“Good spa deal for a treat ” 4 of 5 stars

Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Neston Road | Wirral, Thornton Hough CH63 1JF, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornton Hough
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Good spa deal for a treat ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed midweek dinner b&b and spa treatments. All were very good quality. The a la carte portions were tiny but the quality was excellent. Pool and spa facilities were spotless . Bedroom was a good size and fully equiped .overall a lovely relaxing experience. Would visit again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Annie M, Guest Relations Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighed that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kindest regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I took my Mum for afternoon tea for her birthday. The bar area in which we were seated was fine we could look out onto the gardens, where a bride & groom where having their pictures taken. We were asked what tea we would like of which I asked which was a strong tea? the waiter just replied I can make it as strong as you like, I would have preferred an explanation of the different tea choices but perhaps he didn’t know?! We were then asked to choose two jams which we did. Our tea was brought t us in nice white china pots with sugar cubes & semi skimmed milk, we were not asked what milk we would like?
After waiting a little we decided to start drinking the tea so it didn’t go cold. Its lose leaf tea so you have a strainer to place over your cup as you pour, unfortunately there is nowhere to then put the strainer without causing a puddle on the table.
After waiting for some time & having drank all our tea the food finally arrived. I did ask for more tea which was supplied. I would have preferred for it all to arrive at the same time but that’s just me. As usual the cakes are small mere mouthfuls apart from the two scones, one plain one fruit so you either decided who wants which or share. The sandwiches where nice, the beef a bit chewy but overall tasty. We thought the two pots of jam idea a bit wasteful when you only have one scone each?!
Over all it just lacked atmosphere & felt over priced for what we received at £19.95 per person. I have had better more substantial afternoon teas with better service for less money. I wouldn’t rush back & I would ask you to consider trying a more 'intimate' run establishment instead

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We welcome all feedback as it is an invaluable resource to us.

Hoylake, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I have just had the most wonderful experience of a two night stay at Thornton Hall on a conference with over 50 colleagues. The hotel itself is beautiful and so well maintained, with stunning grounds and fantastic facilities. I was fortunate enough to spend two nights in a garden view room, designed with every conceivable luxury in mind, including a tv in the bathroom!
But, what made the visit was the attentive and personal service of the staff. From the friendly reception staff to the affable bar staff and the diligent cleaning staff, the hotel has the customer at its heart. This philosophy is truly lived out by the conference/function organiser, Derek. He took the time to ensure every need and requirement was met, without exception, and appeared to pride himself on greeting every individual request with a willing smile. I am so grateful for the care he took in ensuring that I received fruit during our breaks as he remembered that, due to a serious nut allergy, I couldn't eat the beautifully laid out pastries. It was an unnecessary kindness but one that meant so much.
I have truly returned from the two days relaxed and refreshed and I keep having to remind myself this was a work's conference, not a leisure break! This hotel is an absolute gem and well worth a visit. Thank you.

Room Tip: If you can afford a room with a view, spoil yourself. It's well worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Annie M, Guest Relations Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and to award Thornton Hall an amazing 5 Stars!!

I am delighed that your conference was a success and that you also found time to relax and enjoy our facilities. I have passed on your kind comments to Derek who I am sure will very much appreciate such positive feedback.

We all hope to welcome you again soon.

Lancaster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Our Daughter got us a night away here for my husbands birthday...What a treat. Had a swim, Outside hot tub and steam then a bar snack and a few drinks. (We'd had a big lunchout) Staff were very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was self service but with plenty of choice. Only fault was it could have been slightly hotter.)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Annie M, Guest Relations Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for awarding Thornton Hall a wonderful 5 Stars!!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your 'surprise Birthday' with us and we all hope to welcome you both again very soon.

Glossop, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Stayed here on a Sunday evening dinner, bed and breakfast arrangement.

Very strange at check in to be asked to sign a separate agreement regarding guest behaviour whilst at the hotel. Included within this was the stipulation that no alcohol could be consumed if not bought on site. I do not know whether this is a reflection on the class of clientèle or the hotel itself but to be honest we found this rather insulting.

We visited the spa and found it to be clean and perfectly adequate for a quick steam and sauna. The subdued lighting wasn't particularly to our taste but we did enjoy the outside jacuzzi.

The quality of the dinner on the whole was very good. The room we ate in was beautiful. Service was unobtrusive and unhurried. Alas unhurried did become non existent when the waitress forgot to bring us the dessert menu. A minor blip to an enjoyable meal.

