“Some words of advice!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ballykealey Manor Hotel

Ballykealey Manor Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ballon
You added Ballykealey Manor Hotel to your Saves list
Ballon, Ballon, Ireland (Formerly Ballykealey Country House Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballon
Portlaoise, Ireland
“Some words of advice!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is a lovely building set in a lovely location in the middle of the country. It is in off the road but well signposted and advertising bar food. We stopped by yesterday on our way back from a walk in the beautiful Altamont Gardens. We fancied a nice warming bowl of soup. We were served promptly, but were disappointed with the quality and value for money. The soup had a distinct packet taste, complete with skin on top and was served in those shallow bowls you expect to get at a large function. Service was enthusiastic to a fault. We were approached by three different people to ask if we wanted dessert or coffee. We didn't really want either but eventually ordered coffee under duress. It was cold. We felt €15 for two mediocre bowls of soup and two cold coffees was bad value for money. I seldom write negative reviews, but I really believe if you have a business that is a bit out of the way to get to, you need to make the experience one that is worth going back for and one that people will spread a good message for you! It doesn't take much to provide really good homemade soup in nice crockery. While I appreciate that staff were being helpful and enthusiastic, there needs to be some coordination to avoid customers feeling somewhat harassed!

• Stayed September 2012
Ballykealey, General Manager at Ballykealey Manor Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out to review your visit to Ballykealey Manor Hotel. I am sorry to hear you did not find it to your satisfaction and am only sorry you did not mention it to us personnally. The soup of the day was Courgette and Rosemary, as far as I can tell, not available in packets!! Fresh made that morning and served with our homemade brown bread. The shallow bowls are standard to most hotels and indeed I have encountered these myself in many an hotel throughout the country. I am sorry you felt 'harassed' by being approached by 3 different members of staff, including myself, however we value our high standard of service and attention to our customers needs. I myself made the coffee for you, and served it to your table straight away, I am only sorry that you did not bring it to our attention then and there and we could have replaced it for you.
Many thanks,
Michael Long

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Wicklow, Wicklow, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

attended a wedding so disappointed from start to finish some staff were sloppy none seemed to have had any training food was terrible like stuck back in time main course was all on plate no silver service not the thing for a wedding poor service very slow to bring out and long periods between courses dessert was a disgrace ..worst wedding food i ever received champagne was poured from bottles to jugs to glasses so no fizz left lazy.it goes from bad to worse the accommodation was terrible also especially for the money 150 euro for a room with a little portable tv no cable move around the room to get four fuzzy channels, no bath and bathroom dirty no tea making facilities bedding looks washed out absolutely disgraceful for the money a 5 star hotel charges the same and i wouldnt give it 1 star !!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Ballon hotels

co laois, ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here this weekend for a family wedding and I just had to share our fantastic experience. The staff were truly lovely people who just couldn't do enough for you, the hotel and the lodges outside were spotlessly clean and spacious and the food was just fabulous. I couldn't praise it enough

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kilkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Just back from a midweek break in Carlow. This has to be one of the hidden gems of the south east , long winding avenue with lambs in the fields lead to a truly magical manor house. Ballykealey comes with all the nooks and crannies , four poster beds , acres and acres of wonderful grounds ...the perfect chill out zone of the South East. Many thanks to Ian and Roy and all the staff for a wonderful stay , great nights sleep , super food , value for money , fantastic experience , we'll be back !

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

When deciding on a day out last Sunday my wife spotted a post regarding the Pointer Setter Dog Show at Ballykealey Manor Hotel and being canine enthusiasts we decided to go along. We had never been to the Hotel before and were not sure what to expect. Not only did we enjoy the Dog show despite the odd damp shower but when we went inside the Hotel for our lunch we were pleasently surprised and enthralled. At first we thought it all looked a bit grand for us but no sooner had we stepped into reception but we could feel totally relaxed and at home. The staff in the dining area were friendly and helpful and the food was excellent. My favourite was the dessert which was Bread & Butter Pudding. I could not resist as I had not tasted this since my own poor mother many moons ago had made it for me. It was even better than I expected and I applaud Ballykealey for their wonderful menu and friendly and efficient customer service. After lunch we took a nice relaxing walk around the grouds and felt as they we were transported into another world. When we returned home we both felt relaxed happy and refreshed for the week ahead and can assure you we will be making many more trips to Ballykealey in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Ballykealey country house looks so inviting, the setting so lovely in the midst of beautiful trees and wide expanses of grassland. The building itself is very attractive and the dining room has a relaxing even enchanting atmosphere. A number of us visited there for Sunday lunch recently as we understood that it had recently re-opened for business. On this note, we were willing to be impressed with their renewed efforts in a time of trading when all the stops need to be pulled out, especially when a business is running in the countryside. This was not to be! The service was haphazard and un-coordinated, portions of food minimal. As a party of six, we received 2 small dishes of tasteless vegetables, plus 2 soupbowls (!!) of very mediocre mashed potato. Our veg arrived when we were almost halfway through eating our main courses. There was a very long delay between courses. In general, the food was of a poor standard and presentation. My own dish (pan fried cod with lemon butter, I had asked for the butter to be served separately) arrived swimming in a pool of the butter was seasoned so heavily with salt it made my eyes water! it was a pity because it was probably the best dish served that day with a very nice salsa served underneath the fish. Another of our party received a cremated chicken breast (crumbed!!) with a half roast potato which was also cremated to point of blackness. Salmon terrine (as a starter) was unlike any I have ever eaten before, and do not wish to again.. Mushroom soup served with a pastry cap received a good response from some of the other guests.The bread served in a basket without a napkin to line it, spread its crumbs over the entire table. A simple cup of tea proved to be a new experience, indescribable to all who tasted it but it did look and taste very like green tea.. As I was an invited guest, I made no complaint. However, I really hope that the general standard there improves, Ballykealey has so much potential..

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Ballykealey, General Manager at Ballykealey Manor Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
I acknowledge your recent Experience at Ballykealey Manor Hotel and thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback on Tripadvisor.com.

It is very important to me that our guests have a good experience throughout the entire hotel and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed, in any way, at what I believe we do best. The least you should expect from a hotel such as ours is to be served in a professional and efficient manner at all times and I am sorry that this was not the case. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience we may have caused you and I assure you that it is certainly not the norm here. I have spoken in length with my Team and although, it may be of little comfort to you now, I am certain that no future guest will have to experience such a poor standard of service.

I hope to welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future and look forward to meeting you personally once again so that I can extend you every courtesy.

Assuring you of my personal service at all times,
Ian Farrell
Ballon
Co. Carlow
Ireland
carlow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

this so called hotel was the worst experience i have ever had in a so called hotel. i was attending a funeral meal at this hotel and the first thing i noticed was the delay in serving the people ,then we as a party of four had to go search for a table and chairs,
the food was prepared the day before and reheated and cremated in a mircowave oven,
any time we asked the staff for assistance we were greeted with unapproving looks and one female staff who was pregnant really needs a few lessons in good manners.
the draft beer was undrinkable and the barman proceded to shut down the bar at 7.o clock pm. when some people enquired about rooms they were told that the bedrooms were unavailible even though the hotel was empty. the hotel is now only open at weekends SURPRISE SURPRISE

Room Tip: dont bother