“Weekend break 24th May - 27th May 2014” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mottram Hall

You added Mottram Hall to your Saves list
Mottram Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wilmslow Road, Mottram St. Andrew SK10 4QT, England (Formerly De Vere Mottram Hall)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Weekend break 24th May - 27th May 2014”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

A wonderful hotel set in amazing grounds, with a great golf course. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the meals very good. The room was spacious and overlooked the golf course. The sunsets were beautiful.

Room Tip: Room 207 overlooked the golf course and the views of the sunsets were stunning.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear David F,

Thank you for your recent post on Tripadvisor.

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Mottram Hall and that you had the opportunity to play on our golf course.

We hope that you are able to return to Mottram Hall in the near future.

James Stewart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I can't make my mind up about this hotel.

We booked it to see if it would be a regular hotel we would use as my husband works in Warrington. We haven't stayed in a De Vere hotel before but have heard good reports so decided to give it a try.

We booked a suite for one night B&B & then added a spa treatment & a meal. Despite a very miserable day weather wise & horrendous traffic getting to the place the grand frontage of the hotel viewed from the long drive is quite something!

We checked in smoothly & found our very nice suite at the end of a long corridor.

Now this is where I can't make my mind up!
The hotel is fantastic for......

Location, grounds, view & garden including a very pretty lake with geese & their babies!
Fantastic too for the friendliness of every member of staff & I mean everyone!
The spa is probably one of the best I've been in with a fantastic pool & thermal pools & saunas.

However, I was a little disappointed with the restaurant. I feel it lacked a bit of "class"! No table cloths, just wooden tables even though the staff, food & service was very good it warranted a more "grander" surroundings!

I see what other guests say about paper thin walls! We could hear our neighbours as if they were in the room with us during the evening but as we where on the end of a long corridor we had a very quiet night so would defo recommend the terrace suite!

I was disappointed that there wasn't a "turn down service" . Not that I need my duvet turning down but refreshing the tea tray, clean cups & emptying the bins would have been nice as we only had one milk for tea in the morning between us! I know I probably could have asked for some extra milk & tea bags from reception but I was in bed before I realised.

The bathrobes in the room have seen better days too & one had a sticky label attached to it with writing on!

Our room had patio doors to the outside which was lovely but oh they did need a bang to pull them closed so you definitely heard that when other guests closed their patio doors!

The hotel offers free wifi which is a massive plus!! So many places you have to go to the public rooms to use the wifi or even pay!

Finally, breakfast wasn't the best. Again service & friendly staff fantastic but I felt it was only catering for the business guests that eat & go! But then again it is a very large hotel so how does one cater for a large volume of breakfast guests? I found the hot food a little cool to eat & I felt there should have been a few milk choices like skimmed, semi or full fat & if poss soya milk! But that is just my personal choice!

Would I stay there again? Yes.....because the spa is so worth it & the staff are really friendly & make you feel welcome but I might be a bit particular about which room I would stop in! Value for money? Yes! I didn't think our whole stay was expensive including the spa & meal but just right!

If you go then the spa is a real must with the pool & a good choice of treatments! The ladies are really lovely!

Room Tip: Terrace suite or room at the end of a corridor!
Dear Celine C,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that there are certain aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. I am happy to hear though that you felt the team across the resort were friendly. Thank you for these comments.

I hope that you do choose to return to Mottram Hall in the future.

Wesham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

When you arrive at the hotel it's a definite wow!! Beautiful building in stunning grounds, we were really impressed.
We booked one of the Chambre Unique rooms for our stay, we read some good reviews on these rooms and initially were really pleased, the room was beautifully presented, very clean, a bit on the snug size but the pillows and duvet were really lush and we figured the room was adequate in size until it came to shower time and getting ready for the bar!!! Absolutely no room at all, we were constantly moving out of each other's way!!! I really think De Vere have gone for quantity here and packed as many rooms into this property as possible which compromises them on a couple of levels.... Room size...just too small........reception, check in is very tight for space and gets full very quickly, also everyone hears every moment of your check in, including how much you've paid ....sound proofing between the rooms is atrocious and you can hear EVERYTHING!! We were woken at 5am by a very noisy couple....and the rooms have no temperature control at all so we were really hot through the night and had to get the fan out of the wardrobe, so a good nights sleep was nigh on impossible!

All that said, we probably would stay here again just off the surroundings and the spa. The pool is a little shallow for my liking at just 1.2 m but the various saunas and steam rooms are fab and the outside tub was lovely! As we had been woken so early we took to the spa at 6.30am and had the outside tub to ourselves once Matt had finally opened it at 7am! Changing rooms pretty clean and they provide towels etc, really friendly service on reception, not to be missed in our opinion.

We spent some time in the cocktail bar, the staff here are superb, nothing is too much trouble however they had no limes for mojhito's after my first one, they also had no raspberries for cocktails but replaced with blackberries, quick thinking staff but they should have been better set up! Raspberries are readily available and limes, well there's no excuse for not having limes....is there?!! Bravo to the team though.

Lastly, then I'll shut up... Breakfast... Great quality ingredients but for goodness sake, how chilly was it! Nothing on my plate was remotely warm, sort it out De Vere this really needs to be better. Once again however, staff were great, really attentive, a credit to you.

Overall we liked it here but would probably update to a suite next time just to get some space in the room!!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Jo C,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback in regard to your recent stay at Mottram Hall.

