“A true Agriturismo with a wonderful family” 5 of 5 stars

Via Colledardo n 8, 03030 Pescosolido, Italy   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
South Africa
“A true Agriturismo with a wonderful family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

My only regret is that we couldnt stay longer! Antonello greeted us with toasted herb bruschetta and farm-made olive oil and a glass of wine produced on the farm. We were efficiently booked in, told of all the different activities available of which there were many including a cookery course, and shown to our room. Quaint, rustic but beautifuly clean with a gorgeous well equipped bathroom leading off of the large rambling porch with hammock, long wooden tables for socialising, and sitting swing as well as loads of artifacts, books etc etc. Very homely. Not all rooms are ensuite but they do their best to accommodate all requests. The meals are prepared with fresh ingredients from the farm by Maria and served by Antonella and are very sociable affairs, eaten together with the family and other guests/ volunteers. After supper, Antonella suggested making a huge bonfire in the orchard to sit around and socialise with other guests and we spent an amazing evening chatting under the stars. A fantastic experience, to be recommended if you like a chilled farm atmosphere and will definitely be repeated if we can get back to Italy. Amazingly good value for money too. Thank you Antonella

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

I love travelling around Italy and since I have been to the big cities, town and villages of Italy, this time I wanted to try something different and experience life on an organic farm. This was definitely one of the best decisions I have made. The farm was very beautiful, surrounded by lush green trees and mountains around a national park. There are animals, olive trees, fruit trees, vineyard where they make their own wine and a garden where you get fresh lettuce and vegetables everyday!

What I love about this place is that it is welcoming and accommodating to all types of travellers - couples, families and solo travellers like myself!! I have met amazing people from all over the world - the volunteers, guests and Antonello's beautiful family. After traveling for a few weeks and eating at restaurants, my favourite part of being at the farm is sitting around a table and sharing a meal with everyone in the dining room. My days were filled with laying on a hammock and reading a book, walking to the nearby town Sora, hiking up a mountain to a castle, sitting around a campfire, learning to make pasta and doing yoga. Even though I was only at the farm for 3 days, I've learned a lot about the Italian culture, food, history and people and made some great friends.

I can't wait till the next time I come back to Italy and stay as a guest or volunteer on the farm! This place will definitely be part of my next Italian adventures!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

A wonderful trip. We were looking to get our kids away from their ipods and video games, and let them see life on a farm. They and we loved it. The whole experience was wonderful. The kids were able to feed the animals in the early morning, make pasta from scratch, pet baby horses and bunnies, make pecorino cheese from scratch, riding a donkey. We drank homemade wine and had great homemade olive oil. The kids loved playing on the farm. All the guests eat together, and get to know each other well. It becomes a community experience. We loved meeting Antonello's family....Giuseppe his father is all smiles, working all day on the farm, friendly to all, and loves the kids. Maria, his mother, truly kind, cooks a great meal and helps anyone.
Guest should be aware, this isn't a bed and breakfast, and isn't meant to be....with cushy facilities and a staff on call 24/7.. it is a chance to stay with a real italian family, on a farm, enjoying nature, animals and organic food.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

I travelled with my three children (aged 15, 13 and 11) to Italy in April. For the four of us Italy farm stay was the unanimous favourite of all the places we stayed. We found the farm to be very relaxing after the hustle and bustle of cities and very much enjoyed sitting around on the verandah, or around the fire at night, talking to other guests and the volunteers from around the world along with Antonello and his family. We found the family and volunteers to be very inclusive, and felt like part a large family from the day we arrived. We participated in the activities of yoga, horseriding in the national park, visiting the local shepherd and making pasta with Maria. The activities were great and Antonello went out of his way to make sure that we were well looked after. I considered all these activities good value for money, with the visit to the local shepherd being the highlight. What struck me the most was Guiseppe's passion for his land and how content he was. Sitting all together at night, sharing a meal, conversation and a laugh at the same table was a really nice experience, and the meal (and Guiseppe's wine) is excellent value for money. Maria, Guiseppe and Antonello and family are very genuine people who open their farm and family to guests for a good part of the year. We would definitely return to Italy Farm Stay and would highly recommend it to anyone wishing to actually experience Italy, rather than just look at Italy.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Delft, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

One of my first impressions of the farm was that it was incredibly quiet. After the hassle of travelling and our oh-so-busy everyday lives in the city, it was such a breath of fresh air! In the evening we would build a fire and sit around with some of the volunteers as the rest of the farm goes to sleep. Besides the chatter, the crackling of te fire and the occasional strumming on a guitar, it was blissfully quiet.

We played card games and fussball during the day whenever we had time. After the dinner we chatted with each other and drank vino e birra. Without the distractions of modern technology, (phones and wifi) you were left to each others' company. And during my stay, I had the fortune to meet great people I had nice times with! Also, Antonello came and sat down with us one night and told us some of the funny stories he'd witnessed in all his years running the farm or when he was travelling. That was a 'big family' moment.

