“taster menu” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Arthurstown
cork
“taster menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

spent thurs nite dec 20th at dunbrody, really lovely house and staff are excellent and very welcoming, arrived after midday which was too early for lunch but paul organised tea and scones for us which was greatly appreciated, stayed in 208, well serviced room,
had taster menu, thought it was disappointing, ham hock and pork on the same menu lacked imagination, breads were fab, service good but thought taster menu would be explained at each course, would love to do ala carte next time, excellent wines,

breakfast was amazing, so fresh, scrambled egg and smoked salmon the best ever, big bonus breakfast being served til 12,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
dunbrody, General Manager at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear germul,

Thank you for your recent review of your staff with us in December.

We appreciate your positive feedback regarding the service, the decor and breakfast.

I am sorry to read that you were not completely satisfied with the Tasting Menu, your comments will be passed on to the Head Chef.

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your custom.

386 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

From the lovely entrance gates to the driveway and then your arrival to the main house you know this is something special. Step inside to a beautifully maintained luxury country house. We were there for dining and this proved to be equally wonderful.

I just love old, antique, red painted dining rooms. It reminds me of my parents and for me red is the only way for a dining room. Yes I also love bright modern ones but this is calming and a lovely warm atmosphere.

The waiting staff are friendly and professional. We waited for nothing and every course served perfectly. Keeping an eye on us all was the lovely and charming Catherine Dundon who runs a first class show in her dining room. It was just so relaxing with no fuss or bother and just the hum of gentle conversation to break the air. My gorgeous GF brought me here for my birthday as it was one place I always wanted to eat at and my little birthday cake at the end was a nice touch.

Her husband Kevin is the culinary master of the kitchens behind this beautiful food. Cooked to perfection, artistically plated and served piping hot....cold food to me is like a red rag to a bull! From the unusual cod with oxtail, both really good, to one of my favourites crispy pork belly, all were excellent.

Yes we thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Dunbrody and it is easy to see why this gets such great reviews.

Dear Harleyclarkey,

Many thanks for your wonderful review of our property here at Dunbrody Country House.

We really appreciate the positive feedback and are so glad that you enjoyed your dining experience with us for your birthday treat.

We look forward to welcoming you back to see you soon.

Best Regards,
Clonmel, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Another lovely stay in Dunbrody House, as we got a fabulous Grabone deal for B&B and a taster menu. We arrived in time to have some lunch and a drink in the bar - ordered an open sandwich which was just okay, and a side of fries which were divine! Relaxed by the fire and read all the Sunday papers for an hour as the hotel has really cosy, inviting reception rooms. Our room was lovely and looked out on the garden. We had a drink in the bar before dinner and received cheese straws and dip, which is a nice touch. The previous time we stayed here, we dined from the a la carte menu and were delighted with our food, however the taster menu was very disappointing. We found the portion sizes fine, but a lot of the courses were mostly protein and some could have done with a litte carb added! For example, we had a smoked salmon course and a pate course, both of which would have been greatly improved by a little brown bread and/or melba toast or brioche. Neither of us enjoyed the potato salad or the parfait for desert. However, the pate, sorbet, brill and petit fours were just delicious. Breakfast the next morning was very good, and made even better by the fact that it's served til 12. Bought the whiskey marmalade and jam to take home and give as gifts. Overall, I really like this hotel. The staff are so welcoming, and the atmostphere is relaxed and cosy while catering for your every need.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jadtj,

I have just read your review of your stay with us recently and thank you for your constructive feedback.

All of your comments regarding the food have been passed on to our Head Chef and will be reviewed.
Delighted to read that you enjoyed the cosy reception areas with the fires lighting and the late breakfast in the dining room.

