“Loved exploring here” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Private Tour
$89*
and up
Private Tour: Huanglongxi Ancient Town and...
4.0 of 5 stars 108 Reviews
Type: Reservations, Cultural
Bangkok
146 attraction reviews
“Loved exploring here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Huanglongxi Ancient Town is a bit of a drive from Chengdu, something like an hour and a half. It is not a good trip if you're not well rested, as you will do plenty of walking once you get there.
Huanglongxi is an absolutely charming place. A small stream runs through the walking street area of this lovely town. On both sides of it are sidewalks that go past traditional Sichuan shop houses that sell everything from local delicacies to more kitschy souvenir items. But that's not all. Another charm of Huanglongxi is that it sits next to 2 rivers, so there is a lot of great scenery to take in. Yes, it is a touristy place, but who doesn't want to have a stroll through this town, which is both traditional and modern at the same time. I admire the local government for being able to maintain a remarkable preservation effort of centuries-old buildings and public areas. It is a testament to how correct care for cultural heritage can have benefits for the local communities of today. Huanglongxi apparently does a thriving tourist business that depends heavily on giving the customers what they come for - a step back in time to when the local shops and not shopping malls were the focal points in one's life.
For me, the best thing about visiting Huanglongxi is to go beyond the main tourist congregation areas in the town and venture along the more quieter alleys and lanes that sit behind the town center. There, I saw people just relaxing in their shops and homes, playing Mahjong or preparing goods for sale. On those small streets, you can take slow walks and just soak in the atmosphere.
I guess many people would miss Huanglongxi because they would spend more time in Chengdu city, which is a shame. It is one of the few places in China worth going out of your way for.

Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Feel the ancient town of China”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Enjoyed the walk and visit this place with my husband and friends.
Feel the ancient town of China with may souveniers and foods shops along the way.
I like the most is the stream that divided the 'town' into 2 and ended up in a river.
For those travell with young children, bring along a swim suit or extra cloths for changing as most of the children will like and insist on deep themselves into the stream, specially when the weather is very hot..
Many shops availble to rent the traditional chinese clothes and taking your pictures for some fee..

Visited August 2013
Kettering, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
“a great day out. A bit like Bognor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is as close as the chinese get to letting their hair down. No stag parties or drunken youths, but, you can actually get a beer here and watch tourists drift past, without anyone batting an eyebrow. No kiss me quick hatsthough. It is about 40 minutes from Shuangliu , therefore about an hour and a half from Chengdu (35 kilometres). The buses are every half hour from Shuangliu. GO EARLY! This is my best tip. As the day progresses the crowds thicken, and the buses get more crowded.Its name means Yellow dragon city, and guess what someone saw here over a thousand years ago? 219 AD to be exact.
Encircled by 2 rivers, with one lake, full of streams with kids getting soaked therein, hundreds of shops, hundreds of restaurants, one massage parlour,and several hotels.There are young chinese couples wandering round with garlands of flowers in their hair, oh no not the sixties! Half a dozen quiet little temples, some gorgeous, genuinely old, and genuinely not so old imitation buildings, little alleys, and very clean. It makes no bones about being vtouristy. I stayed the night, the tourists all disappeared and had a great meal out. The hotel cost less than 100 yuan and was clean and comfortable. It meant that next morning I had the place to myself, and left on an empty bus!

Visited June 2013
Navi Mumbai, India
7 attraction reviews
“Excellent Experience of Ancient China”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was my excellent experience in Chengdu. Me and my wife went along with 2 more couples to this place on weekend. My friends previously told me, this place , you can experience ancient china. I thought, it was like some model or small museum.
But this place is entire Town. We took around 40 mins , drive from Chengdu to this place by Road. Roads are good. No problem you can drive at 80 kmph - 100kmph.
After reaching, First thing We saw, beautiful flower hats. We all taken Flower hats for our wife's and started day in Huanlongxi ancient town.
There is no Ticket for this town, From parking lot you can directly walk inside town. You can rent bicycle too, If you want.
After entering, Wow , Lot of people inside and you will feel that you are standing in ancient china. All Shops, Roads , Bridges , everything gives you feel of ancient China.
We enjoyed good food inside, sweet dishes, Dry fruits. You can taste many flavours of traditional Chinese foods, like fruit candy, Sugar candy in different designs, many more.
It is hard to explain here everything, But the experience is fully like , you are in ancient china.
There is a lake inside Huanlong , It is known as Huanlong river. Besides that tea house, we have taken Tea and relaxed for 1 hr.
For exploring this place you need to walking is better, we spent 1 full day in this town.
The most good thing, What I like is, there are shops inside where you can rent traditional Chinese clothes and change and take pictures near lake side in just 25RMB. Its a good experience for International Tourists.
I taken my wife pictures in one of costume. Which we selected.
Overall Excellent place to spend a weekend. I recommend it, when you in Chengdu.

Visited May 2013
Prague, Czech Republic
62 attraction reviews
“Another "ancient town"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My Chinese friend took me there one day, we took bus from centre of Chengdu and transfered to another bus by the new campus of Sichuan University. It took us about 2 hours to get there (and 3 yuan per person). That day wes sunny, so there were loads of people.

It's really nice and pretty but super touristy and...fake. There are few real ancient buildings and temples which are pretty but that's about it.

If you are there I recommend trying Yigenmian 一根面, which is a noodle dish, where you get only one super long noodle. It was yummy and the price was reasonable. Just ask about it and I think people will help you to find your way there.

I wouldn't go again, but if you haven't visited any of these "ancient towns" it might be wort a visit especially on a nice summer day!

Visited September 2012