In contrast to dinner, breakfast was a shambles. We arrived to find the restaurant full and had to be hurriedly seated in the bar. To reach the buffet breakfast offered we had to leave the bar, walk through a hallway and then open a door to enter an ante room off the restaurant. Needless to say this led to multiple journeys as we needed one hand free to open the door. Here the buffet was very depleted. No plates, glasses, orange juice, melon or mushrooms. Bread was provided for toasting but no tongs to lift it or adjacent pastries. Most items were slowly replenished but the last thing I wanted to do was hang around and make numerous journeys to and from our table. When the plates arrived they could have come straight out of a kiln. We never did get to try a mushroom.

We stayed in a club room in which others have described as a motel block. With narrow corridors and a small window overlooking cars we would have to agree with that description. The room was fine but with no air conditioning it would be uncomfortable in the summer.

Overall, excepting our experience at breakfast, our stay was enjoyable. The hotel does feel somewhat disjointed though with the motel block and spa not complementing the original, older building

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Our hotel policy is in place and serves in the best interest of all our guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your time in the spa and had the opportunity to experience the Lawns Restaurant. I hope to welcome you again soon.

Bebington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my sister in law for a relaxing weekend spa break. We experienced everything this hotel has to offer as we had spa treatments, a blow dry, dinner, bed and breakfast. And we had a lovely time! Just what the doctor ordered after a stressful week in work!!

Saturday started with a trip to the spa. Pool area is lovely especially the outdoor jacuzzis. Worth a dip! Then we had the Rasul treatment which was a giggle and made our skin feel amazing (who needs a facial when you can do this!) We wish we had had our camera to take a pic of our mud caked faces ha ha! After this we were transported in the buggy to the lodge for our massages. We felt so chilled after all of this! The staff were very attentive and we left feeling like celebs and sooooooo chilled out!

Then we had lunch in the bistro next to the spa. Food was yummy (so was the cheeky prosecco) and the chef even came out to ask if we had enjoyed it.

Then we checked into our room which had lovely comfy twin beds, robes and slippers oh and a flat screen TV in the shower/bath! Amazing! Our room was facing onto the lawn, lovely view.

At the hair salon the staff were efficient. I don't think I have ever had my hair dried so quickly! And I have a lot of hair!

The Lawns restaurant was another highlight. The food was delicious. The menu is a la Carte with a good choice. I had the scallops to start, duck for main course and ginger and rhubarb for dessert. All delicious. Service was great and there is an extensive wine list to choose from. We opted for a mellow Rioja which went down a treat. We then had coffees served with our choice of homemade chocolates. If you like chocolate this will be the best part of your meal!

We had a good night sleep despite the fact there was a wedding on. We could hear the usual frivolities but nothing which disturbed us too much. We were very relaxed after all. The break was topped off by a lovely breakfast the next morning.

So 5/5 Thornton Hall. My sister in law and I can't stop saying how much we enjoyed ourselves. Thanks for making us so welcome. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Annie M, Guest Relations Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and also for awarding Thornton Hall an amazing 5 Stars!!

I am delighted that you both had such a wonderful time with us. I will certainly be passing your kind comments onto all concerned.

I hope to welcome you again very soon.

Cheshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

First the good points-
1. Spa experience very good, all the team very friendly including the gym & pool area.
2. The evening dinner was very good.
3. The gardens and grounds are beautiful, so I can see why this place is great as a wedding venue.
The bad points-
1. The Room. Even though we were apparently in a room that had recently been refurbished, there was mould in the bath/shower grouting area. The balcony area resembled something from a high rise council flat....you can tell they've spent a lot of money on things like super king size beds, bedding, cushions and the coffee machine is a good touch but somehow the room reminded me of student halls of residence. The shower was feeble.
2. The actual booking process for spa treatments was a bit stressful, as they kept messing up the booking. My wife had booked a 70 minute pro collagen quartz facial (which she said was amazing), but when they were confirming the booking by phone, they kept saying she's down for a "taster facial", which led to unnecessary chasing up and phone calls to resolve the issue
3. The breakfast wasn't very good at all. Expected better. In fact not even as good as a Holiday Inn!
4. The corridor smelt like a hospital.
Overall- the hotel is possibly trying to be something it's not; Almost like the atmosphere is a big false front to cater for people of Liverpool and Birkenhead, giving them a wow experience (in their eyes)

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighted to hear that you both enjoyed your time spent in our health club and experienced our usual very high 4 Star standards in the Lawns Restaurant.

Kindest regards

Been to Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!