“overpriced and underwhelming” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“overpriced and underwhelming”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is pub food at five star prices. German food ain't great anyway. Sauerkraut and mashed potatoes hardly takes any preparation. But really, to get into the thirty buck mark for this is a serious waste of money. Tedder Ave restaurants do have a knack of pricing beyond the quality and this is a typical example. Served by nice meaning backpackers with, it appears, no management. The kitchen would just need someone to re-heat the clumsy bulk meat and micro wave the rest.Job done.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“BAD FOOD, BAD SERVICE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

This restaurant has everything for a poor dining experience. The service is terrible. I have found it is common ground for the German restaurants in Australia (not Australian owned). The food was very expensive and low quality: worst pork knuckle ever, hard and expensive. The worst part of it was that the restaurant does not have Air Con or even fans, which made our lunch experience even worse. It is very easy not to recommend it.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Truck stop food with a serve of sauerkraut...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I don't usually write reviews but because this restaurant is really the bad apple in the barrel it could really spoil what could be a lovely day at mt tamborine. With so many other nice restaurants around you will feel somewhat ripped off by the poor service, the so pathetic it's hilarious Bavarian Disney theme, truck stop food with a serve of sauerkraut and just plain awful attitude, you know the one where they know you won't be back so don't care. Great options all around, don't get caught out pulling in because it looks nice. It's not.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
“Unfortunately not worth it anymore”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

The building itself looks nice and the staff are dressed appropriately. Unfortunately this place has gone down hill over the years. The prices of the food and drinks are ludicrous for what they are. Given that there is a swiss and polish place close by you'd think they wouldn't charge extra for the novelty. Most mains are in the high $28+ mark for what is essentially German pub food. The beer although nice weren't very cold and are also overpriced. The staff aren't as friendly as they used to be and as we turned up we had tour groups arrive two minutes later. We were trying to escape so sat on the balcony facing a very tired looking lake. A Russian family decided to feed their baby on the baby chair right next to us when the rest of their group was inside, staff did nothing to ask the parents to not feed their child away from their table and annoy other customers. To order we had to get up and approach the bar to see if we had to order there, maybe if they have tours in they should have more staff, I can see why the staff aren't happy. All in all there are so many better places on Tamborine Mountain. They have lost me as a customer.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Surprised by the bad reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

My girlfriend and I decided to stay the day and night in Mt Tamborine on Australia Day and Bavarian Grill Haus was the second place that we visited that day.
I'd lived for 3 years in Germany whilst serving in the Army and hadn't had traditional German food for quite some time so we decided to go there for lunch.
We were met by a young waiter who asked us whether we wanted to sit outside or in and even though it was a little bit cloudy and not the warmest, we took a table outside beside the little pond that they have. I ordered an Erdinger Kristal (beer) which was lovely and just the sort of beer that I wanted to start the day off. We both then ordered the Sauerkraut and wurst special which arrived promptly. It was a huge portion of mashed potato, sauerkraut with 2 sausages and fried onions and a side dish of mustard. I thought it was lovely and although I would say that it was a bit pricey for what you are getting, in a themed bar/restaurant in a touristy area, I was kind of expecting that. My girlfriend wasn't a fan of the less spicy of the 2 sausages but that was just her taste, nothing to do with how it was cooked or the quality of the sausage. Half way through our meal it started to rain and without having to get the waiter's attention, he came out and asked us if we wanted to move inside which we did. I felt that this was pretty impressive as they were starting to get busy and it meant that we didn't have to stand about with our plates in hand looking for a place inside to sit.
I'd recommend this place if you're a fan of German cuisine (I know that it's not to everyone's taste, which is why i'd imagine that they've had bad reviews) and beer but don't expect it to be cheap. I'd say that it's ideal for a lads day or night out, friends to have a catch up or a family gathering but if you're looking for a nice romantic place to take the wife or girlfriend, i'd go for a different cuisine.

• Visited January 2014