“Lovely but the Traveller's Choice Award made me expect a little more” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Escarpment Retreat

You added Escarpment Retreat to your Saves list
Escarpment Retreat
5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   123 Alpine Terrace, Mount Tamborine, Queensland 4272, Australia   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely but the Traveller's Choice Award made me expect a little more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The receptionist was very accomodating when we were running late due to being a little lost, she managed to postpone our massage booking in a full schedule. Massage was OK, not amazing. Villa 2 was just lovely, however it does not have a private balcony or private spa window. It was so quiet, my partner and I felt that if we made any noise that our neighbours would hear. The fire wood was cut too large to burn well. Lounge was so comfy. The kettle was temperamental. I expected higher quality toiletries, and some bath oil would have been a nice touch. The grounds were not as luxurious after the villas to the look out, they were unmaintained and uninspiring. Breakfast was enjoyable. Loved the public lounge furnishings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Seoul, Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I came across the Escarpment as part of a general search of nice spa areas near Brisbane and took the chance on it based on some of the other reviews here on trip advisor. So glad I did! As it happens, the only part of the property available the dates I needed it was their 3-bedroom house, which the call the Edge. I stayed for 7 nights there. The house was spotlessly clean. It had a beautiful master bath, a perfectly-equipped kitchen, and a super comfortable living room. I was there by myself, but the house would be a perfect place for a family or for 2 or 3 couples to meet up. It had a very large screened in porch and lots of deck space. From the back deck you could see all the way down to Gold Coast. Really a beautiful location. I also can't say enough nice things about the staff. I am from the USA, but currently living in Korea, and this was my first visit to Australia. I found that I could rely on the staff at the Escarpment could be relied upon to make the best suggestions about local activities and eating places. Because of their help, in just a weeks' time I felt I had already fit into the life on the mountain. The spa staff, too, was excellent. I'm quite picky about my massages and really enjoyed them at the Escarpment. This is a no-brainer. A beautiful property in a beautiful location!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

As the first romantic get away in years, we went the Indulgence Package for 3 nights mid-week at The Escarpment. I cannot fault our choice, it was a beautiful room, large and spacious, with timber featured flooring & ceiling, and stone wall separating the villa from it's neighbour.

The king sized four poster bed was amazing. I wanted to take it home, it was so comfortable. and the linen was luxurious.

I loved the spa bath and we took full advantage of it after spending our days walking the various trails around the mountain. It's not often (read never) that we can fit in the same bathtub together, but we did with this one. I could take the bathroom home with me too...

We also had a balcony overlooking and leading out the garden, which gave us the illusion of complete privacy from the world, while being handily close to the reception/common dining area of the property,

Being indulged, our package including dinner for two one evening in our room, followed by movie at the in-house cinema. The meal was fine but nothing special, but still tasty home-style food. The options were very limited, so he had the chicken and I had the creamy veal.

The cinema was great, although we found the selection of movies to be somewhat dated. Still, we settled on the whimsical Chocolat with the delicious Johnny Depp and enjoyed the evening. Should have thought to turn the heater on an hour before we settled in though, as we had to fiddle around to stop cold air blowing across us, and ended up turning the heater off and making do without instead. Not to worry, the blazing fire soon welcomed us back to our Villa.

Have I mentioned breakfast yet? two words... yum yum. Hubby doesn't usually eat breakfast, but on this occasion, enjoyed the fresh fruit available so much he went back for seconds. I enjoyed the generous full breakfast on 2 mornings, and the delicious pancakes and fruit on our last morning, along with bottomless coffee.

On the third day of our stay, after two days of walking, I enjoyed an hour long massage at the onsite day spa (hubby generously gave me his half hour!)... a great way to relax those weary muscles; and only a short distance back to the hot spa bath afterwards. Ahh, the luxury!

All in all, we had a wonderful 3 night stay at The Escarpment and would highly recommend it to anyone looking to get away from it all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
EscarpmentRetreat, Owner at Escarpment Retreat, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
The biggest complaint from guests is that they wish they had stayed longer so I am pleased that you were able to experience the popular 3 night Indulgence package which seems to tick many many boxes for our guests.

What I really love about your review is that you have described it so well and for that am sure that our readers will get a lot out of it

Re: the dvd movie collection. We originally started off having the latest releases but painfully soon realised that there wasnt much connection between the anticipated hype and the actual movies. As we want to give everyone a wonderful experience, we turned to David Stratton's (The Movie Show) all time favourites list as our salvation. Undoubtedly folk will have seen a number of them but there is such a big collection now there should be some that folk havent seen that will still be highly entertaining

What a great way to finish your stay with a massage. We often spend so much time and money on the material world and so little time on ourselves, so it is a great treat to be able to do this. Sometimes guests mention that they feel they are floating after their massages.

So pleased that hear that your long overdue romantic escape was so wonderful. Thank you for sharing your story with our readers
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed one night for a romantic, kid-free getaway. We found the receptionist to be very friendly and helpful regarding dinner suggestions and bookings. We also were given champagne and chocolate on arrival.

The rooms were very private, lovely furniture including a four-poster bed, a nice fireplace and tall ceilings. The balcony looked out over a little water feature and was very private.

Honestly, the bed was the most comfortable bed we had ever slept in! Even though all the rooms were full the night we stayed, we didn't hear a thing from others and it honestly felt as though we were there alone.

Breakfast in the morning was first class. Perfect ending to an amazing night!

We will be back again.

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Escarpment for 2 amazing nights. We had a late arrived to reception where we were greeted by the friendly staff who checked us in and gave some advice on where to go for dinner. She offered us to take as many movies and cd's as we would like back to our room, which we could use for the length of our stay. She guided us to our room and brought us 2 glasses of champagne with a selection of 4 delicious chocolates!

