I was traveling from the US to Milan for business and had a weekend to explore by myself. I decided to get out of the city and Lake Como seemed like an appropriate weekend excursion due to its proximity to Milan. After searching where to stay on the lake, I found a reference to the Hotel Orso Bruno in a NY Times travel article from 2006 (link at bottom of review).
I was looking for a quiet, affordable, and accessible hotel where I could relax and also explore the lake. The Hotel Orso Bruno exceeded all of my expectations from the point that I reached out about a reservation, through check out. I first reached out to inquire about a reservation through the Hotel's website. I wanted to know which room to reserve for a single person and the recommended way to get there and back to Milan. Antonia responded the same day with a full outline of room options and travel information. The information was extremely useful as I had no familiarity with traveling in this part of Europe.
Traveling to the hotel from Milan was very easy: train from Milano Centrale to Como, and then took a bus up to Carate Urio. All-in-all, it took about 1.5 hours to get from Milano Centrale to the hotel on the lake.
My room at the hotel was very nice, and had an unobstructed view of the lake. The hotel has a nice restaurant, bar and cafe, and its location on the lake was great too. Walking south less than 5 minutes will get you to a small beach, and walking 15 minutes north or south will get you to the quiet neighboring villages.
One of the other big perks of the hotel was that it is directly across the street from a ferry landing. The ferry picks up there and will take you to any of the many beautiful sights on the lake, including Bellagio and Como.
I highly recommend the Hotel Orso Bruno to anyone looking for a good value in a beautiful setting!
New York Times article referencing hotel: http://travel.nytimes.com/2006/06/25/travel/25goingto.html?_r=0
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- L'albergo lo scoprite dopo infinite curve dagli scorci sempre diversi ed emozionanti, arrivate accostando comodamente l’auto sul piazzale di fronte e scendendo vi accorgete dell’incantevole posizione di questo piccolo albergo che si specchia orgogliosamente nel lago ed è avvolto dal rassicurante abbraccio delle montagne. Se arrivate di mattina il colore predominante è azzurro dalle sfumature d’oro, il tramonto invece è rosa.Ad accogliervi troverete sempre noi e sempre un sorriso e dopo un celere check in potrete andare direttamente in camera o rilassarvi un attimo nel nostro bar o nel nostro salottino sbirciando attraverso le vetrate l’animata quotidianità che si svolge al di fuori. Dicono che non ci sia panorama più affascinante del lago visto dal lago e per i nostri clienti più curiosi l’imbarco della navigazione proprio di fronte l’albergo sarà un’ irrinunciabile comodità per una gita in battello. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Hotel Orso Bruno reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Piccolo Hotel Carate Urio
- Hotel Orso Bruno Carate Urio, Lake Como, Italy