“Good Value” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
St Austell, United Kingdom
“Good Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We dined here, in this dog friendly pub, as we had done so in the past and found it superb. The food was very good, though the mash wasn't as good as it could have been, lacking creamyness, and a tad heavy. The beers were hand pulled, and the menu was varied. However, in todays security aware society, one should not be asked to leave your card behind the bar to keep a tab open. Overall, this visit was not as good as our previous visits, but we would still use it again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great Pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Lovely pub with great food, plenty of games to keep everyone entertained whilst waiting. Thoroughly enjoyed our visit

Hampshire
“Not very good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

We tried this pub for an evening meal during a cider festival. The choice of cider was amazing and delicious. The first thing I ordered wasn't available though it hadn't been crossed off the specials board. I then ordered a pasta dish which was delicious. However my wife chose a baked potato with chilli and it was virtually inedible. The chilli was so powerful that it really couldn't be eaten and I can say this because I tried some of it too. Didn't seem to be worth complaining so we left, very unimpressed with this pub food.

Visited May 2014
Essex
“Too much”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

A really cosy old fashioned pub with a record breaking selection of ciders and perrys, about 41 they say. I ordered the "Indian chip butty" as I didn't want a big meal and my wife ordered salmon with vegetables. When I saw the other customers pointing at the waiter and gasping I wondered what was happening. Well, he had the biggest plate of food I had ever seen. It must have been over a foot long and about five inches high, when he put it in front of me he said "good luck". It consisted of slices of garlic bread covered with a mixture of chips and chicken in a curry sauce covered with a thick layer of melted cheese. It tasted delicious but would have fed the whole pub. I am a big eater and hate leaving any food on a plate but could only manage less than a half of it. I don't like seeing food wasted, I know they advertise large portions, but a portion half the size would still have been ample. My wife's salmon meal though a large plate full was manageable. One small moan, although the pub is a dog friendly it doesn't have to smell of dogs.

Visited May 2014
Watford, United Kingdom
“Hugely disappointing !! ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We came here, due to staying very nearby and it being the only place to eat within walking distance. First off, we went into the bar area and was told to walk round to the restaurant area, we then we wanted to order food and asked for menus. We were told there weren't any and that there was one huge menu on a blackboard in the bar area! Walked all the way round back through to bar area to look at menu. Chose what we want and went to bar to order to be told to order at sandwich bar !!! Awful mess this system was !! Really annoyed by then. Tables and seats were filthy. We then decided to leave and tried to cancel our order but we were told it would be out in 5 mins so we waited..... It came out half hour later !! Don't bother with this place !!