but the door handle was taken off. I thought it was totally ridiculous that they asked € 3 per day for use of the safe. Again, this was not a 4 star service.
After we took our first bath, the room was flooded with our bath water that came out of the floor through the grid. We were very upset but the receptionist explained that we should not take out the bathstopper at once, something she forgot to tell us.
We spoke with some other people in the hotel, and apparently the crappy room, the complaining, the flooding in the bathroom, were the exact same experiences they had.
The hotel has one computer with internet connection. We bought an internet card of 1 hour for € 3. I don’t recommend to makes use of the internet as it is extremely slow, and you are never sure if you are logged off.
And there were other costs. For use of bathing towels you had to pay € 1 per day. We bought our own towels in a local supermarket for only 5 euro’s.
Still, the receptionist, especially the Swiss one, was very nice and helpful. The restaurant buffet was very nice and varied. They served local dishes which I like very much. There were 2 kinds of deserts, mostly some kind of cake and chocolate mousse. The breakfast buffet was also varied and tasty. And this is a very big plus. If the food would have been bad, we would have looked for another hotel at that point.
Apart from the swimming pool and the sea, there is nothing exciting in the hotel. There is an empty fitness room with a two fitness machines and a spa-center for which you have to pay of course. So if you don’t want to sit the whole day long in the sun next to the pool, maybe you should consider taking a half board instead of a full. Going out of the hotel is far better than staying in, and there are a couple of good restaurants in the vicinity and plenty of places to visit and excursions to do.
The hotel has 4 sun decks, with sunbeds. The hotel has 2 swimming pools (depth 1,6m). The big one is located on the upper deck and is located next to the restaurant. On the lower deck there is a small swimming pool, a very nice one as it is just on the edge. You can even go down further where there is a deck with grass (3m large en 25m long). When you go down to the lowest deck there are more sunbeds and a stair that leads into the sea.
The hotel doesn’t have a beach. You can go directly from the stairs into the see. The see is very undeep and you can go very far and still keep standing. Don’t forget to take shoes, cause there is NO sand, only rocks.
The hotel has also 4 mountainbikes, with 2 of them in working order, that you can take out for rent at €16 per day. A bit expensive since you can get a scooter for €20 in town. But this was a fun way to explore the neighborhood. The hotel location is very remote. The nearest village is Tsilivi (5km), which is very touristic. Zakynthos town is at 12km. There is a bus, which passes only three times per day and your only option is to take an uninsured scooter in the hotel, rent a car or call a taxi.
From the 15 hotels we stayed in the last 3 years, this one doesn’t score too high.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Tsamis Zante? Share your experiences!