Because we came by car, we were able to move around a bit easier. We saw the nearby town of Alvito and walked up to the ruins of the castle. We did a one day trio to Pompei, Mt. Vesuvio and Naples. (Great trip. Easily doable in one day without having to rush!)

One word of advice: pack proper shoes and warm clothing as the temperature can drop rather quickly once the sun is set. Another thing to try: leave your phone in your room, go out with people to the local market, lose everyone and the just sit somewhere and have a birra while waiting for them to come find you! Seriously, it puts your dependence on modern technology in an entirely new perspective ;)

Even though I was staying as a guest, I got to help on the farm. That's what made me decide to come back in the summer as a volunteer, work on the land, help Giuseppe and learn some Italian ;)

The farm experience has really made an impression on me. I've talked to a lot of my friends about it and made them enthusiastic about it as well! I tell them that although it is a great way to enjoy life in a very laid-back way, it is also how people live their lives here, and that it is a way of life that needs to be respected.

• Stayed May 2011
Nikiness
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We really enjoyed our time at the farmstay with Antonello and his family. The mountain views are enough in themselves to sit back and enjoy all day. The value per person for the room we shared (three bed private room in the main house with a communal bathroom) was excellent.

The first night we were there, Antonello was not around as he was searching for a new showerhead for the bathroom (which I must say is amazing with different settings!). His mother, Maria, picked us up from Sora and we enjoyed our car ride with her and were offered a glass of wine as soon as we arrived and checked out their pictures from past stays and a book of activities we could do while we were there. This night we took her cooking class, which was slightly overpriced but was really fun and included dinner. Maria is a really fun lady and has a great laugh! We just wished we could have learned to make more than just the pasta, as our dinner included a few different dishes. But the food was great! We also asked to go to the cheese making place and she said she would have Antonello arrange it but I think forgot because when we asked Antonello about it, it was too late and we did not have an extra day to arrange it. Oh well! There is plenty of cheese to enjoy in town.

The second day, we went horseback riding. I may not be the best person to review this part since I had never been before and was a little nervous. Antonello came with us so he could teach me how to ride and translate. Even though I was really nervous the whole time it was the best part of the trip! They gave me a nice older horse that was really tame and good to ride for a beginner. The man who owns the ranch hung out with us afterwards and played some Garth Brooks DVDs even though he didn't speak any English. We loved him!

After we were finished riding, Antonello dropped us off in town at a fantastic deli type place where we bought cookies and sandwiches and we took the hike up to the castle. We REALLY enjoyed this as we love to hike! It had a great view of both the city and the mountains. Then we walked back to the farmstay, which is kind of far but we knew this in advance. It also made for good sleep that night.

Antonello woke up really early so he could drop us off at the bus to Naples at 6am. Frederico and Antonello made sure the bus stopped for us!

Overall, we had a great stay at the farm. Things to note: Make sure you ask for things... A tour of the farm, make sure your activities are booked, anything extra that you seem to need... They will gladly do it you just have to ask. You are a guest but you are a guest at a farmstay, not a guest in a friend's house. Things will not be free, this is how they make money. The home cooked dinner is excellent and at a great value compared to other restaurants in Italy, but don't expect it for free! It is also just that, a home cooked dinner! Very similar to my grandmothers dishes, so don't expect restaurant food! Just had to add that after reading some other reviews! Also-- you are going to a farm not a hotel, keep that in mind!

Also, the website says that there is wireless internet but this has been broken for a while. There is also a computer you can use for a euro an hour, but the internet itself was down so we did not get to use it. Not a necessity, especially when staying on a farm, but good to know if you will be there for a while and would like to communicate with people back home. I assume there are places in town, but we were there for such a short stay that it was not a factor.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

I spent three weeks at Italy Farmstay, located near Sora between Rome and Naples. After the hustle and bustle of hostel jumping, it was refreshing to find a place that both felt like home and consistently challenged me. In my relatively short stay, I felt almost like a member of the family while also getting to meet people from all over the world. I had the pleasure of going one day with guests from Holland, Italy and Israel on an amazing hike in a nearby town. In addition to providing guests with a hand-drawn map, Antonello & co. had painted markers along the path, including a final (much needed) "4 minutes" sign assuring those in doubt that the anticipated waterfall is coming up soon. (We still somehow managed to get lost a couple of times, but that was of our own accord.) The hike itself was ideal by my personal hiking standards – it was challenging physically at times on the way to and from the stream, and logistically when maneuvering back, forth, and up the stream toward the waterfall (note: it might help to have water shoes for the final stretch), but not so challenging that you couldn't enjoy the surroundings along the way.

My time here met so many of my overall travel goals: get to know people of various cultures, live symbiotically with nature, and be immersed in lifestyles significantly different from my own. I will always remember the people I met here and the experiences we shared. More information about the accommodations, activities, etc. can be found on http://www.Italyfarmstay.com.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Italy Farm Stay? Share your experiences!