“A good, large hotel set in attractive grounds” 4 of 5 stars

Eastwood Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mansfield Road, Eastwood NG16 3SS, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eastwood
Halifax West Yorks
“A good, large hotel set in attractive grounds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Recently stayed 2 nights at the Eastwood Hall Hotel as part of the '2 nights - dinner on the first night deal' from Superbreak.
This is a large hotel set in spacious, well cared for grounds in a convenient location. The whole complex is large and a little confusing on first visit, but it is a like a 'haven of peace' set in what maybe considered 'downtown' drab surroundings - a surprising find.
The bedrooms were clean and had all the facilities expected with an attractive peaceful view out of the window. The TV was a little outdated and the there was a distinct lack of daylight, but this was not too much of a problem
The evening meal was very good with plenty of choice of quality food from a varied, interesting menu - service was polite.
Breakfast was also of a good standard. with everything you would need on the menu. The whole dining experience was enhanced by the receptionist on the dining room, Susan - whose friendly, caring manner made everybody feel welcome!
The hotel is conveniently located 8 miles from Nottingham - suggest you drive to Phoenix Park (about 4 miles away) then use the excellent modern tramway which glides you into the centre in about 20 minutes (£3.50 day return) - no charge for parking.
Overall, a good hotel with many pluses and I would look at the chain of 'Principal Hayley' again in future bookings it was excellent value for money.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to face on to quiet grounds. NB Do as the signs suggest - book in reception first b...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
H0telGeneralManager, General Manager at Eastwood Hall, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Eric_sykes

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, as the venue is in the middle of 26 acres of landscaped grounds most certainly makes for a “haven of peace”

I have passed your kind comments regarding Susan on to her and I know she will be very grateful for your appreciation.

I would like to thank you once again for your feedback, and hope that you will return to Eastwood Hall again in the future.

Andrew Wright, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Good clean hotel, staff were excellent. Pool, gym and spa were clean, room was comfortable. Excellent value 4 star facilities for bed & breakfast prices,however you have to remember you are in a conference centre and some rooms will be a long way from reception and sometimes parties will be taking place. We were there and they had a 18th, but it was well done and not any inconvenience. I also used the snooker table, good enough for a bad player and the bar facilities. The reception had made us aware of the party on arrival and offered us a room at the back of the hotel, we chose a closer one and had a peaceful nights sleep.breakfast was buffet style and had everything you could want. We will return when visiting Nottingham as the facilities are great and it was a few pounds dearer than a travel inn

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
H0telGeneralManager, Front Office Manager at Eastwood Hall, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Geoff,

Thank you for your review.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found the venue clean and the staff to be excellent.

I was pleased to see that you were offered a room a little further away from the Birthday party, and even though you choose a room closer to reception you were not disturbed by the event taking place.

Hopefully on your next stay you will have the opportunity to brush up on the snooker skills.

Once again thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again at Eastwood Hall in the future.

Lancashire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Despite asking for a quiet room for myself and my two year old daughter, my room was situated over a function room which was hosting a wedding. The noise was heard very clearly in my room until the early hours of the morning. Furthermore, my room was situated close to the main access to the stairs and in between many of the wedding party guests. The guests were clearly in high spirits, constantly running up and down the corridor screaming and using very choice language.

On checkout I mentioned this to the receptionist, who claimed I did not book a quiet room and offered no apology. I found her rude and dismissive.

I find it astounding that having asked for a cot, and despite the incorrect claim I did not book a quiet room, common sense would suggest a quiet room would be appropriate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
H0telGeneralManager, General Manager at Eastwood Hall, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Debbie

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disturbance you experienced during your stay due to the noise caused by other guests staying in the hotel. All of our bedrooms are located in a separate part of the building from our event space, which normally provides a much quieter nights sleep for our guests. On the night of your stay we did have two wedding parties in the venue.

I have reviewed your reservation and can see that unfortunately due to the bedroom type that was booked, these rooms are all located in the same area of the building. I have spoken to our reception team to ensure that moving forward they do advise guests that have booked this room type and are not attending the an event, that they may wish to change their room type in order to be located further away from main building to avoid the likelihood of being disturbed by noise from events taking place in the venue.

I have also reviewed the special requests that we received with the reservation, and unfortunately there was no mention of the request for the quiet room. I have passed this problem to our IT team so that they can look at why your request was not passed from our website to the hotel. I do take on board your comments that we should have been more proactive regarding providing a quiet room as you had requested a cot. This is something that I am currently reviewing with our reception team.

Harlow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Have stayed here for business on a few occasions ....

The Hotel itself is nice, the meeting rooms are spacious and airy BUT I usually find the bedrooms a problem!!

