“Quirky, comfy Scottish house in gorgeous setting” 4 of 5 stars

Ballathie House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kinclaven By Stanley, Stanley PH1 4QN, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stanley
Aberdeenshire
“Quirky, comfy Scottish house in gorgeous setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Spent one night here before doing the 'Land Rover Experience' nearby (recommended). Beautiful old house which is privately owned so still retains it's character and history. We had a standard room in the main house above reception accessed via a lovely old, wide staircase. The room was comfy and homely. My only gripe being that it was freezing! It was only five degrees outside yet someone had wedged the window open. The hotel welcome pack declares that the hotel ' treats it's guests like royalty' but they should ensure rooms are cosy on such a cold day. We only had a shower but I'm sure rooms with baths are available. There was an area with sofas on the first floor which was nice.

We wandered down to dinner about 7pm and the downstairs area was pretty busy with diners which made for a nice vibe. The log fire was roaring. I did think that the downstairs area could have been made cosier with the use of plants Eric as it felt a bit like a thoroughfare. Dinner was first class - every course was wonderful as was the Lebanese red wine we selected. Personally I would change the decor in the dining room - it could be lovely in there but right one it feels soulless with those standard 'function suite' style of chairs.

The other good thing about Ballathie is that you can take your dogs and there are lots of walks around the grounds to enjoy.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Foxxylizzy,

We appreciate the time you have spent in contributing a review about Ballathie.

I have discussed your review with our house keeping team who are going to ensure that all of the room’s temperatures are more vigorously checked. I am sorry that you had to endure a cold room.

I am delighted that this did not detract you from having a wonderful Ballathie experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ballathie in the not too distant future.

Jody Marshall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

All was pretty good but left feeling a little deflated.
A lovely building and good room but lacking anywhere to hang clothing. Admittedly we were on a voucher but disappointingly, it felt like it.
Bright yellow walls and too strong lighting in the eating areas with staff trying a little too hard. The food was pricey but of a high quality with the portions being a little shy - three courses for my wife without flinching.

Dear Tonygalente,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review about Ballathie.

I am very intrigued about a few of your comments. Please allow me to elaborate.

All of our rooms are well fitted with hooks behind the doors and in the bathrooms. There are ample coat hangers in the wardrobes. I am sorry that you feel this is not enough.

Our main dining area does have yellow walls with murals. There are candles on all of the tables which brighten up the tables and enhance the atmosphere. I am sorry that you feel this creates too much light.

Finally, you mention that the food is of a “high Quality” but “too pricy”.

I am disappointed that you were unable to mention any of this during your stay with us.

I do hope that this does not deter you from returning to Ballathie. We be delighted to give offer you another real “Ballathie experience”

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Have just spent 2 nights here and I have to say the room we were allocated in the main house was fantastic.
The restaurant served amazing 1st class meals and all the staff were so polite and pleasant.

My only criticism would be that the restaurant requires some back ground music as it felt a bit like being in a library where everyone was whispering so lacked some atmosphere and life and the same for over breakfast.

It's a beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting.
Would certainly visit again!!
Thanks to all.

Dear Landscape100,

We appreciate the efforts you have made in writing a review about Ballathie – Thank-you.

Background music is a very mixed bag for us. Ballathie, as I am sure you would have experienced, tries to be one with the estate within we are located. We use the freshest provenance from our Estate and local areas. We try to blend into our environment, which is tranquil and peaceful. It is for this reason that we do not have any form of music in our public spaces.

I am relieved to read that this did not have a negative impact on your stay with us.

We all look forward to welcoming you back for another “peaceful” stay in the future.

Tayport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

The wee bar has a great atmosphere and a good selection of malts. The breakfast was delicious and the staff are so helpful and polite. The hotel was warm and cosy when we went - not cold as others have said. The grounds were not looking that great with all the rain and I would like to see it again in better weather. It is possible to go and visit the chapel and the wine cellar.
The view of the river from the dining room is excellent. Just one gripe - no bar food on a Sunday and the menu reads as if one has to have a three course meal if one goes to the main restaurant - other guests told us that you do not. It is possible just to have a main course. Not many folks eat three courses these days - and the meals are very expensiveso more informal dining choices are needed. We ate in Dunkeld before arriving because we were unsure what the restaurant formula was.