I am sorry to hear that there were certain aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations but I am pleased that you enjoyed your time in the leisure club and that the staff were able to make your stay memorable.

I do hope that you choose to return to Mottram Hall in the future.

London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

A lovely building, stayed there recently for a wedding reception. No complaints about the reception itself but the room we stayed in (332) could certainly have been improved.

Some parts that were more shabby than shabby chic included a bathroom door that didn't close (note not just not lock - actually didn't close properly...sometimes you actually do need a bit of alone time on the loo). You could sometimes wedge it shut but it would pop open a few minutes later. The loo was right by the door. Nice. Have to say that Travelodge, for a fraction of the price has never yet disappointed us there...

Hole in the middle of the bed sheets - about 1cm x 1cm. Not a massive deal but for the price we're paying I do expect better than that. Again Travelodge...

View - well, pretty bad, simply a brick wall and part of the roof we think was above the kitchens - industrial type view. Not massively happy but not a huge complaint really as I know not every room can have a view. For the amount of money the wedding reception cost I do think they could have arranged for the wedding party rooms to have a view (was booked with a code so they would have known). Was surprised to find that the actual bridal suite didn't have a view over the golf course either but slightly better than our brick wall think it was trees/building.

Room was incredibly hot when we checked in, we had to turn off the radiator immediately and open the window as much as possible but it was probably above the kitchens area as it stayed very hot all night. Seems to be a common issue as many of the other guests in the same area said it was too hot as well. Not ideal as this can give me headaches. If I was staying longer than one night or returning I'd have to change this.

Minor niggles but worth mentioning...loo roll holder was hanging off the wall, screws and wall plugs visible. Bit shabby. Dead fly on the windowsill. Small stain on window voile (although really only obvious when moved so I could breathe some fresh air). Just things that make you wonder at the price tag. Wouldn't complain if it were cheaper but if I'm paying for good quality I expect good quality.

Pluses - furniture was nice. Good selection of teas/coffees - appreciated. Nice looking bathroom bottles of shampoo/soap etc although we didn't use them. Breakfast was really good - plenty of food options and good quality.

Overall - would save money and book elsewhere. Try a Hilton hotel or Travelodge if on a budget!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms from about 317-340 as they all seem to stay very hot, think they are above the kitchens
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Rachel S,

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback in regard to your stay at Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with your room and that they were maintenance issues. Please be assured that our team have been into the room and rectified these points.

If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact Isara Fraser, Front Office Manager via email on Isara.fraser@devere-hotels.com and she will be able to assist you.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention and we do apologise.

Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

It’s a short drive from the international airport (MAN; ~40€). Advance request for early check-in was honored even though I arrived at 0800. The hotel is a converted country estate house. It was a maze to get to the room, up a flight of stairs, down narrow winding halls, down a flight of stairs, with a wrong turn to two on the way. The carpeting is showing it’s age, as are all the windows, which assure plenty for fresh air exchanges, even when shut tight. Bathroom was clean and contemporary. Bed was very comfortable. Despite the fact that much of it is made of stone, there was a surprising amount of outdoor and next door noise. No problem for me, I was dog tired throughout my stay. Dinner at the Carrington Grill was not exceptional but good and filling. Same for the Claret Jug, which offers somewhat more casual environment at the clubhouse. The Cocktail Bar & Library felt “odd”, though all was overlooked after a round or two. Selection of libations in all 3 is good. I might stay here again, as it was convenient to my meetings and is in an idyllic part of the Isles. If you’re without a car (as I was) and looking for diversion away from the hotel (I was not), this may not be the place for you. Aside from communing with nature (and it is at its loveliest here, in the Spring) there doesn’t appear to be anything around for many, many miles.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear UglyBuffalo,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay here at Mottram Hall and that you found that all the team were friendly and efficient throughout the stay, assisting you with checking in early.

We hope to welcome you back to Mottram Hall in the future.

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We,a group of eight adults( M.Lymer Group) have just returned from a two night stay at Mottram Hall with four rounds of golf in the three days we were there. The golf course itself is a test for all golfers with a pleasant front nine leading to a long hard back nine which can prove very testing indeed. The hotel was clean and well sfaffed,the food which we sampled in both the main restaurant and the Claret Jug was tasty and well presented. Throughout our time in the Claret Jug we were impressed by all the staff but Natalie (supervisor) and Joe dealt with our group and ironed out a minor problem straight away to the satisfaction of everyone.They were pleasant, made conversation and contributed to our experience of the hotel.
The room 823 was clean and tidy but on the second day we only had one bath towel to use and our tea making items had not been restocked.This was rectified straight away when we informed reception.There was building work taking place outside our window but it has to be done at some time so it was luck of the draw.
Overall very enjoyable and would visit again

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear bigj0hn05,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am so pleased to hear all your group had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found all the team to be helpful and efficient when dealing with some of the issues you experienced during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Looking forward to another stay at Mottram Hall for my birthday and our anniversary on Sunday 25th May.
Stayed plenty of times now but always look forward to another visit and relax in the spa. The staff are lovely and hotel & grounds beautiful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear dee61,

I am so pleased that you have decided to return to Mottram hall to celebrate your birthday and anniversary. We hope you have another relaxing and enjoyable stay with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

James Stewart

Been to Mottram Hall? Share your experiences!