“Beautiful view, quiet venue, comes highly recommended by #2 restaurant on Vancouver Island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ambraden Pond

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cobble Hill
Ambraden Pond
You added Ambraden Pond to your Saves list
971 Aros Road, Cobble Hill, British Columbia V0R 1L4 , Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Cobble Hill B&B and Inns
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a single night to celebrate our anniversary. This B&B was recommended by the 2nd best place to eat on Vancouver Island. Because we appreciate excellent food, we took their advice and booked our stay at Ambraden Pond.

We booked in late afternoon, played a couple of small boardgames by a wood-burning fire overlooking the pond and the golf course beyond and enjoyed a glass of Merlot. Later, we took a taxi (approximately $40 each way) to Shawnagan Lake and enjoyed an elegant a 4 course dinner at Amuse Bistro http://www.amusebistro.com/.

The B&B hosts Joan and Chris were welcoming and very friendly. The rooms are clean and spacious with feather comforters and giant soaker tubs. Joan cooked a tasty breakfast of pear pancake, juicy sausages and supplied champagne and orange juice for our breakfast. The off season rates ($150 per night) are perfectly reasonable and well worth the stay.

Two lovely places to eat and to stay in the Cowichan Valley.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

My new husband and I found Ambraden Pond B&B on a listing of Cowichan Valley bed and breakfasts, and were immediately taken by the photos posted online and thought we'd try it out. Am I ever glad we did! Joan and Chris were so welcoming when we arrived to check in, and we were immediately made to feel right at home. Joan in particular was so excited for us about the wedding, it was really sweet! I spent the first night before the wedding at the B&B on my own so I could relax and prepare there for our big day. The bed was incredibly comfortable, and the huge soaker tub was a perfect way to unwind before the big day. In the morning Joan had cooked me an amazing breakfast, which I ate overlooking the beautiful setting - even watching fish jump in the pond! I was able to get ready for the wedding (hair, makeup and into the dress) all at the B&B, which hugely helped to cut down the stress I may have otherwise been feeling. It really helped to be preparing at a place that felt like a home away from home.

After the wedding, my husband and I came back to the B&B and were treated to a bottle of champagne left chilling for us by Joan and Chris - so thoughtful! They had also left the fireplace going for us, so we sat by the fire in the beautiful living room with our champagne and wound down after our big day. What an amazing way to spend our first evening as a married couple! In the morning, Joan had cooked us another fantastic breakfast, and we again got to sit and take in the view - this time complete with a mom and baby deer grazing on the property!

There are not enough incredible things to say about this B&B and about Joan and Chris, the owners. We would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone looking for a quiet, romantic place to spend a weekend on Vancouver Island. And we will DEFINITELY be back!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

We found Ambraden Pond on a list of B&B's our friends sent in an information package about their wedding. We stayed there for one night (after the wedding) and we couldn't have asked for a better stay.

Our hostess, Joan, was so kind when I told her we'd had car trouble and wouldn't be able to check in before the wedding. She was waiting up for us after the wedding festivities were over and we drove down the long, winding gravel road to their place in the pitch black and pouring rain.

The place was perfect - gorgeously decorated, serenely located (we saw the pond and peaceful surroundings in the daylight the next morning) and our bed was nice and comfy. Unfortunately I'm allergice to feathers so the down bedding wasn't ideal, but I would just bring my own pillow the next time (which I usually do but forgot to this time) and it would be perfect. The ensuite bathroom was huge and had a nice long, deep tub and separate shower, as well as a view of the pond.

Our breakfast was delicious - Joan is an incredible cook. And we had an intimate little table by the window (overlooking the pond, of course) and a cozy crackling fire beside us. We moved to the sofa to enjoy our coffee and tea while she set the table for the next couple (the bride and groom) and we saw that she'd cooked a completely different, and equally delicious-looking, breakfast for them!

We had such a nice time; we found the whole experience to be very tranquil and peaceful, and in the morning we headed back to the location of the wedding (Merridale Cideries) for our couples massage. A perfect romantic weekend!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Just a few weeks ago, my parents and I went to Victoria for my aunt's wedding. My family is from Michigan, so it was a very long trip. We love nature but aren't all that outdoorsy. For the most part, the three of us prefer nice hotels rather than bed and breakfasts, but we were absolutely amazed when we arrived at Ambraden Pond. We had to pick our jaws up off the ground.

