“Enjoyable Iceland Break” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mosfellsbaer
London, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable Iceland Break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Myself and my sister stayed at the Hotel Laxnes for 5 night in early March.
Room: we had a large spacious room, two beds, 3 door wardrobe, desk with kettle and complimentary tea and coffee, coffee table and sofas (which was a nice touch), TV with mainly news channels which was fine as we weren't in the room too often, bathroom was spacious with a bath tub, a balcony overlooking the mount Esja - amazing views and fresh clean towels provided everyday. The rooms were always very nice and warm when we came back from a excursions. Overall had a nice comfortable sleep on all days.
Hotel Staff & facilities: breakfast was provided with the usual tea, coffee, juice, yoghurt, porridge, toast, cheese, salads and fruit. Not your full English breakfast so would be great if fried eggs, veg sausages, hash browns could be introduced. The area where breakfast is served is very nice and on some days where there are sports showing a projector is put up on the wall. Their is a little lounge area where you can sit on the sofas and a pool table as well (at a cost). It's very cosy there and gave me a very nostalgic feel to when I went on a countryside trip in the UK. The staff were all very friendly! They helped us with sorting out any excursions and also kindly put out notices of when the Northern Lights tour would be running.
Local area: Their is a KFC and dominos pizza nearby which we went to a couple of times. Also two local supermarkets in the area too, one is called krona and the other has a pink pig sign (can't remember the name) but it's basically the equivalent of our Tesco etc. in the UK. It was helpful as we brought some snacks over to the room to keep us going. We had a few days off so we asked the hotel manager if there was anything to do in the local area. He gave us a few walking trails which led us to a mini hot spring and also to the Alafoss village which had a very nice café/restaurant there and as the name suggests, a gorgeous waterfall just outside it. There is also a bus stop right outside the hotel which takes you to downtown Reykjavik (city centre) in about 20-30mins. You do need exact change though for the bus, I believe it was about 5 Icelandic kronas.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room facing the mountain, it's absolutely gorgeous!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Large room and bathroom with an actual bath, which is unusual in Iceland. Plenty of local facilities nearby - shops, food outlets, bakery, filling station. Free parking. Close to Reykjavik.
We totally failed to understand why this hotel has such good ratings. It was nothing more than OK in every way, certainly nowhere I would return. Located in a commercial area by a busy road, so noisy that it was impossible to keep the windows open. Hotel details show guests enjoying the hot tub - this did not seem to be in use while we were there. Breakfast was served in the bar which was a bit smelly and seedy. Breakfast options limited and lacking in fruit and decent bread. Could not get wifi to work at all.

Room Tip: We had a very large, light room on the first floor.. I do not know how this compares to other rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel-Laxnes, Manager at Hotel Laxnes, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Hi eewatts, thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear you didn´t have a better stay with us and make use of the hot tub and the wifi, which if asked, we could of assisted you. We will certainly learn from your comments re. the breakfast and see what we can do to improve. We are here to make your stay better, it´s unfortunate we missed that opportunity. We hope you enjoyed your stay in Iceland.
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I recently got back from a stay in Iceland.I stayed at hotel Laxnes in Mossfellsbaer near Reykjavik.In a small town with plenty of places to eat nearby,some fast food like KFC and subway but also a wonderful cafe/restaurant at Alafoss which is also an art gallery a few minutes away.The hotel is very comfortable with a cosy bar where you can mingle with other guests in the evening.Also they show sports on a big screen which brings in the locals,it was the world cup while i was there.The staff are friendly and Shaun the manager is very helpful,he will give directions and maps,will give trip advice and arrange it for you,bus times and trasport advice etc.All in all i had a fantastic time and even had a couple of sunny days!

South Wales, NY USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

The hotel is about a half hour north of Reyjavik center city and is a reasonably priced ($200 USD/night) small tourist class hotel. Iceland is a very expensive location by N. American standards.

The location has several restaurant and shopping choices close by, as the hotel has no restauran only a bar. A breakfast buffet is provided in the room charge.

The self-serve buffet offered dry and hot cereal, yogurt, toast, cold cuts and cheese, hot coffee or tea. There was an orange drink from a machine, more like a punch not orange juice. The hot cereal and toast were the best features.