Room Tip: As others have said, ask for the main house and not the lodges. All of the rooms in the main hosue...
Dear Heather_Suds,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review about Ballathie.

Sunday lunch is a real Ballathie experience. Many guests drive from various destinations to enjoy and appreciate our Fayre. I am sorry that you felt it was too much for you. You are correct in stating that you are able to enjoy a main course from our Sunday Lunch menu.

I am delighted that this did not taint your stay with us and that you were able to enjoy your Ballathie experience.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Stirling, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I attended my friends wedding at Ballathie House Hotel, what a great day, food was excellent and staff were very helpful throughout the day. Our accommodation was the River View Lodges in the grounds of the hotel, the room was warm with excellent views across the river, large room and large bathroom.
Thanks to all who made the day special.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view if staying within the lodges.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Lesley G,

We appreciate the time you have spent in writing a review about Ballathie – thank you.

Our team enjoys hosting weddings. We understand that for the happy couple, their wedding day is personal and it needs to be a day that their friends and family will talk about and appreciate for months afterwards. We are delighted that we were able to make this a reality for your friend on her special day.

We do hope that you return to Ballathie soon and possibly enjoy a romantic few days for two?

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I booked the hotel as part of a special offer. We had a wonderful room, with a huge bathroom and a bottle of wine chilling waiting for us. Dinner in the restaurant can only be described as exquisite! Coming from a hospitality background I found everything exactly as it should be. Breakfast the next morning was to an equally high standard. Keep up the good work guys, can't wait for a return visit.

Dear Pam G,

Thank-you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about Ballathie.

I have passed your review onto our restaurant team who were exceptionally proud that their efforts had been appreciated – thank you for your kind words.

We do hope you return to Ballathie soon when we will aspire to deliver another “exquisite” experience. Thank-you once again

Dundee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night at Ballathie and were a little disappointed. Our room was lovely and overlooked the front aspect. However, for an upgraded room the bathroom was minute with a shower over the bath and no room to put anything. The toiletries were minimal as were the variety of tea: just plain builders tea and two Earl Grey sachets. No herbal teas at all.

The lounge was warm by the fire but move away from the fire and it was quite cold, as was the dining room. However, the dinner was most disappointing and at £45 or £50 depending on whether or not one had a sweet, it was expensive. As a non meat eater, the choice for me was minimal. However, I thought I had chosen well with a smoked salmon starter. However, it was not smoked and there was no taste whatsoever. A real disappointment. My husband had wood pigeon, which he thought was average. Our main courses were good, but there was a real shortage of vegetables.

We sat in the open area for our coffee as the chairs by the fire were taken in the drawing room and it was quite cold. However, the open area was cold also and two barking dogs with separate owners was not great.

Breakfast was disappointing as we waited a good 10 minutes for someone to take our breakfast order and bring us tea/coffee. My order of scrambled eggs and smoked salmon duly arrived, but the smoked salmon was cold and on a cold plate. Thus the scrambled eggs tasted cold also. We had to wait ages for a second order of toast to go with our cooked dishes with the result that our hot food was eaten by the time the toast arrived.

I would not blame the staff as they were all young and probably Polish; with little experience. There should have been a manager in charge overseeing the breakfast.

A disappointing stay overall and I would not rush to return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Kerriehowe,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review about Ballathie.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us. I am exceptionally disappointed that you never shared this with me or any other member of our team as i feel we would have been able to turn your experience around had we been told.

I would like to point out that a member of senior management is always around, this includes myself. We ensure that we do not leave until our dinning room is empty after diner - this is standard practice for us and shows our commitment to excellence.

I would like to point out that it is never our intention to give our guests a bad experience. We do strive hard and we do get it right most of the time - I am sorry on this occasion you feel we didn't.

I do hope you return to Ballathie and enjoy our hotel.

Jody Marshall

Been to Ballathie House Hotel? Share your experiences!