“Riverside apartments excellent” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stanley
Glasgow
“Riverside apartments excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We booked for a night away and having agreed a rate then found online a significant reduced rate which the hotel honoured. This was good service and much appreciated. The meal at £49 is a bit steep but the food was good and the service was friendly and not at all stuffy. This is a great venue and being regular visitors will return again
Well done to the hotel for honouring the online deal

Room Tip: Go for the new riverside apartments
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Allan Thompson,

We appreciate the time you have taken to write a review about Ballathie – Thank you.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in the riverside building. Many of our returning guests share your sentiments.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future to enjoy the sounds of owls hooting and the river Tay trickling by from your river side balcony.

Jody Marshall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Montrose, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

About 6 weeks ago, we booked to stay at this hotel for one night. Then about 10 days before we were due to stay, I received a phone call from the hotel informing me that due to a private party booking exclusive use of the hotel, we would have no access to the main part of the hotel, which includes the restaurant and bar. There was no option of booking alternative accommodation elsewhere at this stage (Rewind Festival was on at Scone, and everywhere around Perth was booked solid). We were asked if we wanted to book dinner outwith the main hotel, at an annexe I think, which we declined.

Once at the hotel, the staff tried their best to be helpful and polite, but were obviously overwhelmed by the ongoing wedding and uninterested in anyone else. 3 lady residents at reception the same time as us were told they could have lunch but would have to eat in their room. We didn't bother asking for anything to eat or drink but headed out for the day.

We returned at midnight, and feeling like naughty schoolchildren ventured into the bar which was totally empty. The barman agreed to serve us a drink, and I said we would leave if anyone else appeared. Which we did promptly about 15 minutes later when someone else appeared, leaving the rest of our drinks.

We stayed in one of the Riverside rooms in an annexe, which was lovely. Spacious and large comfortable bed, nice and quiet so no problems with the room.

In the morning however, breakfast was appalling. We were directed to seats at a large table where other residents had been sitting at different placements. When I asked for tea and coffee, the waiter pointed to a 3/4 empty coffee jug, and a teapot already on the table and said there's tea and coffee. He also pointed to a plate with some left over cold toast and said there's toast available there! We have stayed in hotels all over the world, and to not be offered fresh tea, coffee and toast is a first. Not wanting a fuss, I stuck with the lukewarm stewed tea, my Husband couldn't stomach the cold coffee though and eventually got a fresh pot.

Hot breakfast was served from trays of food kept warm. I had enough in quantity, but very average quality. However, my Husband had grapefruit first and by the time he went to the counter for hot food, all he got was a small rasher of bacon and a grilled tomato. Again, the feeling was that the staff were overwhelmed by the number of people.

In summary, if the hotel are going to book exclusive use of their main building to a private party, then they should not be taking bookings from other parties. Charging full price and limiting access is not acceptable. We paid £220 for one night, and basically received nothing more than a place to lay our heads, and a very poor breakfast.

Room Tip: Our room in the Riverside annexe was spacious, comfortable and had a great view.
Dear JMathie2014,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Ballathie.

Please can you accept my sincere apologies regarding your breakfast with us. I think the confusion happened when we asked if you were part of the wedding party. This resulted in you sitting in composite tables and being served a buffet breakfast as requested by the bride from the wedding prior. Once again, I am sorry about this.

I have checked with reception and they have reassured me (and shown me) that an email had been sent to you, once you had booked online using one of our online travel partners. The email clearly states that the main house was being used exclusively. A further e-mail was sent to you 7 days prior, at which stage we assumed that you were happy with these arrangements. The final Email was sent to you 10 days before, which I am confused as to how you had received this one. Please accept my apologies for this confusion.

I do hope that this isolated incident does not deter you from visiting us again. We look forward to welcoming you.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

