“Lovely setting with plenty of outdoor activities for children” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Escot is known as the Natural Place for good reason. In the 220 acres of parkland, threatened native species such as the iconic red squirrel and the secretive water vole have found sanctuary in surroundings steeped in history and filled with beautiful plants and champion trees. Meet Escot’s family of otters, wild boar and the stunning birds of prey. There’s woodland to explore, wetlands to navigate, a maze to solve and so much more.
Honiton, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting with plenty of outdoor activities for children”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We took our 6 year old son on Easter weekend, we all enjoyed the Easter egg hunt.

The maze was great and the play barn and we liked the woodland walks and all the play equipment dotted around, it meant that no one area was too overcrowded.

The owl display was very interesting and interactive.

The whole setting was lovely and we would certainly go back again.

RobinSavill, General Manager at Escot, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
I'm glad you could join us for our Easter egg hunt and thanks for taking the time to send in a review. I am so pleased that you all had such a great time.

Lovely to hear that you enjoyed the woodland walks and the views, as well as all the things to discover along the way. Also great to hear that you enjoyed the space that Escot offers - there's plenty of room for everyone here.

The maze is really popular with our visitors, despite being rather difficult! Glad you enjoyed the birds of prey display and the play barn too.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to send in a review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Escot soon.

Torquay, United Kingdom
“worth a trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Had a relaxing few hours at Escot with my husband and 4 children aged 16,14,10 and 9. They all loved the maze and were surprised how tricky it was! The younger two enjoyed the play barn and various other bits of climbing equipment dotted around. We took our lunch with us and there were plenty of picnic benches for us to sit at. We all loved the woodland walks - the views are wonderful. The pets area was a disappointment as there were only a couple of guinea pigs!
To be honest there isn't heaps to do but the setting is lovely. I had free entry tickets for two of my children otherwise I would say it was perhaps a bit over priced.

Visited April 2014
RobinSavill, General Manager at Escot, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review. I am so glad that your family enjoyed your visit to Escot.

As the park has evolved, we have tried to provide a range of features that appeals to a variety of ages - I am therefore very glad to hear that we were successful in entertaining all four of your children, aged 9 to 16 years. I am also very pleased that your visit was "relaxing". As a parent myself, I am well aware that not all family days out can be described as such!

We try to keep our admission and membership charges as low as possible in order to provide good value for money. I am sorry that you felt the admission was a little over priced but glad to hear that you were able to make the most of one of our special offers.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Escot soon.
South Molton, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
“Disappointing experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We had heard a great deal about this attraction before visiting, but I have to say it fell well below our expectations. We attended the otter feeding and bird of prey demonstration, both of which were interesting and worthwhile.
The woodland walk around the grounds is unremarkable and it is fortunate the weather was very favourable. There are areas which are in dire need of attention - the Wetlands and the ponds area in particular. Yes there are some areas attractive to kids like the drop slide, but all in all an expensive day out and very little to recommend.

Visited April 2014
RobinSavill, General Manager at Escot, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to send in a review. I am very sorry that your visit to Escot did not meet your expectations.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the grounds. With the rhododendrons and magnolias in full bloom and with the bluebells just beginning to open, many of our visitors have commented on how lovely the gardens are looking. I am so sorry that you do not agree.

The wetlands area is a nature reserve and is therefore a semi-wild area. It receives annual attention but for much of the year is left to the hands of Mother Nature, in order to provide the widest possible range of habitats for a huge variety of wildlife.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed seeing our otters and the birds of prey. I hope you also had time to visit the walk-through red squirrel encounter and the beech hedge maze, which are both extremely popular with visitors of all ages.
plymouth
5 attraction reviews
“poor value needs money spending on attraction”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We recently visited this attraction. We found it very expensive. We were only there an hour. Some of items on the map are a joke. The bottle tree, a cork tree with some mouldy bottle hanging from it. The bugs playground, just a log. I am unable to recommend this attraction to anyone. It says dog friendly but we didn't feel that our dog was welcome at all!

Visited March 2014
RobinSavill, General Manager at Escot, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
I am very sorry to read that Escot didn't live up to your expectations. The majority of our visitors consider that we offer great value for money and a fun day out packed full of things to entertain and educate. I am sorry that this was not your experience.

The park is filled with a variety of things to see and do, ranging from simple, quirky things to large-scale features like the drop slide, plus Escot's animals: the family of otters, red squirrels, wild boar and birds of prey. The bottle tree is one of the more quirky features but one that is designed to make visitors (especially our younger visitors) think about where things come from. The bottle tree has wine bottles and corks hanging from it, which causes some vistors to scratch their heads until they realise that it is actually a cork oak. It is amazing how many people (adults as well as children) do not realise that corks are made from the bark of a tree. It is wonderful to watch the head-scratching turn into "Oh, wow, I never knew that!"

I am afraid that you must have taken a wrong turn on your way to the bug playground, which is actually a children's adventure playground built to replicate the structure of a giant insect. Children can climb through all the parts of the insect from the proboscis to the ovipositor!

We receive lots of positive feedback regarding our policy on dogs and are often complimented on the warm welcome that we extend to our visitors, both human and canine. I am very sorry that you do not feel this was the case at the time of your visit. I will discuss your comments with our entrance kiosk team to see what can be done to further improve our canine welcome.

Thank you for taking the time to send in your review and, once again, please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.
18 attraction reviews
“Great for kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Don't be put off by the price, it's a pretty good day indeed. Lovely walk and lots of stuff for the kids to mess with on the walk. Big drop slide, adventure barn with loads of climbing and running about activities. Lots of animals and most of all the feeling that nothing is like a zoo. Good day out, got a year pass as we lived quite close and the kids could go back again and again.

RobinSavill, General Manager at Escot, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It's so nice to hear that you all had such a lovely time here at Escot.

Thank you also for taking out a multipass membership, which means you can now visit as many times as you like for a whole year. Don't forget that your multipass also entitles you to a discount in the Coach House Restaurant, gift shop and on selected events.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Escot in the near future.