We appreciate the review and look forward to your return to Dunbrody House.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Myself and 6 friends had been doing 'Come Dine With Me' for the last 6 months and had said at the end of it we would treat ourselves to a lovely meal for our Christmas night out. One of the girls heard about Dunbrody House and booked us into the lodge as it could sleep the 7 of us, we were all looking forward to it and it did not disappoint! The lodge was full of character and spacious and having the open fire was a great touch. I thought it reminded me of a house from the movie The Holiday! We sat around the fire with the Christmas music on and a bottle of bubbly while we exchange gifts, it was very Christmassy. That night we headed over to the main house where we were greeted with friendly and helpful staff. Everyone was lovely and nothing was a problem. Catherine gave us lots of information on the menu, the wine, the house, everything. It was very relaxed, personal and the food was amazing. We did not feel rushed to finish up and vacate the table like you do in some restaurants, in fact we were the last ones there and left only when we had our fill, about 4 hours later. The only negative thing I can say is that the only thing lacking from the lodge was a Christmas tree or decorations but in saying that we made our own festive mood with the fire and the Christmas music and there was plenty of decorations up in the main house. You couldn't want for anything, we had trouble lighting the fire at first but I went over to the main house and 5 minutes later there was a knock at the door with someone there to help. I would definitely recommend Dunbrody House and I will definitely be going back, I never got to experience the Spa so that will be on my next list! Great accommodation, staff, food and service. Cannot fault a thing. Wishing Catherine and all staff a very happy Christmas and hopefully see you all soon. Thanks again for all your help!

Room Tip: We had the lodge and it was definitely worthwhile for the 7 of us in terms of room, value and space...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have read a lot of the reviews for this hotel and was left baffled by some of the negative ones, myself and girlfriend have just returned from a wonderful night at the Dunbrody Country House Hotel, the staff couldn't have been friendlier, our room was beautiful, with amazing views of the fantastic gardens. We had the 8 course tasting menu, food was amazing, some people commented that the portions were small, I thought that was the case with all tasting menus, we didn't need sides as we were very well fed with the tasting menu, and each course was fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel to friends and family. Thank you for a wonderful stay, and we will see you again for sure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I had a really good two night stay at Dunbrody House. The house has a relaxed atmosphere with several lounges where you can cosy up in front of an open fire and read a book or newspaper. The rooms all seem to be fairly large and probably about 15ft+ in height. Lots of old antique furntiture and soft furnishings. The service was also very good. I had quite high expectations of the food because a lot is made of the fact the hotel is owned by a "celebrity" chef,however this is the one area that I feel could be improved upon. We ate both in the restaurant and the bar and neither lived up to my expectation. The bar is advertised as a seafood bar but there were only two fish items on the menu, cod in batter and a crab tian (which was about 80% mayonnaise). I would go back and stay again but I might not choose to eat all my meals there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
dunbrody, General Manager at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear z33,

Thank you for your review; we appreciate all of your comments.

Just to clarify a point regarding the menu in the bar it actually has more than two seafood items:

- Duncannon Seafood Chowder, Arthurstown Smoked Salmon Platter, Kilmore Quay Crab Cocktail, Haddock Smokies, Fishermans Seafood Pie, Beer Battered Fish & Chips and the Pan Fried Fish of the Day.

I do not mean to be picky but it does not reflect well on us when you say there are only two when other readers & prospective guests of ours are reading your comments. I do appreciate the comment on the crab cocktail and will discuss with our Head Chef "Robbie".

I am glad you liked the bedrooms and the service that our staff provided while you stayed with us. Once again thank you for your feedback; we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Seasons Greetings,
Cork Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed in Dunbrody House in November and had a wonderful night. From the moment we set foot in the hotel and met by the lovely Samantha we were treated very well . Our room was lovely ,Samantha made sure the heating was up full as it was a very wet and cold night. We had a fabulous tasting meal and Olive took exceptional care of us . Breakfast was also wonderful . All in all we had a fanastic night and most definitely will be back .

Dear KatieBirdCorkIreland,

Many thanks for your kind review of your stay with us in November.

We appreciate the lovely comments regarding the Tasting menu, breakfast and of course the lovely Samantha.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to us again in the near future.

Paul Mernagh

Been to Dunbrody Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!