The house is huge, modern, immaculate, stylish, urbane, chic, brand new, and totally amazing! My parents shared a bedroom in the main house, and Joan told me that I could stay in the adjoining coach house. There were rose petals leading from the foyer, all the way up the stairs, through the living room, to the bedroom, and onto the bed!!! Apparently, there was a honeymoon couple which had just left that morning.

There's also a lake right in front of the house, filled with rainbow trout. If you feed them you can see the fish jumping out of the water! Chris a Joan even built a peer that you can fish off of. Oh and they have pet ducks!!! They are completely tame but they are free to go wherever they want. You can even just walk up to them when they're sitting by the lake and pet them. I would have gone to Victoria just for that.

Breakfast was delicious too! The first morning we had some sort of English muffin with black forest ham and a single egg on top. The second morning we had the best french toast on earth. Chris and Joan are two of the most generous, good natured, and interesting people I've had the pleasure of meeting. When my father and I forgot our jackets for the wedding, Chris drove all the way to his brother's house to bring us some that we could borrow!

The area is full of farms, and there is an enormous golf course nearby. My family isn't even all that super fond of outdoor life, and we had a wonderful time. If you are interested in golfing, fishing, camping, agrotourism, photography, whatever, I can't even begin to imagine how much fun you'll have!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

My wife and I stayed at this B&B during our Honeymoon in BC. We were looking for a more modern setting rather than the traditional charming style B&B. The house is tastefully decorated and you feel like you're staying in a mini up-scale hotel in the middle of the woods.

You have a nice room with a private bath and you are welcome to spend time in the living room overlooking the pond through huge ceiling-to-floor windows. We ate a great gourmet breakfast as we watched deer graze in the meadow while a heron patiently surveyed the pond and bald eagles perched from a tall tree.

We spent the morning sunning and reading on the pond dock, listening to the sounds of nature. We spend the day checking out local vineyards, and then came back to sleep to the sounds of tree frogs through the bedroom window.

The hosts Joan and Chris were great, and I would recommend this B&B as a great nature get-away.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Victoria, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

We recently enjoyed a great two night getaway at Ambraden Pond in Cobble Hill. The B&B is on a seven-acre property surrounded by farmland and overlooks a large picturesque pond. We stayed in the “coach house” which is separate from the main house and therefore completely private, something we were looking for. The suite is spacious and clean with very tasteful décor suitable for a high-end hotel. There is a living area with a gas fireplace and an armoire with a television, a bedroom with a comfy feather bed and sitting area and a full kitchen that was supplied by the owners with coffee and goodies so we were able to make our own breakfast both mornings.

The location suited us well, close to good restaurants in Shawnigan Lake (Amuse), Maple Bay (Grapevine) and Genoa Bay (The Cafe). As well there is the True Grain bakery in Cowichan Bay. There are also many wineries nearby, including Cherry Point that is just down the road, although we didn’t have time to visit the ones that were open this time of year.

Joan the owner was very friendly and after showing us the suite left us to ourselves for a relaxing stay. We stopped into the main house as we were leaving and she kindly showed us the rest of the B&B. They have a very nice web site with some excellent photos that nicely show off the property and accommodation.

We are hoping to stay again in the summer time to visit some of the wineries, have dinner at The Masthead in Cowichan Bay and swim in the pond!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
U.S.A.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

We have stayed in B & B's all over the world and this rates as one of the best. We truly enjoyed the two nights we stayed here and wish we could have stayed longer. Joan and Chirs have a beautiful location and the house is spotless. Joan was incredibly helpful - providing wine glasses, corkscrew, a cutting board and knives for our bread and cheese. We truly felt welcomed. I asked for sweet-n-low for cofffee and Joan didn't have any...well the next morning, sure enough, she had gone out an bought some. Each morning we had wonderful fresh fruit and innovative dishes. You can't go wrong. You can tell they love what they do and they went out of their way to make you feel like special guests in their home. Can't wait to return. Oh and they are very close to some spectacular wineries.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Ambraden Pond? Share your experiences!