“The place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Mosfellsbaer
Mosfellsbær
“The place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I came, I stayed, and went without hitch. Laxness Hotel is very conveniently placed for access to Reykjavik and the north and well priced compared to the city. The rooms and hotel facilities were excellent and staff warm, friendly and multilingual. The locale also has everything one could want.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

462 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Hotels in Reykjavik can be quite pricey, especially in the summer. Having stayed in Reykjavik before, I opted to spend my one-night stay in Iceland outside the city to have a different experience, and chose Hotel Laxnes based on the positive reviews, relatively modest price (115 Euro), proximity to the Laxnes Horse Farm (where I had booked a riding excursion), and because all rooms were stated to have private bathrooms. (When I was researching hotel options, I found that many of the comparably-priced hotel rooms in Reykjavik required sharing a bathroom.) The hotel website made it easy to book a transfer from the airport, which required stopping in Reykjavik and transferring to a smaller van for the 15-20 minute ride out to Mosfellsbaer, which went quickly since I had a pleasant conversation with the driver and learned a bit about the Icelandic language.

My room at Hotel Laxnes was roomy and quiet, with a double bed plus an additional twin bed, and a clean bathroom. It was possible to hear cars on the nearby road with the windows open, but I was not bothered with them closed (and road traffic at night was minimal). The curtains completely blocked the light, which is very important with the midnight sun! The wifi worked very well. The bed linens and pillows were not so nice, and the decor was quite minimal, but everything was perfectly adequate for a 3-star hotel. In my experience, 4-star Icelandic hotel rooms are not all that different. The Icelandic ethos emphasizes practicality, cleanliness and functionality, and Hotel Laxnes lived up to that standard. Breakfast was simple but tasty and had reasonable variety for me; I really enjoyed the oatmeal and loved the Icelandic yogurt. I didn't go into Reykjavik (other than for my transfers to and from the airport) but it would have been easy on the city bus, which stops right outside the hotel.

The area right around the hotel looked pretty minimal in terms of dinner options (a KFC and grocery store were readily visible, at least). I decided to walk along the coast, where I discovered a lovely paved trail that leads past fields of charming horses and borders a beautiful and absolutely enormous golf course. The vistas from every step of the long trail are absolutely magnificent: the cove and ocean beyond, dotted with islands; the stark, steep, barren hills across the water; Reykjavik glinting in the distance; abundant wildflowers, and sea birds voicing their disapproval of a human entering their realm. The summer sunset lasts for hours, and casts long, dramatic shadows. The walk had a pleasant feeling of solitude without being isolated, as small groups of golfers were playing late into the evening (and there were a few locals out for a stroll or walking dogs). I had a tasty pizza for dinner at the golf clubhouse (the pizza was dotted with cream cheese in the Icelandic fashion, which sounds weird but actually isn't bad) and walked back along the same ocean trail. The walk was several miles, but very unique and pleasant, and I would recommend it for reasonably fit travelers.

Hotel Laxnes serves as the local tavern, and when I returned from dinner, I found a small group of Icelanders had gathered to watch the World Cup, which was being projected on the wall for a truly large screen viewing experience. I had an enjoyable conversation with the bartender and locals at the bar. Generally speaking, Icelanders can be a bit reserved, but are friendly enough and happy to talk about their unique little island (in typically perfect English) with interested visitors. From my few interactions, people seemed to be well educated, interesting, and engaged with the world. The gregarious hotel manager (who is of English extraction and has an interesting history) went out of his way to equip me with an electrical converter and booked me a return bus to the airport (and even let me use his computer to print my boarding pass). He sets a friendly, welcoming tone for the hotel, and was helpful in recommending a short walk along the river past the nearby speck of a village so I could best utilize a spare hour. He also supplied good conversation while I waited for my bus.

One more thought: I recommend reading a book by Nobel-laureate Haldor Laxness, who lived out his long and productive life in Laxnes (the rural part of Mosfellsbaer; he even adopted Laxness as his surname in honor of the homestead). His home is now preserved as a museum, and is a short drive from the hotel in the idyllic, desolately beautiful countryside. I wasn't able to make it to the museum, but I think fans of his work would enjoy it. The Laxnes Horse Farm is right near his home/museum (and is actually the site of his childhood home) so I was able to appreciate (from horseback!) the environment that served as a backdrop and inspiration for his work.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Alesund, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had a nice stay with my family late spring , quick effecient check in .rooms were clean n well looked after. From the hotel we could easily do day trips, especially enjoyed Blue Lagoon trip which is a fun trip , enjoyed the coffee shop there as it was a lunch time. trip to the Glacier was also nice but lenghty. Dinning ecommendations made by Hotel were pretty good, Laxness horse ridding tour was enjoyed by the whole family.
hopefully we can come do the northern lights tour next trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This hotel is an excellent choice when staying in Iceland. The staff are very friendly and rooms are very clean. During the day we chose tours from the brochures at reception but not without consulting a very friendly member of staff at the front desk who was very helpful and always knew the best place to visit on the right days. We also came up against a Icelandair strike on the day of our departure and the staff where first class in helping us contact the airline and even though they where busy we got to keep our room for one more night. All in all brilliant hotel and excellent service whatever you require and would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

The hotel reception is really helpful for booking trips and advice on helping us when our flight was cancelled. The rooms are good and so are the views. Easy to get to from the airport and check in was fine even at 2 in the morning. Good location as there are a few shops close by.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Just outside the city, nearby bus stop is convenient enough to travel in and out no problem. Very friendly staff, will help with signing up for tours and providing tips and ideas for activities. Nice locations within walking distance of hotel. The stay in Iceland was definitely enhanced by staying in this particular hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

An awesome hotel. Nice breakfast [esp. eggs thats my favourite :) ] and our room is comfy.
Very easy to go Reykjavik as the bus stop is just right there (number 15) and it only take about 20 mins from hotel to city.
Mountain view is the most memorable thing in Laxnes and we had a great sleep for 7 nights. The room is clean and feel like we are home. Though its outside the city you can still find restaurants close by hotel, e.g KFC, Bonus, etc. With 15 mins walk you will see a restaurant (I forgot the name) and 10% off offers to those from Laxnes.
Ask Shaun for help if you need assistance, he is helpful (and of course, other staff too)and hey Shaun, thanks again for saving my phone ;)

Room Tip: We live room 10 and the mountain view is incrediably beautiful!