“Best steak I ever had” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Arthurstown
Western Ireland, Ireland
“Best steak I ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

I popped in here last night as I was staying
Nearby, it was reccomended to me by the locals,
I decided to walk since it was a lovely evening.. The grounds are peaceful & quiet, lot of couples out for a stroll.
The house seem busy, lot of activity. The staff make me welcome the minute I walked in the door & directed me to the bar.
The bar menu had a good selection. What really impressed me was the prices were realistic. Main course, 15/20 euro.
The steak was the best I ever had. Service was excellent.
I will be back again when in the area.

• Stayed January 2013
dunbrody, General Manager at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Liambourke,

We were delighted to read your review of your dinner experience with us recently.

So glad that you enjoyed the steak and found our prices reasonable.

Fingers crossed we will see you again soon!

Best Wishes,

416 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed three nights at Dunbrody and really enjoyed it. The hotel is really pretty, and is decorated with a lot of attention to detail. Our room was spacious and comfortable with a great view over the gardens. Phone signal is patchy so it's actually a great place to switch off and sit by the fire with afternoon tea, or a glass of vino. We did both :). The food is really good, but a huge difference in price between the bar and the restaurant. Whilst the food in the restaurant is beautiful, it's a little quiet and formal at night. The menu is three courses rather than strictly a la carte which feels a little restrictive, however the quality was excellent. The staff were really great and I'd love to go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear purplesnack,

Thank you very much for your recent review of our hotel here at Dunbrody Country House.

We appreciate the positive feedback regarding the food and design of the hotel.

Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to see us in the not too distant future.

Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This highly rated restaurant/hotel/catering school is located in Arthurstown, near Passage East in the south west of Wexford. It's owned and operated by celebrity chef Kevin Dundon and has been highly praised. The danger with high expectations, however, is that they can be difficult to achieve. We visited on a freezing November evening and the floodlit building and the welcoming fire in the bar were most impressive. We chose to eat in the bar (with its fire) and so ordered off the bar food menu, which was, we were told, much the same as the restaurant. The food was good. The chowder was bit sharp (for my taste) and the fish and chips were tasty and well cooked. However, the experience, which was not cheap, did not have the “wow” factor that we hoped for. Definitely worth another try when we're back there, but not taking my breath away yet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
dunbrody, General Manager at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear JoeFrancis,

Thank you for your visit to our property here at Dunbrody.

I am glad that you enjoyed your food experience in the Champagne & Seafood Bar. We look forward to your next visit in which we hope to impress you even more!

Best Regards,
cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

spent thurs nite dec 20th at dunbrody, really lovely house and staff are excellent and very welcoming, arrived after midday which was too early for lunch but paul organised tea and scones for us which was greatly appreciated, stayed in 208, well serviced room,
had taster menu, thought it was disappointing, ham hock and pork on the same menu lacked imagination, breads were fab, service good but thought taster menu would be explained at each course, would love to do ala carte next time, excellent wines,

breakfast was amazing, so fresh, scrambled egg and smoked salmon the best ever, big bonus breakfast being served til 12,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
dunbrody, General Manager at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear germul,

Thank you for your recent review of your staff with us in December.

We appreciate your positive feedback regarding the service, the decor and breakfast.

I am sorry to read that you were not completely satisfied with the Tasting Menu, your comments will be passed on to the Head Chef.

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your custom.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

From the lovely entrance gates to the driveway and then your arrival to the main house you know this is something special. Step inside to a beautifully maintained luxury country house. We were there for dining and this proved to be equally wonderful.

I just love old, antique, red painted dining rooms. It reminds me of my parents and for me red is the only way for a dining room. Yes I also love bright modern ones but this is calming and a lovely warm atmosphere.