The rooms are clean, but on weekends do not get daily cleaning or laundry changes. The common areas need to be re-freshed, and overall the hotel appears to be past the replacement cycle on painting, and furnishings. The very helpful staff is the best thing about the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hotel-Laxnes, Manager at Hotel Laxnes, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thanks for the compliments for our Hotel Staff as we do our best to please you all .
Our prices are more on the lower scale compared to other 3 star Hotels in the City centre.
Yes our Rooms are not serviced over the weekends but as per notice you can get everything you need by asking the Hotel reception.Not sure which common areas you are referring to as the whole Hotel had been painted recently and yes we could do with some new furniture .
Best Regards
Shaun
Mosfellsbær
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I came, I stayed, and went without hitch. Laxness Hotel is very conveniently placed for access to Reykjavik and the north and well priced compared to the city. The rooms and hotel facilities were excellent and staff warm, friendly and multilingual. The locale also has everything one could want.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Hotels in Reykjavik can be quite pricey, especially in the summer. Having stayed in Reykjavik before, I opted to spend my one-night stay in Iceland outside the city to have a different experience, and chose Hotel Laxnes based on the positive reviews, relatively modest price (115 Euro), proximity to the Laxnes Horse Farm (where I had booked a riding excursion), and because all rooms were stated to have private bathrooms. (When I was researching hotel options, I found that many of the comparably-priced hotel rooms in Reykjavik required sharing a bathroom.) The hotel website made it easy to book a transfer from the airport, which required stopping in Reykjavik and transferring to a smaller van for the 15-20 minute ride out to Mosfellsbaer, which went quickly since I had a pleasant conversation with the driver and learned a bit about the Icelandic language.

My room at Hotel Laxnes was roomy and quiet, with a double bed plus an additional twin bed, and a clean bathroom. It was possible to hear cars on the nearby road with the windows open, but I was not bothered with them closed (and road traffic at night was minimal). The curtains completely blocked the light, which is very important with the midnight sun! The wifi worked very well. The bed linens and pillows were not so nice, and the decor was quite minimal, but everything was perfectly adequate for a 3-star hotel. In my experience, 4-star Icelandic hotel rooms are not all that different. The Icelandic ethos emphasizes practicality, cleanliness and functionality, and Hotel Laxnes lived up to that standard. Breakfast was simple but tasty and had reasonable variety for me; I really enjoyed the oatmeal and loved the Icelandic yogurt. I didn't go into Reykjavik (other than for my transfers to and from the airport) but it would have been easy on the city bus, which stops right outside the hotel.

The area right around the hotel looked pretty minimal in terms of dinner options (a KFC and grocery store were readily visible, at least). I decided to walk along the coast, where I discovered a lovely paved trail that leads past fields of charming horses and borders a beautiful and absolutely enormous golf course. The vistas from every step of the long trail are absolutely magnificent: the cove and ocean beyond, dotted with islands; the stark, steep, barren hills across the water; Reykjavik glinting in the distance; abundant wildflowers, and sea birds voicing their disapproval of a human entering their realm. The summer sunset lasts for hours, and casts long, dramatic shadows. The walk had a pleasant feeling of solitude without being isolated, as small groups of golfers were playing late into the evening (and there were a few locals out for a stroll or walking dogs). I had a tasty pizza for dinner at the golf clubhouse (the pizza was dotted with cream cheese in the Icelandic fashion, which sounds weird but actually isn't bad) and walked back along the same ocean trail. The walk was several miles, but very unique and pleasant, and I would recommend it for reasonably fit travelers.

Hotel Laxnes serves as the local tavern, and when I returned from dinner, I found a small group of Icelanders had gathered to watch the World Cup, which was being projected on the wall for a truly large screen viewing experience. I had an enjoyable conversation with the bartender and locals at the bar. Generally speaking, Icelanders can be a bit reserved, but are friendly enough and happy to talk about their unique little island (in typically perfect English) with interested visitors. From my few interactions, people seemed to be well educated, interesting, and engaged with the world. The gregarious hotel manager (who is of English extraction and has an interesting history) went out of his way to equip me with an electrical converter and booked me a return bus to the airport (and even let me use his computer to print my boarding pass). He sets a friendly, welcoming tone for the hotel, and was helpful in recommending a short walk along the river past the nearby speck of a village so I could best utilize a spare hour. He also supplied good conversation while I waited for my bus.

One more thought: I recommend reading a book by Nobel-laureate Haldor Laxness, who lived out his long and productive life in Laxnes (the rural part of Mosfellsbaer; he even adopted Laxness as his surname in honor of the homestead). His home is now preserved as a museum, and is a short drive from the hotel in the idyllic, desolately beautiful countryside. I wasn't able to make it to the museum, but I think fans of his work would enjoy it. The Laxnes Horse Farm is right near his home/museum (and is actually the site of his childhood home) so I was able to appreciate (from horseback!) the environment that served as a backdrop and inspiration for his work.

Alesund, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Had a nice stay with my family late spring , quick effecient check in .rooms were clean n well looked after. From the hotel we could easily do day trips, especially enjoyed Blue Lagoon trip which is a fun trip , enjoyed the coffee shop there as it was a lunch time. trip to the Glacier was also nice but lenghty. Dinning ecommendations made by Hotel were pretty good, Laxness horse ridding tour was enjoyed by the whole family.
hopefully we can come do the northern lights tour next trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Laxnes? Share your experiences!