“Good, but at what price?” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Swettenham
Cuisines: English
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Manchester
“Good, but at what price?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Swettenham Arms is prosaically like many pubs with restaurants around the country; you now what you are going to get. The mix of game pies, roast lunches and things with wild mushroom for the vegetarians in the room. It has a wonderful atmosphere with large open fires - especially appreciated when the weather outside is cold - and excellent service. I would love to give it a hearty recommendation.

Only I can't.

Firstly, for a pub with as good a reputation as this, I was amazed to discover that their was only one vegetarian dish in a list of around 14 main courses. In this day and age I find this woefully inadequate for any establishment. I am not a vegetarian though my wife is, but to honest I don't always want a plate of meat in front of me. This aside the menu is, as I have stated already, the sort of fare that you would expect and, therefore, I had high hopes for the meal in general.

Everything was fine until the food came. I have two daughters, one 8, one 10. They both ordered from children's menu food. The eldest had the child's version of my food - a gourmet burger and chips - the other had a bowl of pasta and tomato sauce. There was barely enough pasta to fill the small bowl and as a consequence woefully overpriced. My food was placed in front of me - a very nice looking burger with exactly 14 chips and nothing else - then my daughter's child portion of the same meal arrived. It was exactly the same size as mine, the only difference between them being mine had a tiny piece of bacon, and a sliver of gherkin. The roast meals were by far the best option, the portion sizes being far more appropriate to the price, but the desserts, once again, were hugely inflated prices for what arrived.

All in all, I honestly feel that despite it's wonderful reputation, the Swettenham Arms could do with a reality check and either lower it's prices or improve the actual food. I could have quite easily had the same meal for two thirds the cost at another one of these stylised country pub come restaurants.

I won't be going again, that's for sure.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“great food in cosy bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Visited this pub whilst staying with a friend .Ate a wonderful lunch really nice menu .Staff very helpful and friendly .Very cosy bar with a lovely fire on a cold day.

• Visited January 2013
Chester, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had a superb meal here today in a nice surrounding.
Unfortunately this was after we had waited over twenty minutes at the bar after we requested a table!
Still a good venue and a very good meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cheshire
“trip out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is a lovely country pub lovely surroundings staff very polite a lovely meadow to walk round the little church at the side is very nice the inside of the pub is lovely and some great history we will be going back here again in the future

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cheshire
“Try the steak pie!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Me and some friends visited The Swettenham Arms after going on a walk around the area.. We were greeted by friendly staff and sat next to a lovely roaring fire! Two of us ordered the steak pie which was THE best steak pie I have had in a long time! We ordered my 2 year old nephew the kids cheese&tomato pasta which didn't seem to actually have any cheese in but wasn't worth a complaint. For dessert I had a vanilla and fig creme brûlée, the fig was on the side and not in the brûlée which wasn't stated on the menu but was still just as nice. Service was average, after finishing our mains we had to stack our own plates and find the dessert menus ourselves. I would definitely go back for the food though!! However, to make up for the service I later realised I had left my driving license behind, they posted this to my address 1st class and I am extremely grateful for that!

• Visited January 2013