The waiting staff are friendly and professional. We waited for nothing and every course served perfectly. Keeping an eye on us all was the lovely and charming Catherine Dundon who runs a first class show in her dining room. It was just so relaxing with no fuss or bother and just the hum of gentle conversation to break the air. My gorgeous GF brought me here for my birthday as it was one place I always wanted to eat at and my little birthday cake at the end was a nice touch.

Her husband Kevin is the culinary master of the kitchens behind this beautiful food. Cooked to perfection, artistically plated and served piping hot....cold food to me is like a red rag to a bull! From the unusual cod with oxtail, both really good, to one of my favourites crispy pork belly, all were excellent.

Yes we thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Dunbrody and it is easy to see why this gets such great reviews.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Harleyclarkey,

Many thanks for your wonderful review of our property here at Dunbrody Country House.

We really appreciate the positive feedback and are so glad that you enjoyed your dining experience with us for your birthday treat.

We look forward to welcoming you back to see you soon.

Best Regards,
Clonmel, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Another lovely stay in Dunbrody House, as we got a fabulous Grabone deal for B&B and a taster menu. We arrived in time to have some lunch and a drink in the bar - ordered an open sandwich which was just okay, and a side of fries which were divine! Relaxed by the fire and read all the Sunday papers for an hour as the hotel has really cosy, inviting reception rooms. Our room was lovely and looked out on the garden. We had a drink in the bar before dinner and received cheese straws and dip, which is a nice touch. The previous time we stayed here, we dined from the a la carte menu and were delighted with our food, however the taster menu was very disappointing. We found the portion sizes fine, but a lot of the courses were mostly protein and some could have done with a litte carb added! For example, we had a smoked salmon course and a pate course, both of which would have been greatly improved by a little brown bread and/or melba toast or brioche. Neither of us enjoyed the potato salad or the parfait for desert. However, the pate, sorbet, brill and petit fours were just delicious. Breakfast the next morning was very good, and made even better by the fact that it's served til 12. Bought the whiskey marmalade and jam to take home and give as gifts. Overall, I really like this hotel. The staff are so welcoming, and the atmostphere is relaxed and cosy while catering for your every need.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jadtj,

I have just read your review of your stay with us recently and thank you for your constructive feedback.

All of your comments regarding the food have been passed on to our Head Chef and will be reviewed.
Delighted to read that you enjoyed the cosy reception areas with the fires lighting and the late breakfast in the dining room.

We appreciate the review and look forward to your return to Dunbrody House.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Myself and 6 friends had been doing 'Come Dine With Me' for the last 6 months and had said at the end of it we would treat ourselves to a lovely meal for our Christmas night out. One of the girls heard about Dunbrody House and booked us into the lodge as it could sleep the 7 of us, we were all looking forward to it and it did not disappoint! The lodge was full of character and spacious and having the open fire was a great touch. I thought it reminded me of a house from the movie The Holiday! We sat around the fire with the Christmas music on and a bottle of bubbly while we exchange gifts, it was very Christmassy. That night we headed over to the main house where we were greeted with friendly and helpful staff. Everyone was lovely and nothing was a problem. Catherine gave us lots of information on the menu, the wine, the house, everything. It was very relaxed, personal and the food was amazing. We did not feel rushed to finish up and vacate the table like you do in some restaurants, in fact we were the last ones there and left only when we had our fill, about 4 hours later. The only negative thing I can say is that the only thing lacking from the lodge was a Christmas tree or decorations but in saying that we made our own festive mood with the fire and the Christmas music and there was plenty of decorations up in the main house. You couldn't want for anything, we had trouble lighting the fire at first but I went over to the main house and 5 minutes later there was a knock at the door with someone there to help. I would definitely recommend Dunbrody House and I will definitely be going back, I never got to experience the Spa so that will be on my next list! Great accommodation, staff, food and service. Cannot fault a thing. Wishing Catherine and all staff a very happy Christmas and hopefully see you all soon. Thanks again for all your help!

Room Tip: We had the lodge and it was definitely worthwhile for the 7 of us in terms of room, value and space...