Our first night was spent snuggled up by the cosy fireplace, watching movies and just relaxing in the serene atmosphere. The room was much larger than expected and had the most incredibly comfortable 4 poster bed with lush linen, this was just divine! A novel idea was the pressure censored floor lights, which ensured you didn't fall on the step to the level the bed was on. The spa bath is also just brilliant, although its rather loud, the size is huge. My partner is 6'5 and I am 5'10, we were both able to fit without being at all uncomfortable. Everything about this place makes you relax and enjoying being away from normal every day life.

Breakfast was provided the next morning in their dining area. It was a lovely breakfast with the choice of hot food, cereal, toast and a variety of teas. Eating the delicious breakfast just continued our relaxing time while they played a great selection of music. They have a large lounge area next to the dining room with odd furnishings but a beautiful fireplace, a lot of sunlight, trees surrounding and views of a small lake.

We were given a tourist map to find our way to all the attractions but found this more of a hindrance, I suggest you decide where you want to go and put the address in your GPS or phone map, as the tourist map is nowhere near scale and misses many streets that guide you.
There is a good selection of arts and crafts in the main part of town called the Gallery Walk, here you can wondering around the shops, eat, drink or just sit and take it all in. If you are looking for nice food with very good portions, we suggest the Witches Chase cheese factory and brewery. Not only can you watch how they make it all but you can enjoy a selection of local beers and eat in an interesting environment.

As Escarpment is not really near anything except the St Bernard's Hotel, this means you will be driving to town and passing some beautiful lookouts along the way, defiantly stunning to see many views from the coast to the sun setting over the hinterland as far as the eye can see.
If you want to go out for dinner, we suggest you get a taxi. The fare is not much and our driver dropped us off at the restaurant then picked us up after, and we paid one final bill at the end... very trusting people! If you eat out only once, then make it the Old Church Restaurant, I have already written a review about it on Tripadvisor and can not recommend it highly enough, simply put, it is the BEST food on the Gold Coast.

Escarpment retreat is an amazing place to stay, with the lovely rooms, great service, relaxing atmosphere and to top it all off, a lookout walk with the most spectacular views and a garden swing to enjoy it from!! I highly recommend it to anyone, I know we are definitely going to return there!!

Room Tip: A far as I know, all rooms are the same unless you hire the guest house, which is set out like a reg...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
EscarpmentRetreat, Owner at Escarpment Retreat, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you so much for the effort that you went to in describing your stay at the Escarpment Retreat

You have a real craft in how you wrote the review about our romantic villas. There was so much detail that I felt like I was there with you, at every step. I agree with everything you wrote from the large spa bath motor through to the fireplaces, step sensors, four posters, service level, delicious breakfasts, rear cliff views, tourist attractions and of course the very popular Old Church restaurant.

That is a good tip about the GPS. We will update our mobile website with a explore page and include google maps for the various attractions

Must explain to the readers about the beautiful Grand Guanaba Room that sits above the Guanaba Stream in the rain forest (next to the breakfast dining room). Every previous owner has added their signature style to that room. The first owners included the Versace style fireplace, the second owners added the large Moroccan ceiling lamp and African couches, and the third owners added the hand made French ghost chairs. We now explain that eclectically it clashes together very well. We feature a picture of this beautiful room on the Tripadvisor Top 25 Relaxation/Spa Hotels awards page where we are number 8

Thank you again for your very detailed review. Looking forward to seeing you back for some R&R (Romance & Recreation)

Warm Regards

Gary
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We visited The Escarpment for our anniversary and loved every part of the experience! Our room was amazing; the fireplace and four poster bed were the perfect touch. We would never normally be out of bed so early on holidays, but the breakfasts won us over! We also had the most relaxing massages one afternoon. The staff were all so hopeful on places to go and we enjoyed a very delicious dinner at a local recommended restaurant, as well as a very homely meal delivered to our villa on the second night. We are definitely city goers and I was looking to go overseas for my birthday next year, but now I have just about made my mind up to take an extended break back here as we only stayed two nights and now I know this is just not long enough! Thank you and we look forward to coming back!!

Room Tip: Villa 1 was private and perfect!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
EscarpmentRetreat, Owner at Escarpment Retreat, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Great review Louisa and you are right about the choices of going overseas or just being able to travel for an hour and find a completely different and beautiful environment in our very own backyard. Will let Carolynne know that you enjoyed her helpful advice and delicious breakfasts. She gets embarrassed when we praise her but deep down I am sure that she is appreciative.

We are looking forward to having you back again whenever you can escape...the 3 night indulgence package includes dinner, cinema and massage and for anyone reading this the massages are bliss
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My boyfriend booked us two nights in the Escarpment Retreat for my birthday and we could not have had a better time. The staff were helpful and friendly, recommending delicious places to go for dinner and interesting places to visit. The room was clean, spacious and very comfortable. The 4 poster bed was amazing. The dvd collection was an added bonus to a night in and the spa bath was fantastic! The breakfast was delicious. I was very sad to leave and definitely hope to return one day!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
EscarpmentRetreat, Owner at Escarpment Retreat, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for your review Lucy. Your boyfriend is a very special fellow and we were very privileged to have you stay with us to celebrate your birthday and enjoy the celebratory bubbly, delicious dinners, relax in the spa bath, warm by the fireplace and go for walks in our native rainforests

Here it is all about the experience and you were able to live it to the max. If you get the chance please post a pic of the two of you on our facebook page as we would love to stay in touch

Been to Escarpment Retreat? Share your experiences!