My wife and I took advantage of a great offer and visited this hotel for the first time. From the minute we walked through the door we were hit with a lovely welcoming atmosphere - the staff couldn't do enough to help and ensure that we were comfortable. We settled in to a lovely drawing room and ordered champagne afternoon tea - we were informed that the kitchen had run out of pastries so we opted for a cream tea instead which was lovely! Our room, although a bit dated was very comfortable with a huge bed, which was great. We needed an iron and then a hairdryer and within minutes of a quick phone call to reception they were in our room - top class service. We booked a four course dinner and although fillet steak was a supplement of £10 on top of the £49 for four courses with coffee, we both chose this, and we were not disappointed! It was fantastic. We have eaten at many top restaurants and this was up there with the best - well done Ballathie. The restaurant has lovely views and was busy, so a great atmosphere. Note that there aren't any facilities such as spa or swimming pool but if you're after a typical Scottish highland house then this ticks all of the boxes. You can walk, fish or shoot and teh hotel takes dogs at a supplement of £20 per dog per stay.The only downside to our visit was that on the morning of leaving there wasn't any hot water - on querying this I was told that "something had broken on the system overnight". So we left unshowered but happy! One tip, if we go back again I'll be asking for a room away from above the kitchen as there was a lot of late night (1am) noise from staff having a cigarette outside of the room (noise and smell came in through open window). There was also noise from deliveries/staff cars from 6a.m.. In general, lovely quaint traditional Scottish Highland hotel - lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear John M,
Thank-you for your review about Ballathie House Hotel.
It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed all of elements Ballathie has to offer. I am sorry that we ran out of pastries when you were here, these are prepared daily in house to ensure the highest quality.
We have become aware of wear and tear in one of our extractor fans. This is an issue that we are addressing and hopefully will be solved over the next few days.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Ballathie – Please do let me know when you will be returning so that I can ensure we have fresh pastries for you to enjoy with your afternoon tea.

Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

"Your Ballathie experience starts here!" proclaims the sign on the hotel driveway as you exit the main road. The drive up to the main hotel building is about 3/4 mile and does indeed make a very favourable impact. Unfortunately, we did not find the hotel itself to be as impressive as it clearly wanted to be perceived.

Positives:
- Seclusion. We stayed in a riverside room (rather than the rooms in the main building) and it was extremely quiet at all times.
- The rooms were of a good size.
- The beds were super-king rather than just king size and were very comfortable to sleep in.
- Breakfast. This was fine if not fantastic, with attentive service, and there was a good selection of buffet items as well as the cooked breakfast being very filling. It was however not the case that the quality of the cooked items was as high as we've had elsewhere.
- The servicing of the rooms was good and the turn-down service in the evenings was a nice touch.

Negatives:
- No Wi-Fi. In this day and age this was a huge disappointment. Admittedly there was a public network which could be accessed from some of the public areas in the main hotel building, but that was it, and there was zero in the way of coverage in the riverside rooms. Given the lack of 3G in the area this really detracted from our experience. We were told on check-out that this was something that was being addressed right now and there would imminently be Wi-Fi access in the riverside rooms as well as elsewhere in the hotel, however I did note that another reviewer had previously been told the same thing, so if this is important to you I'd check the work has actually been completed before making a booking.
- The room décor looked somewhat tired. There were stains on the carpets, coffee stains/splashes on the walls, the laminate flooring in the bathroom area was noticeably scratched, and there was a significant chip in the enamel on the bath itself.
- The bathroom area was below average. The shower seemed to have been installed above the bath for someone of well-below average height; each morning my wife and I both had to crouch down in the bath to use it. In addition it had a strange layout,
- The TV was too small for a room of this size (difficult to watch from the bed). For a luxury hotel experience, you'd expect to not have to squint at a (26/28 inch?) screen.
- Cleanliness. The room was not cleaned to a particularly high standard; it was just about adequate, but nothing more. The grouting in the bathroom area really needed a deep clean, and there was a significant amount of dust and cobwebs apparent.
- Tea/coffee in the room. This was not nice at all; there was a cheap kettle that took forever to boil and only instant coffee sachets. In addition the teacups were past their best and stained (as indeed was the tray they sat on).
- Stuffiness. This is purely a personal observation based on our demographic, but the residents of the hotel while we were there seemed overwhelmingly in the 55+ category and we did feel somewhat out of place (as young-at-heart 40-somethings) with a somewhat heavy/restrained atmosphere. Of course this may be a real positive depending on your point of view. It was also the case that we came across precisely zero children during our stay.

Conclusion:
We felt that the hotel was a little pretentious overall - the signage proclaiming your "Ballathie experience starts here" would suggest a luxury resort awaited, however we did not find this to be the case. Unless we badly missed something, there were no spa facilities, no organised outdoor activities, indeed it surely wouldn't have been too difficult to sign some easy walks around the (considerable) grounds away from the hotel itself, but there seemed to be nothing beyond the room and restaurant/public rooms/bar. We would not recommend the Ballathie - it was adequate in several areas, but fell far short of what we would regard as a luxury experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Spent 2 nights here; had a room in the Sportsman's Lodge. Cost was £90 for the room on a B & B basis.
Room is described by the management as "top end 3*" - well it's not. On the plus side it was big, and quiet. However, it was more like a big motel room than a luxury Scottish country house hotel. It was sparsely furnished, the quilt didn't cover the bed properly, the TV was tiny and had appalling sound, the windows had no blinds and the curtains didn't fully close, the shower screen didn't fit properly so the floor got wet when you had a shower, and there was nowhere in the bathroom to hang clothes or towels.

