“unforgettable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sibuya Game Reserve & Tented Camp

Save Saved
You added Sibuya Game Reserve & Tented Camp to your Saves list
Sibuya Game Reserve & Tented Camp
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   39 Eastbourne Road, Kenton-on-Sea 6191, South Africa   |
Los Angeles
“unforgettable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

I am no stranger to the bush - but my experience in Sibuya will stay with me forever. What a beautiful bush experience: from swimming in the river on our arrival, to the food - outstanding feasts - to the game: so beautifully shown to us by the excellent ranger - to the location - right on the banks of the river. Everything was done with heart and charm. There is character here and love. The people who run this and own this - love this. And it shows. A completely heavenly three days.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

We stayed for 3 unforgettable nights in the forest camp(which is by the river!)The "tents" were excellent,own bath and seperate shower and comfortable beds.The food was superb,the staff very friendly and helpful.We had 2 game drives per day each lasting about 3 hours and were within a few yards of Elephants,Rhinos(with baby)Lions with cubs,Giraffes etc,etc. Leon our guide had a vast knowledge of the animal and bird life. Truly a holiday experience that will live on in the memory.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

We would like to thank our loval travel agency African Twist Travel (www.africantwisttravel.com) for suggesting this unique and out of the ordinary lodge and game reserve to us. It is a fabulous place for both children and adults. We were truly amazed at how we could experience the African wildlife in such a close location (only 1.5h from Port Elisabeth). Food, lodging and the personal guidance by the rangers made this trip a very memorable one. We can highly recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
, Owner at Sibuya Game Reserve & Tented Camp, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Swiss traveller
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are so glad you and your children loved your stay at Sibuya. Please come and visit us again sometime soon.
Thanks also African Twist for recommending us.
western cape
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

I found Sibuya on Responsible Travel's website. It promised just that plus a very comfortable stay and great game viewing. We loved it from the moment the boat took us up the Kariega river to the camp 40mins upstream. Though on the river bank the camp is virtually impossible to see, blending in perfectly with the wooded surroundings. We loved our stylish tented accommodation - but think less guy ropes and ground sheets, and more spacious double bedroom with en suite bathroom! The thatched lapa where everyone congregates for reading, a drink at the bar and for meals is really lovely, though again very low key. The friendly staff are all faultlessly professional. It's obviously a happy ship as I had hoped to find from booking through Responsible Travel. Oh, and you'll be counting impala and nyala rather than sheep at night. The place teams with game. The re-wilding of the ex-farms that make up this reserve is a thriving project in this beautiful valley.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
SAFA in Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

I stayed at Sibuya in December with my young daughter for two nights - what a magical trip!
The arrival by boat up the river is unrivalled and sets the scene for the trip. We stayed at River Camp and the new accommodation is absolutely beautiful and nestled up against the bush while being on the river's edge, with gorgeous views. My favourite part of our (VERY LARGE) tent accommodation was the claw-foot bath which overlooked the river through a huge net window.
The food was excellent and indulgent and the game drives were both fun, informative and full of great game sightings. We loved the look-outs and also the differing terrain - hills, fields, the river and forest.
My daughter loved her stay. She has a nut allergy and the chef was very happy to accommodate this and prepare her food with caution which I greatly appreciated. She also loved playing with the other families who came during our stay, and Leon, the head ranger, was absolutely lovely with her.
All in all, a gem in the Eastern Cape!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Constantinople
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

There are many game reserves in Southern Africa and its often hard to differentiate between them. With the magnificent Kariega river running through Sibuya this is a truly unique gaming experience. We really enjoyed being taken up river to the lodge by boat as well as the many boat trips we were treated to while game viewing. The diversity of wildlife and birdlife is outstanding and the game rangers are excellent, both in terms of their knowledge and their hospitality. The food is of top restaurant standard. Tip: Ask the ranger's if they can find a Narina Trogon for you. A beautiful but elusive bird that will be a very special sighting for you if you are lucky enough to find one.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

I hadn't managed to really unwind all of December, but when we arrived in Kenton and on the boat trip up the Kariega River, towards Sibuya, I physically let go of all my stress and started to feel at ease .....it was tangible. I go into the bush often and have stayed at just about every safari lodge in South Africa. I got the same high-quality experience that I expect from any 5-star lodge ...exquisite luxury tents, brilliant brilliant food and intimate experiences with game.....but this is also different and unique. I particularly liked our hike between river and forest lodge, with awe-inspiring views of the Kariega river ...we were accompanied by a qualified guide. More than an ordinary hike - here we got completely absorbed in the microcosms of life. I will never forget the beautiful swims I had in the chocolate-velvet Kariega river - you can swim for hours and hours in there - it's gentle, you are completely sorrounded by wilderness and it's bilhartzia-free. I also found the atmosphere relaxed - like a home away from home and I do intend to go back over and over. I still had a few things I would have liked to do before we left - we were there for two nights ...I would have liked another game drive, another swim in the Kariega and a day at Kenton-on-Sea. It's particularly well situated, with the Garden Route so close by ...I want to explore that part of the world more. Will make Sibuya my first stop.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Sibuya Game Reserve & Tented Camp? Share your experiences!