My last visit in September 2012 was the first time I haven't found hairs in the bed linen and stains on the bed cover ...(absolutely true)!!!! However whilst this time the bed linen was clean, the card lock system played up on several occasions.. Meaning after finally getting to my room on arrival, after a long walk through the corridors and finding the key didn't work, I had to walk all the way back to reception with suitcase, laptop bag etc...

Also on our arrival the first morning, myself and a colleague decided to have breakfast before the conference started. We had left home at 6am and were therefore quite hungry when we arrived. I explained to the waitress that we would happily sign for the breakfasts & asked that it be added to our room bills... However the waitress suggested we go NOW and pay first at reception. I argued that we weren't planning to 'dine and dash' ... There were a total of approx 70 of us booked for three days .. we weren't going anywhere and we didn't have time to walk back to Reception, pay, then return, have our breakfast and get to the conference!! Reluctantly she let us in.

However we then had to chase the waitress for a clean table... Then ask for cutlery ... Then ask for tea .. Then ask for toast !! Not a great start to our three day stay!!

Everyone commented that whilst the food was great throughout the stay, the service was distinctly lacking. Each morning at breakfast there was hardly ever enough tables set and ready for the rolling arrival of diners. They didn't appear short staffed but still had to be chased on several occasions for clean cutlery, glasses or ask for tables to be cleared!!

Suffice to say after three or four stays at this Hotel over the past couple of years, I dread if we are booked into Eastwood Hall!!

Room Tip: Book elsewhere!!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
H0telGeneralManager, General Manager at Eastwood Hall, responded to this review, February 6, 2013

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read that your recent stay did not meet your expectations; however I was pleased to read that you found the overall venue nice and the meeting room spacious.

I was pleased to read that you found the bedroom to be clean, and I do apologise for the problems with experienced with your bedroom key. We do have in house phones on all of the bedroom corridors that allow you to call reception, this would of allowed us to come to you to solve the problem rather than you needing to walk back and forth to reception.

I have held a meeting with our Restaurant team to discuss the points you have raised regarding the service at Breakfast and can assure you that the necessary retraining and changes to our procedures have been made to ensure that the problems you have highlighted are rectified.

I have passed your positive comments regarding the food to our Kitchen team.

Licolnshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Excellent stay over New Year..the Gala Dinner was superb ...highly recommended for future New Year parties...the staff excellent and very friendly...room was very good heating needs to be sorted out badly timed.... but bed comfy ..room nicely furnished and clean

Room Tip: Complained that radiator in my room was cold...room changed without hesitation so dont be afraid to...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us to celebrate the start of 2013

Paisley, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Walk from reception to room very long especially after a long journey. Tap in bathroom did not work and tiles were loose on floor. Had to walk to reception and back -another long trek - to get key to new room.
Breakfast okay apart from terrible orange juice - why do hotels put out the cheapest possible juice? As I had flight to catch, couldn't wait for restaurant to open in the evening but might have been better waiting as food ordered at the Bar took an age to arrive and was nothing special.
The spa was small but adequate.

• Stayed December 2012
H0telGeneralManager, General Manager at Eastwood Hall, responded to this review, December 24, 2012

Thank you for your review.

I was disappointed to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. The bedrooms are at the rear of the hotel, which does have the benefit that you do not get disturbed by noise from other areas of the building. These rooms are able to be accessed via the rear car park in order to reduce the distance you need to walk with your luggage.

I have asked our Maintenance team to ensure the points you have raised regarding the bathroom are addressed as a priority. We would have been able to bring your new room key down to the first bedroom you were allocated if you had called us from your bedroom rather than walking back to reception to ask for the room move in person.

I have passed your comments regarding the orange juice to our Food & Beverage team, so that we are able to review the quality that is offered when we carry out our next review of our suppliers.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed here last night, clean hotel with helpful reception and restaurant staff. The food in the restaurant was of good quality and free parking was a bonus.
Downside, my do not disturb hanging outside the room was completely ignored and was awoken at around 8:00am after a long day and night I was looking forward to a lie in as I didn't have to be at my next appointment until lunchtime. I thought the price of a pint was a bit pricey at around £4.50, and the starters in the restaurant was around the £7:00, although nice , again I thought a little pricey.
Would I stay again? For a works stopover, yes. With a partner on a romantic break, No.
Due to the hotels layout being like a maze to find your room and having a corporate feel to it.

• Stayed December 2012

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you found the venue clean, and the reception and restaurant staff were helpful.

I have passed your comments on to the Housekeeping team as we should be respecting guest wishes and not disturbing them, especially when you were displaying your do not disturb sign.

We are always reviewing the pricing of our food and beverages, and we are on par with other hotels of a similar standard within the area, but I will consider your comments when we change our menus early in 2013.

Andrew Wright, General Manager

Been to Eastwood Hall? Share your experiences!