The breakfast was shocking: apparently they would charge a non-resident £18.75 for it, which would be robbery. Everything is served out of "keep warm" dishes and hence is tepid. Fried eggs were runny and undercooked, and the bacon was horrible.

The staff seemed to come from everywhere except Scotland, were uninterested in us, and barely spoke.

The public rooms in the main hotel were in good order and well-decorated - although interestingly the collection of AA rosettes for the catering seems to have stopped in 2007, which might explain a lot.

This is a very expensive place which should deliver more for the price. It needs significant investment, which the current owner seems not willing to make. We would not go back.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the Sportsman's Lodge - if you're going to stay here spend more and be...
Dear Steve W,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review about Ballathie.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. If I may, I would like to address a few of your comments.

The Chef has maintained a two rosette standard. These plates are displayed at the front door. I am uncertain where you obtained the 2007 information from. You are very correct in that this sends a very clear message how wonderful our food is here.

I would like to indicate to you that the room prices are set by the bride. I think that this is enough said about this element and respect her special day.

As you were attending a wedding, it was requested that a buffet breakfast was served. I agree that this is not ideal, but again, this is us respecting the bride’s wishes. Your statement of “runny and overcooked eggs” is something I do not know how to address, for me, your egg is either runny or overcooked. You are correct in stating that breakfast is £18-75, but this is for an A-la-carte service, very different from a brides request.

You seem prejudice about foreign staff? For me, it is about employing the best staff for the position and not about where they come from.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It would however, would have been great if you had told us on checkout, or better still, when you arrived so that we could have solved these problems for you. I am sorry that you were not able to speak to the bride about these either.

I do hope you return to Ballathie, so that we are able to offer you the real Ballathie experience.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My boyfriend surprised me for our anniversary & booked us one night at Ballathie House. From the beginning it was just dreamy, the drive in to the hotel was lovely we felt we were a million miles away from anything, perfect for what we were looking for. Upon arrival we were greeted instantly by a lovely member of staff, although I do feel she could have been a little more informative, for example showing us where everything was located in the main hotel building, as later we heard a different member of staff showing around another couple who were checking in & we both said it would have been nice to have received that information upon our arrival. We were given room 16 in the riverside building I was absolutely in love with! It was beautiful, the decor was lovely and fresh & the room was bright and spacious. The bathroom was big & very clean. We absolutely loved the balcony aswell, being able to sit out and look directly onto the river was just wonderful. We also liked the comfy white robes provided too & sat out on the balcony in them enjoying our tea. The grounds were absolutely stunning and my boyfriend and I loved spotting all the different birds and animals around too. We chose not to dine for dinner but we did have breakfast the next morning which was lovely, I enjoyed the granola and fruit. The staff were attentive and helpful. My boyfriend and I enjoyed our stay so much that we felt so saddened to leave! One night just isn't enough and we were already planning our next visit before we had even checked out. I think the hotel would benefit from having a spa and massage/beauty parlour of such because it really is such a peaceful place, i think a spa and massage would have been the cherry on the top of what was an amazing stay. If you are looking to escape the harshness of city life I would recommend a weekend at Ballathie House, you will leave feeling refreshed, relaxed and cleansed. Stunning grounds, picturesque and peaceful. Could not have had a better surprise or anniversary present!

Room Tip: Room 16!! Is all I'm saying! Definitely think it was the best room in the riverside building ( h...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Amber25x,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Ballathie.

It is very rewarding to read about how much you enjoyed your time with us.

I have spoken to the team to ensure that standards are maintained with every guests experience – thank-you for your feed back.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Ballathie for more than a one nights stay I hope?

Bankfoot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I attended the Perthshire Chamber of Commerce "Showcase Lunch" on Tuesday 8th July.

Whilst the grounds and setting are stunning, no attention to detail has been spared for the service, drink and food. The food is fabulous and I only wish I'd taken the menu home with me to share with my wife!!

Will definitely be back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Bankfootdave,

It is wonderful to read in your review that you enjoyed our showcase lunch of Ballathie.

We are very privileged as a hotel to be based in Perthshire and more particularly to have the support of such a welcoming business community.

I do hope you return to Ballathie, with your wife next time, so that we can install in her the same pride we have for our amazing region.

Jody Marshall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanley
Fonab Castle Hotel
4.0 of 5 stars 1,593 reviews
Lands of Loyal Hotel
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Murrayshall House Hotel

Been to Ballathie House Hotel? Share your experiences!